What's new

Guide Liu Kang's Complete List of Hit Levels

UPR_Nova

Noob
Above all, thank you Seapeople for providing a great starting point for creating guides such as this and making sure that we all follow some sort of "template", if you will. Unfortunately, Liu Kang has so many character and animation specific attacks that I had to elaborate much more in order to remain somewhat organized and to explain the exceptions. I'm not claiming that the exceptions will change the effective block strings against these said characters, however, I wanted to be thorough and let the exceptions be known, even though they may be minute and mostly useless. The string may never and probably will never make a difference in the matchup. I simply wanted to show the small differences in case you ever wondered, "Why did I get hit by that high when I was neutral crouching?" Hopefully we can get every character forum a similar guide because, in my opinion. these could be very valuable to the community. Feel free to correct and to give further insight where necessary.

On with the show:

Terminology:

Low - Breaks through the opponent's guard when they are blocking high
Overhead - Breaks through the opponent's guard when they are blocking low
Unblockable - Breaks through the opponent's guard whether they are blocking high or low
High - Whiffs against opponents who are crouch blocking or neutral crouching
True Mid - Does not whiff if the opponent is neutral crouching or crouch blocking
Special Mid - Whiffs against opponents who are neutral crouching, but doesn't whiff if they are crouch blocking
Various - Some attacks will change based on the character you are fighting against. This is because every character has a different sized hitbox.
Animation Specific - This is used to define attacks that are drastically changed by the breathing animation of the opponents. This means a Various attack will have "various" properties depending upon the opponent's character and whether or not they are at the highest or lowest point of the breathing animation. In other words, this is reserved for attacks that fit neither of the true mid or special mid properties because of the game animations. In addition, when referencing the breathing animation, I am referring to the movement loop a character goes through when they are duck blocking and neutral crouching. Some moves hit only when the character is at the peak height of the movement loop.

All starred items have been further explained below the string or moveset.

Single Attacks and Strings

1 – High

1,1 – High, True Mid
*1,1,1 – High, True Mid, True Mid

*The 1,1,1 string hits in the above notation for the majority of the cast. As with most of Liu Kang’s hit data, most of it is character/hitbox specific. Below, I have listed the variations of how the 1,1,1 string hits and the characters associated with that certain hit data. Most of the cast is unlisted, meaning that they fall under the default High, True Mid, True Mid hit data.

-- High, True Mid, High
The final hit of the string will whiff on crouch blocking opponents:
Johnny Cage
Mileena

-- High, Animation Specific, Animation Specific
The second and third hits are reliant upon the breathing animation of the opponent:
Kung Lao
Sektor

Some singular characters to mention:

Jax – High, Special Mid, Special Mid
The second and third hits will whiff if he is neutral ducking

Kenshi – Animation Specific, True Mid, True Mid
The first hit will hit in the corner if Kenshi is duck blocking and Liu Kang is within his hitbox

1,1,2 – High, Animation Specific, True Mid
The 1,1,2 string should be treated the exact same as the 1,1,1 string. Obviously, the last hit of the 1,1,1 is of greater height than that of the 1,1,2 string, therefore, I am treating the 2 as a guaranteed True Mid. In addition, at maximum 1,1,2 distance, the 2 itself is a True Mid and should be treated this way when considering the full string.

1,2 – High, High
*1,2,B1 – High, High, High

*The last two hits of the 1,(2,B1) string act as a mid-hitting attack under certain circumstances. Below, I have listed the character that the last two hits actually effect. If the attack hits, I have placed that section of the string in parentheses. For example, if both of the attacks hit it will be notated as 1,(2,B1). If only the 2 hits it will be notated as 1,(2),B1, etc. Keep in mind that these are only OCCASIONAL hits. I have explicitly stated in this guide if the attack hits 100% of the time.

Freddy Krueger – 1,2,(B1)
1 – High
1,2 – High, High
1,2,B1 – High, High, Animation Specific
If Freddy is cornered and duck blocking, the B1 has the chance of missing
If Freddy is neutral ducking midscreen or in the corner, the string will whiff
***Freddy is hit by the above notation 100% of the time when he is duck blocking midscreen***

Kabal – 1,2,(B1)
1 – High
1,2 – High, Animation Specific
1,2,B1 – High, Animation Specific, Animation Specific
If Kabal is duck blocking, the string will whiff
***The string will only hit Kabal AT THE PEAK OF HIS BREATHING ANIMATION***

Kenshi – 1,(2,B1)
1 – Animation Specific
1,2 – Animation Specific, True Mid
1,2,B1 – Animation Specific, True Mid, True Mid
If Kenshi is cornered and duck blocking, the entire string has the capability of hitting
***Kenshi is hit by the above notation 100% of the time midscreen and in the corner***

Rain – 1,2,(B1)
1 – High
If Rain is neutral ducking, the 2 has a chance to hit
If Rain is duck blocking, the string will whiff
***Rain is hit by the above notation 100% of the time when he is neutral ducking***

Shang Tsung – 1,2,(B1)
1 – High
If Shang Tsung is duck blocking, the string will whiff
***The string will only hit Shang Tsung AT THE PEAK OF HIS BREATHING ANIMATION***

Sheeva – 1,(2,B1)
1 – High
1,2 – High, Various Animation Specific
1,2,B1 – High, Various Animation Specific, Various Animation Specific
If Sheeva is duck blocking, the string will whiff
***The string will only hit Sheeva AT THE PEAK OF HER BREATHING ANIMATION***

F1 – True Mid

F1, 2 – True Mid, True Mid
*F1, 2, 1 – True Mid, True Mid, