What's new

Liu matchup chart by MIT

HGTV DrFlash44

Quan Cheese!!!
yep liu is a beast, he don't lose to many, goes even with alot, and beats alot haha. He is the MK champ, ppl fail to realize this usually.
I admit fully. My first tournament match ever was against a Lui Kang and is was way closer than it should've been but I still won. The character can work.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
It is amazing how no one picks him up considering he is really one of the easiest characters to play.

Iaf is pretty easy compared to other instant air projectiles and everything else is really easy execution. His corner combos are tough(like b312 njp ds1 iaf b312) but that is it.

That is what is so cool about him, he is just pure fundamentals. I might start using him again for Baraka's 3-7 matchups.

It is amazing how no one picks him up considering he is really one of the easiest characters to play.

Iaf is pretty easy compared to other instant air projectiles and everything else is really easy execution. His corner combos are tough(like b312 njp ds1 iaf b312) but that is it.

That is what is so cool about him, he is just pure fundamentals. I might start using him again for Baraka's 3-7 matchups.
might as well, u already know how to play him.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I started playing him as an alt. He's awesome and fun to play. With his zoning and long ass ranged normals I think he suits me. Might become my best alt.

Maxter

Noob
top 10 cyrax, smoke, lui, kitana, reptile, skarlet, sektor, sonya, jax, Eddie, kabal, johnny cage, kung lao, ermac, shang tsun, mileena, kabal, kenshi,
amongst this top 10 there is a top 3 that rape most of the cast badly, but overall, on this list all belong to top 10 because of their matchup balances, i know they ar emore than 10 so we have some balance on this game , most of the cast can compete, and out of this list there are some good 5 chars who can compete also.
there are 4 rapist in this list that rape most of the cast 7-3 at least, guess who they are?

top 10 cyrax, smoke, lui, kitana, reptile, skarlet, sektor, sonya, jax, Eddie, kabal, johnny cage, kung lao, ermac, shang tsun, mileena, kabal, kenshi,
amongst this top 10 there is a top 3 that rape most of the cast badly, but overall, on this list all belong to top 10 because of their matchup balances, i know they ar emore than 10 so we have some balance on this game , most of the cast can compete, and out of this list there are some good 5 chars who can compete also.
there are 4 rapist in this list that rape most of the cast 7-3 at least, guess who they are?
kenshi, kabal, sonya, and lao? those my guesses.

Umm I don't understand how the Cyrax MU is in favor of Liu? Can someone explain???
liu outzones him completely and can iafb all nets he throws out, also it is hard for rax to get a trade off. Liu's footsies game will be a problema nd b3,1,2 won't be easy getting around. The only way rax has a chance is when he is right next to him, and even with cyrax leading, liu can chip him out and build meter safely from a distance. I can punish all d1s and beat out rax's d4 with b3,1,2.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Umm I don't understand how the Cyrax MU is in favor of Liu? Can someone explain???
Iaf makes him unable to really pressure with bombs and nets. Any bomb can just be instant air fireballed. Up close Cyrax has to deal with all his mixups. 2 can deal with his crossup shenanigans. Only thing cyrax has going for him is off a knockdown he can bully liu.

Im sure MIT knows a lot more since he faces denzell but those are my guesses as to why it is his favor.

Iaf makes him unable to really pressure with bombs and nets. Any bomb can just be instant air fireballed. Up close Cyrax has to deal with all his mixups. 2 can deal with his crossup shenanigans. Only thing cyrax has going for him is off a knockdown he can bully liu.

Im sure MIT knows a lot more since he faces denzell but those are my guesses as to why it is his favor.
yep those are key points, me and denzell run this mu alot at home and i win most of the time, it is VERY manageable for cyrax though, he has the dumbest dmg and rushdown game haha.

CrazyBread

Princess Diana
yep those are key points, me and denzell run this mu alot at home and i win most of the time, it is VERY manageable for cyrax though, he has the dumbest dmg and rushdown game haha.
Thanks MITDJT I just wanted to be sure. I just instantly thought Liu's wake-ups would lead him into a net then BAM resets. But Lui zones better and has crazy mix-ups with his pressuring and his mid screen BnB. Liu's my second in command but I'm not very familiar with the Cy MU :)

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I always rant in my head about Liu, I honestly don't know why the hell people don't pick him up.

I mean Kitana is probably the closest to him meta-game wise, and they're everywhere. But Liu? Nope. Sure, he doesn't have boobs, but he does have a red-headband, which it just as good if not better.

Anyways, I'm more-or-less a nobody, but for what it's worth, I agree with all of these.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
MITDJT , the one match I'mma really disagree with you on here is Raiden. I mean they both play the footsie game but Liu is just so much better at it. Also Raiden teleport can't punish IAFB, and if he ever teleports randomly, Liu standing 2 is one of the best punishes for it at 8 frames into a big combo.

