What's new

Lobo Patch Notes

Dulllyanna

You're going to shoot guns at me?
Instant jd3 is unreactable, safe on block outside of maybe full bar Superman, and gives a hard knockdown that allows for meaty throw setup. I'm sorry Lobo doesn't have Black Adam b23 or Catwoman f1 in addition to his 9 frame low and long-range command throw, maybe you should consider switching. Oh wait Catwoman's low is 14 frames, guess she's too slow.

ceemurda Those aren't "free" at all. Unless Batgirl is 100% reacting with teleport then she's risking eating a full combo on block and can't make it safe, Bane's tackle can be made to whiff then punished relatively easily, Doomsday's EX tackle requires meter, Scorpion's requires meter to make it +(Which is really damned good and annoying, but he's a huge meter whore anyways). Grundy's corpse walk cancel is really strong, but some characters pretty naturally body it anyways (Black Adam and Superman being the most blatant ones). Lex has more problems with zoners than Lobo, it's hard for him to get his shit out and get things going against knowledgeable players and his dash recovery is garbage so he really needs that trait cancel. Being patient and perceptive of player's tendencies goes a very long way with Lobo, and any character for that matter. That said, I'm not opposed to having immediate armor on MB bf3. It's just that would much rather have his trait reworked before anything else.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
not like crouch blocking can fix that or anything. and its also not like his overheads can be reacted to or anything but youre right, one fast little toe poke in his moveset and he might as well be on par with scorpions speed
The 11 frame mid leads to a true 50/50 and full combo off of each if you have trait.

Raegn21

Noob
Instant jd3 is unreactable, safe on block outside of maybe full bar Superman, and gives a hard knockdown that allows for meaty throw setup. I'm sorry Lobo doesn't have Black Adam b23 or Catwoman f1 in addition to his 9 frame low and long-range command throw, maybe you should consider switching. Oh wait Catwoman's low is 14 frames, guess she's too slow.

not sure who youve been fighting but i never block low against Lobo except on reaction to his low hook. if more people learn to just stay up and quit crouching then what will you do? i assume grab, use the b1 string, or use his f23 string. but how far can you really get with just that i wonder?

as much as i love Lobo and would simply love to main him or even use him more often, all im saying is that without a decent way to get in close he needs to be put on hold for now unless youre just the ballsiest person in the world and go for it anyway. doesnt matter how fast he is if he cant get close consistently to use it or even keep em close to continue doing so

Dulllyanna

Or 2 xx low shot, especially if I have trait up, which is easily guaranteed if I hit with a b12. And if anybody gets grabbed when Lobo has meter then they get put into what's one of the overall safest oki setups in the game as long as Lobo always ends his combos in bf3. Also I like how you said crouch block "fixes" his b12, and now you're saying block low against Lobo. Are you going to say jumping fixes his grab and not jumping fixes his AAs next?

I still don't see how so many people apparently are never able to get in with a character that has the best dash in the game and solid jump-ins + A2As. Other players are apparently doing just fine with characters that have shittier dashes and normals. My problem with Lobo is characters that heavily outplay him at close to neutral range (Superman, Grundy, NW, Black Adam), not characters that just force me to be a little patient and smart b/c they have a full screen presence.

Raegn21

Noob
that was for when you mentioned his 11 frame mid and 9 frame low. crouch blocking stops both thanks to this horrible engine or whatever its called they have where mids dont counter ducking and theres no longer a dedicated block button or any decent type of defense system set up for this game. wheres the breakers when you need them?

but that was a situational comment, overall theres no real reason to block low against him just as theres no real reason to block high against Aquaman. the number of Aquaman players that will actually adjust to crouch blocking (from what ive seen) is relatively low. most of them are too busy trying to spam fullscreen anyway.

also, youre part about jumping fixes his grab and not jumping fixes his antiair sounds about right. not jumping wont let his AA touch you and the grab is unblockable so jumping is a great way to get around it. not too sure where you were going with that. oh well, stuff happens

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
that was for when you mentioned his 11 frame mid and 9 frame low. crouch blocking stops both thanks to this horrible engine or whatever its called they have where mids dont counter ducking and theres no longer a dedicated block button or any decent type of defense system set up for this game. wheres the breakers when you need them?

but that was a situational comment, overall theres no real reason to block low against him just as theres no real reason to block high against Aquaman. the number of Aquaman players that will actually adjust to crouch blocking (from what ive seen) is relatively low. most of them are too busy trying to spam fullscreen anyway.

also, youre part about jumping fixes his grab and not jumping fixes his antiair sounds about right. not jumping wont let his AA touch you and the grab is unblockable so jumping is a great way to get around it. not too sure where you were going with that. oh well, stuff happens
Welp, I hope we meet someday in tourney because you're going to get b12 full combo'd into oblivion lol.

Or a completely safe oki setup all day. I'll let you decide.

Raegn21

Noob
Welp, I hope we meet someday in tourney because you're going to get b12 full combo'd into oblivion lol.

Or a completely safe oki setup all day. I'll let you decide.

sorry, i lack the funds to join a tourney but if youre psn maybe we can meet up or something if you like. fair warning though: im not that good. you might just perfect me or something along those lines lol. also, no idea what this oki business is that everyone seems to mention (not to be the elephant noob in the room or anything) i never was all that good with keeping up on lingos n whatnot

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
sorry, i lack the funds to join a tourney but if youre psn maybe we can meet up or something if you like. fair warning though: im not that good. you might just perfect me or something along those lines lol. also, no idea what this oki business is that everyone seems to mention (not to be the elephant noob in the room or anything) i never was all that good with keeping up on lingos n whatnot
Not to be a dick, but if you don't even know basic fighting game terms, what makes you think your opinion is credible?

I mean everyone has opinions and that's fine, but saying lobos low starter is pointless is absolutely silly to me.

Dulllyanna

So all you have to do is either one option that loses to the other option, or the other option that loses to the first option? Man that's the solution to beating Scorpion too! All you have to do is block his teleport, jump his unblockable, block his unreactable low and block his unreactable instant j1!

Raegn21

Noob
Not to be a dick, but if you don't even know basic fighting game terms, what makes you think your opinion is credible?

I mean everyone has opinions and that's fine, but saying lobos low starter is pointless is absolutely silly to me.

its not that its pointless, i just dont personally see the huge value you guys are placing on it. and its not like keeping up with the game terms makes that big of a difference. sure you guys have to label your techniques and plans and whatnot but its not like everyone will understand when one day its basic stuff and the next theres all of this vortex and oki business that started up in like a day.

so sorry if i wasnt there when it started but chances are a good amount of the community (maybe somewhere around 70%?) has had to ask what it meant somewhere. my time just happens to be now. not that ill take it to heart, its not that serious of a game to me with how flawed it is compared to probably every other fighting game out there (especially after the amazingness that mk9 put out. just such a let down after a game like that imo).

not to mention that it doesnt seem to help anyone ive played online do any better than they normally would. they just get to sound smarter is all from what ive seen. but maybe thats just my experience

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
its not that its pointless, i just dont personally see the huge value you guys are placing on it. and its not like keeping up with the game terms makes that big of a difference. sure you guys have to label your techniques and plans and whatnot but its not like everyone will understand when one day its basic stuff and the next theres all of this vortex and oki business that started up in like a day.
The huge value is that it gives you the option to make your opponent guess whether they have to block low or block high. Depending on how you guess sets up a new situation for both of you depending on what moves you have that hit low or overhead. For instance, with Lobo, he has his air d3. At close range in a neutral situation, I can choose to do air d3, or b1. They have to guess which one I'm going to do. If they block low and I went for air d3, I have just knocked them down to the ground and now I have "oki" options which is what Lobo REALLY excels at. If they block low and I went for b12, now I'm at frame advantage because b12 is + on block. I now have the option to continue pressure.

It's important to know these things and terms... otherwise you have no idea how the game works... and you're just pressing buttons hoping to hit a combo. If you think the terms "vortex" and "oki" were invented the day this game released, you're seriously wrong. Scorpion in MK9 had a vortex, and EVERY character had oki options. If your argument is "I don't care how the game works... I just mash buttons for fun" then so be it. But some people take this game seriously.

so sorry if i wasnt there when it started but chances are a good amount of the community (maybe somewhere around 70%?) has had to ask what it meant somewhere. my time just happens to be now. not that ill take it to heart, its not that serious of a game to me with how flawed it is compared to probably every other fighting game out there (especially after the amazingness that mk9 put out. just such a let down after a game like that imo).
As far as asking questions... there's nothing wrong with that. My response to your original statements was a response to how certain you appeared to be about b1 being pointless. That is absurdly wrong. If you're not sure, then don't make statements to that degree of certainty. But now that you're explaining that you don't know some basic fighting game terms... then I understand you don't know much about the game. And that's fine.

But saying THIS game is flawed as compared to MK9 is another joke. MK9 is my OG fighter too. It's how i learned about fighting games. And I'm actually pretty good at it. So I LOVE that game. But I'm not going to put on my blinders and pretend it's not seriously flawed. It just works differently. All fighting games work differently. And it's hard for me to take your assessment of a fighting game seriously when you don't know much about fighting games.

not to mention that it doesnt seem to help anyone ive played online do any better than they normally would. they just get to sound smarter is all from what ive seen. but maybe thats just my experience
Some people actually want to be good at the game... so they learn how it works, including the terminology. It seriously helps, especially in discussions with other fighting game players.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Raegn21 To be clear, I apologize if I came off like a dick at first. There's a lot of know it alls flooding into TYM acting like they know everything and it seemed like that's what you were doing at first. It's totally ok to not be where others are as far as knowledge of the game goes. We were all there at one point or another. If you want any help at all understanding some of the terminology feel free to message me and I can explain anything you want explained. It pays to study lol.

Raegn21

Noob
Raegn21 To be clear, I apologize if I came off like a dick at first. There's a lot of know it alls flooding into TYM acting like they know everything and it seemed like that's what you were doing at first. It's totally ok to not be where others are as far as knowledge of the game goes. We were all there at one point or another. If you want any help at all understanding some of the terminology feel free to message me and I can explain anything you want explained. It pays to study lol.

its fine, stuff happens. at least youre cool enough to say you arent trying to be. some people (like those loveable know it alls) never admit to it. but i usually ignore them if so

vortex and okis, alright then, so theyve been around longer than expected. i havent been on these forums until injustice so im way behind. its just that learning the terminology (at least from what ive seen) hasnt shown much, if any, real improvements in the people ive played against. im sure its helped out a ton of people to get better, just noone ive seen

i only compared this to mk9 because they were made by the same people. and i know it was flawed, every game is. but the "let down" part was mostly aimed at the weak defense system that injustice has (no block button or breakers, push block just isnt the same) as well as the extreme confusion as to why NRS decided to mess with the fighting system of high, mids, and lows. high misses low, mid hits low. that just how games work. not high misses low, mid chips low, overheads are the new mid. and most characters only get like 3 of those (i think deathstroke is the only one who has more but im not too sure because ive never used him)

maybe one day ill get into frame date and all of the terms but for now, ill just stick to be a casual player

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
The high,mid, low game is still there. Its always been there. NRS just categorized it better than most games. its how the attack does/doesn't hit.
High: Block standing, can be ducked
Mid: Can't be ducked, but can be blocked high or low
Overhead: same as mid, but MUST be blocked high
Low: Must be blocked low

I come from a 3D gaming background as well as 2D, that's probably why it made sense to me when I began playing this game. You're right about the overheads. Each character has at least one universal overhead with f+3. They also have overheads mixed in with attack strings (Lobo has three total). Three comboable overheads per character seems about right. Not even including characters that have overhead specials (I'm looking at you, Bane!)

If/when you ever get into and understand frame data, it'll be a whole new game for you, trust me. Provided the numbers are accurate, you'l have the cofidence in your attacks, develop frame traps and KNOW it'll work. Every time. Ever fight a player who's attacks always seem to beat yours out? More tham likely, he's got frame traps that are constantly being tripped, cuz people love to hit buttons. Frame data helps you combat that. Good luck in your journey, man.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
So this combo is apparently possible now thanks to the D2 buff:

B2,U1-D2-B3-JI3-2,1/Hook Charge - 35%/38%

Has this been possible before?

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
I believe so, but on the bigger characters. With the improved d+2, I bet it would work on more characters now. Nice.

So the Main Man is getting buffs that will supposedly make him a monster. I especailly would like to hear from players that use Lobo more than any other character to this day that and Lobo tournament players -> How does these changes affect him? Will he be a juggernaut as some have stated? Lets get this thread discussing from what we know already:

QUESTION:
What exactly does Hook Charge hits as an overhead mean? (If somebody is jumping towards me I can *spike* him out of the air with the hook charge?) I thought it did this already - no?

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/375748334238986240

changes include:

HOOK CHARGE
- Hits as an overhead
- Improved start up & viability as a wake up attack.
- "Meter burn" version has 2 hits of armor

CHARACTER POWER
- Now loads 2 rounds of Nuclear Shells

PUMP SHOT BLASTS
- Extended reach when Nuclear Shells loaded

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
I'm looking forward to the 3~hook charge/low chain mixup. It's going to piss people off lol
Lobo's pressure just got really nasty. All options are "safe".

21 xx Low Shot Gun: Mid/OH/Low
21 xx Low Shot Gun: Mid/OH/OH
2 xx Low Shot Gun/Low Chain: Mid/Low
21 xx Czar Toss: Mid/OH/Throw (connects of only if 21 is blocked, whiffs on hit)

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
b+1 Just got a lot better too, Chaosphere. b+2, u+1 to Hook Charge as a brain dead bnb. Lesser experienced opponents will fall for some part of Overhead/low/overhead. This is going to be fun. I got one more chamber to put them through.
By chambers, I mean bnbs I do where, if the opponent can't block/beat/get out of, I simply keep doing it until they do. Or die. Either way. For instance, 2,1, to Low Space Hook. I do it until they start blocking it all. Once I see they do, I do 2,1, Czar toss. If they happen to be able to deal with that, then I start mixing it all up: 2, Czar toss/2,1, Low Space. 2,1, Low Pump Shot. Now, I can incorporate Hook Charge in there? Yea, they don't know what they have unleashed...