What's new

Question Lobos neutral game + other stuff

Hi guys. This will be my first post in this forum, aswell as Injustice being the first 2d fighter for me to play, so bear with me.
So I just picked up this game and Lobo will be my main, that much I know for sure.
Now a couple of questions came up within the first 2 days of playing it, and they are a mixture of lobo and general questions so I hope I chose the right place to post. Correct me if I didnt.

- What should I do in the neutral game as lobo when Im playing a non-zoning character? Against lets say Deathstroke I just try to get in as a gameplan, so to say. But what do I do against someone like superman for example. Should I try to get in asap? Or play a spacing game and wait for him to whiff?
How do I open him up when he is half a screen away from me?
-Whats lobos gameplan? Go in or rather stay at midrange? Are db3 and db2 good moves to just throw out or should I use a different approach?
-I feel like 113 and b1,2 are extremly good, how can I set them up though?
-What moves to use to get meter?
-What are lobos wakeup attacks? Cant really find any info on this.
-What do you generally use to whiffpunish? I feel like he doesnt really have sth like that.
-How do I stop people from jumping around all day? Any specific moves that counter such behaviour?
As I said, Ive never played a 2d fighter so I dont really know how to deal with jumping and how to utilize it other than dodging obvious projectiles :p
-bf3 is really bad on block according to ingame data. But I dont really know how this works in 2d games, so can someone punish this move on block?

okay, thats all I can think off right now. Should suffice lol.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Hi guys. This will be my first post in this forum, aswell as Injustice being the first 2d fighter for me to play, so bear with me.
So I just picked up this game and Lobo will be my main, that much I know for sure.
Now a couple of questions came up within the first 2 days of playing it, and they are a mixture of lobo and general questions so I hope I chose the right place to post. Correct me if I didnt.

- What should I do in the neutral game as lobo when Im playing a non-zoning character? Against lets say Deathstroke I just try to get in as a gameplan, so to say. But what do I do against someone like superman for example. Should I try to get in asap? Or play a spacing game and wait for him to whiff?
How do I open him up when he is half a screen away from me?
-Whats lobos gameplan? Go in or rather stay at midrange? Are db3 and db2 good moves to just throw out or should I use a different approach?
-I feel like 113 and b1,2 are extremly good, how can I set them up though?
-What moves to use to get meter?
-What are lobos wakeup attacks? Cant really find any info on this.
-What do you generally use to whiffpunish? I feel like he doesnt really have sth like that.
-How do I stop people from jumping around all day? Any specific moves that counter such behaviour?
As I said, Ive never played a 2d fighter so I dont really know how to deal with jumping and how to utilize it other than dodging obvious projectiles :p
-bf3 is really bad on block according to ingame data. But I dont really know how this works in 2d games, so can someone punish this move on block?

okay, thats all I can think off right now. Should suffice lol.
Lobo is in a relatively bad way right now, but he is definitely a fun character and has alot of cool flavor, so here is some advice based on your questions.

-Neutral game: It doesn't matter so much what the match up is, Lobo pretty much always needs to get in. you can catch them from a decent distance with 2 1 bf3 and things like that, or just snag them with db3 to pull them in, but unless you are spacing against a 3x venom Bane or something, you want them right next to you so that you can put the pressure on. Once they're in, you can use the 21 string for some decent mixup (if they block 21, you can go right into a command grab [but it wiffs if they don't block...]) since the second hit is overhead, or go low with b1 2, though this doesn't really link up with anything (I usually do b12 trait to load a shell as they fall), and even use d3 in air- the dive is slow, but effective on a short hop and can cross them up.
-Gameplan: Like I said, get in there. He is a threat from mild threat from mid, but his real damage is when you are in their face and can get that command grab in for a nice combo.
-113 and b12: b12 is good but limited because the pop up isn't long enough, so I generally finish the combo with 1+3 or load a shell. 113 is good for corner stuff to some extent, but doesn't do much to help from mid. You can lead into the command grab with it though.
-Gaining Meter: Lobo doesn't really have a move that does this effectively, you pretty much have to fight for it. Use some of the mid-range specials as mixup (db3, df1 if you are a bit closer, and bf3 to get in), but thats about it.
-Wake-ups: He's lacking right now. bf3 is good if they are at JUST the right spot in the air or anywhere in front of you, and df1 is the fastest option you have if they are putting alot of pressure on you, along with db3 since he kinda ducks and avoids them to some degree. Pretty sure none of them have invulnerability frames though...
-Punish: command grab MB leads into Lobo's BnB (b3 ji2 (or ji3) 21 bf3 (or f21 bf3)) for somewhere in the low 40's. I try to lead in with b2u1, 12 MB grab, but the b2u1 is slow. Starting with a ji2 if you have time works well, but your best bet is to just grab them starting out, and then figure out what to add in before hand as you get the timing down. (Note* timing the b3 after the MB toss is a bit tricky; I think there is a forum for it somewhere, but basically you need to wait and hit it right as they reach the peak of the bounce after Lobo slams them)
-bf3 on block: I think it is punishable normally, but you have plus frames on block if you MB it, so you'll be at the advantage and right up close. One of his better moves, but needs some work.

Since you seem like you are just starting out and interested in Lobo, PND_Ketchup Chaosphere have posted a bunch of guide stuff in the Lobo forum, so check out some of that, it should help get you started. Hope this helps!

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
His best anti airs are D2 and Standing 3. D2 for sweep distance and 3 for jump distance.

In a neutral situation, his standing 3 is your best friend, as it can lead to shotgun/low chain for a solid wiff punish considering the range it has. And the potential setup you get from low chain.

Also, against characters with no projectiles, 2,1 is a string you can afford to use more. As the opponent is less inclined to keep running away out of range, as they have to get in to do damage.

Chain charge is at least -20 on block, meaning any more that starts up in 20 frames of less will punish it for free on block, so if you're going to use it on its own, make sure you use the MB version to make it safe.

Thanks! Now since he doesnt have any wakeup options that give invulnerability, are there any other ways to get up from a knd? The character just stands up straight by itself even, are there other ways? Techrolls? Should i just press down when i got knocked down so I stand up blocking lows? Im really puzzled what to do when I get knocked down as I dont know the mechanics at all.
I had a match where I was trapped in the corner by nightwing and he just kept on doing some overhead looking flip and I kept eating it. What should I have done? Just press b after knockdown?

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Thanks! Now since he doesnt have any wakeup options that give invulnerability, are there any other ways to get up from a knd? The character just stands up straight by itself even, are there other ways? Techrolls? Should i just press down when i got knocked down so I stand up blocking lows? Im really puzzled what to do when I get knocked down as I dont know the mechanics at all.
I had a match where I was trapped in the corner by nightwing and he just kept on doing some overhead looking flip and I kept eating it. What should I have done? Just press b after knockdown?
Well, if your wakeup shotgun doesn't work (which is his best wakeup, imo.. but still isn't completely invincible), then your best bet in the corner is to just try and push block them away. You can go for a mb b3 or f3 if they are using a slow move, but honestly... push block is your safest bet.

I didnt actually try wakeup shotgun as I didnt know that its an option. Ill definatly try that, thanks!
Just to make sure, pushblocking is using your MB while blocking, right?
MB b3 and f3 would absorb a hit if I recall correctly - so that wouldve beaten his flip on wakeup? Need to go to the lab and test that.
err...so just to make sure, this game has no wakeup options other than standing up or using a wakeup attack, is that correct?

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I didnt actually try wakeup shotgun as I didnt know that its an option. Ill definatly try that, thanks!
Just to make sure, pushblocking is using your MB while blocking, right?
MB b3 and f3 would absorb a hit if I recall correctly - so that wouldve beaten his flip on wakeup? Need to go to the lab and test that.
err...so just to make sure, this game has no wakeup options other than standing up or using a wakeup attack, is that correct?
Yeah push block is using mb while blocking to push them away.

Mb b3 and f3 will absorb a hit, but won't come out as a wakeup attack so you just have to be sure you have enough time to stand up and do it real quick. It takes 5 frames for the armor to activate according to @GGA 16bit

Your options on wake up are wake up attacks, simply get up, or tech roll depending on whether or not you were put on the ground by a hard knock down. Hard knock downs do not allow you to tech roll forcing you to either stand up or wake up attack.

Thanks alot! You answered every question I had, kudos to that patience :D
So far, Lobo is a lot of fun. It wasnt apperant right away how to make him work and what his playstyle is, so to me its fun to figure out what to do to make him work. I also like how he has real combos unlike some other chars in the cast - they are very rewarding damage wise too.
Just a little hard to do online sometimes. I think I need to cut down some of my combos to make them online viable :/.

I also havent figured out a good way to load his trait yet. Everytime I could load it, I feel like the oki or the combo that Im missing out on is more valuable than the tiny damage boost. On full distance it still takes so long to recover from the load animation that pretty much everyone in the cast can punish me for doing it :/

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Thanks alot! You answered every question I had, kudos to that patience :D
So far, Lobo is a lot of fun. It wasnt apperant right away how to make him work and what his playstyle is, so to me its fun to figure out what to do to make him work. I also like how he has real combos unlike some other chars in the cast - they are very rewarding damage wise too.
Just a little hard to do online sometimes. I think I need to cut down some of my combos to make them online viable :/.

I also havent figured out a good way to load his trait yet. Everytime I could load it, I feel like the oki or the combo that Im missing out on is more valuable than the tiny damage boost. On full distance it still takes so long to recover from the load animation that pretty much everyone in the cast can punish me for doing it :/
Yeah I throw the trait out at full screen usually. I try not to up close because he still has better options for full damage and I don't want to risk getting full combo'd.

I kind of just use it at a time where I can't be punished or when i think they'll hesitate for a second. But for matchups like killer frost... You have to be reallllly careful.

And as far as combos go... training mode training mode training mode forever.

I got the combos down offline np. They are not hard to do. But online they just randomly drop when I use the same timing, so for that purpose cutting them down to a more solid online version is a good idea. At least for me :p

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Chain charge is at least -20 on block, meaning any more that starts up in 20 frames of less will punish it for free on block, so if you're going to use it on its own, make sure you use the MB version to make it safe.
I verified a while back: I put Hook Charge at about -8. Lex's Corp Charge (6 frames) always punished on block. Sinestro's Fear Blast (9 frames) never punishes. Deathstroke's sword SPIN (8 frames) always hit, Sword FLIP (8 frames) Sometimes punishes, sometimes not. I figure it was based on the slight inconsistency of the sword flip. Still punishable in general, but you'd be surprise how much you can get away with being punished at low/intermediate levels.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
I verified a while back: I put Hook Charge at about -8. Lex's Corp Charge (6 frames) always punished on block. Sinestro's Fear Blast (9 frames) never punishes. Deathstroke's sword SPIN (8 frames) always hit, Sword FLIP (8 frames) Sometimes punishes, sometimes not. I figure it was based on the slight inconsistency of the sword flip. Still punishable in general, but you'd be surprise how much you can get away with being punished at low/intermediate levels.
Hmmm, interesting.

I never get away with it when I play, considering I always play against foxy/glue/omega etc, those assholes don't let me get away with anything. Dicks.