What's new

Question - Cryomancer Looking for more starter options.

Durango

Enhancer
Just faced a really good Mileena. He had a number of methods to play keep-away with me (NJP, Sai Toss, Low Sais, Teleport), so getting in can be a real hassle. I'm looking for ways to close the distance and get them.

B2 and F4 seem to be helpful. In both cases, I can go right into EX Hammer for a starter. Most of the time, I've been trying to fish for a jump-in punch into B33 or B21, the latter which can be blocked high or low. I'll try to get in with B3, but if they have better spacing, I cannot, and thus cannot train them to block low for a B2 or Hammer.

I use Cryomancer Sub-Zero, and while his bnb starters are B33, B21, and B2, the Mileena I was playing started his combos with EX Roll, EX Teleport, and various other overhead-low combos where he could get in quickly, not to mention the frametraps where he could Roll at any time, especially if he created space.

Any other good options and starters to consider, especially if he likes to jump a lot and make my EX Hammer seem like a not-so-good option?

MC Jihad

Noob
Honestly, those are all you're really gonna start with. It comes down to mindgames. For example with Mileena, if you're spaced and she's been throwing sai, ex ice ball in advance to eat it and freeze her. You could run at her and see if she does a special, if so be ready to block or use an ex hammer to punish, if she doesn't you've gotten in and can hit her with a mix-up. If you're able to block her strings and get her in the openings she won't be able to keep you away or anyone for that matter... Except maybe Kenshi, but fuck Kenshi

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Block high if you think she's gonna roll or teleport , don't need to block low for her roll , don't know why but you dont

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I feel like 12... is pretty ambiguous, and the 2nd hit has ridiculous speed and range. 12 xx hammer for high > low > overhead mixed with 12 xx slide for high > low > low (use the latter sparingly since cray punishable). Mixing in the fast 114 (high, mid, low) and 11 xx hammer (high, mid, OH) should be good as well.

A lot of players out there are so used to GM Sub that they'll probably have never seen these strings in a mix up. Especially not 114. You'll likely have to use the raw string a lot to train people to block that low.