Also if you try to b312 him and he does a teleport, there's a good chance that he at least has to block a f3 instead, haha.

MITDJT , the one match I'mma really disagree with you on here is Raiden. I mean they both play the footsie game but Liu is just so much better at it. Also Raiden teleport can't punish IAFB, and if he ever teleports randomly, Liu standing 2 is one of the best punishes for it at 8 frames into a big combo.

Also if you try to b312 him and he does a teleport, there's a good chance that he at least has to block a f3 instead, haha.
I might actually change that mu, i feel the same way.

Owerbart

I miss you
haha, MALOC shall explain: iafb can def be used out of push range and used to beat out ermac's normal fb. Up close, liu's safe strings are a problem for ermac and in the footsies game, liu wins heavily, the only thing mac got going for him really is his damage and if he's able to get some pushes/teleports.
I think that with proper mixing Ermac can abuse LK hitbox, and the problem for Liu is that Ermac has no problem getting in push range. Also, I don't know why would Liu trade his ball with Ermac when Low fireball has such a horrible recovery and Mac's ball gets under Instant Fireball from Liu. Of course I won't get much close to you but I think Ermac can zone Liu, which indeed shouldn't be too happy about IAFB because well timed Instant Force Port from Ermac leads to lift and 30% combos.

Also, why do you have Liu winning only 6-4 against Rain and not more?

Thanks in advance.

I think that with proper mixing Ermac can abuse LK hitbox, and the problem for Liu is that Ermac has no problem getting in push range. Also, I don't know why would Liu trade his ball with Ermac when Low fireball has such a horrible recovery and Mac's ball gets under Instant Fireball from Liu. Of course I won't get much close to you but I think Ermac can zone Liu, which indeed shouldn't be too happy about IAFB because well timed Instant Force Port from Ermac leads to lift and 30% combos.

Also, why do you have Liu winning only 6-4 against Rain and not more?

Thanks in advance.
i dnt even need to zone much to beat mac with liu, up close liu outclasses him completely and has way better footsies. Add that to the fact that my iafb is super swift and hard to be rdy for and great for baiting. Mac got a juicy hitbox too and is going to eat every mixup i have. I can also close distance easily with my far range moves like back3,1,2 and f1,2. I have alot of xp in the rain liu mu, and rain can hold his own and liu must respect his armor. Also rain can get some squirt guns off on liu and b2,1+2. I'll play it again when i get a chance and decide if i want to change it.

Owerbart

I miss you
i dnt even need to zone much to beat mac with liu, up close liu outclasses him completely and has way better footsies. Add that to the fact that my iafb is super swift and hard to be rdy for and great for baiting. Mac got a juicy hitbox too and is going to eat every mixup i have. I can also close distance easily with my far range moves like back3,1,2 and f1,2. I have alot of xp in the rain liu mu, and rain can hold his own and liu must respect his armor. Also rain can get some squirt guns off on liu and b2,1+2. I'll play it again when i get a chance and decide if i want to change it.
I don't think you can bait anything with IAFB. I will only throw my own projectile and that will be it. On the other side a smart ermac won't let you get in b3 distance because you I can have you in complete aware of TKP and make my way to you upclose to check you with F4 or throw. I'll admit it was a long time since I played a nice Luis but I don't see this MU in any way as advantegeous to Kang.

Cheers mate.

I don't think you can bait anything with IAFB. I will only throw my own projectile and that will be it. On the other side a smart ermac won't let you get in b3 distance because you I can have you in complete aware of TKP and make my way to you upclose to check you with F4 or throw. I'll admit it was a long time since I played a nice Luis but I don't see this MU in any way as advantegeous to Kang.

Cheers mate.
cheers to you haha, and i'm still keeping it 6 4. I'll play a high lvl mac if ya want me to as well. It is very manageable for mac without a doubt, but mac's force push hurt him alot. He needs that push back to make this mu even imo.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
DJTMIT what changed your mind on the kit mu? I thought u said he beat her?

Also, 5-5 with Sonya? It isn't in her favor?

Nice mu chart BTW. Kang is hella underrated and top 10 for sure

DJTMIT what changed your mind on the kit mu? I thought u said he beat her?

Also, 5-5 with Sonya? It isn't in her favor?

Nice mu chart BTW. Kang is hella underrated and top 10 for sure
i changed it not only after playing some kitanas, but also playing against liu with kitana myself, so that led to me making it 5 5. Sonya is 5-5 for 3 basic reasons:
His footsies
His zoning
Safe strings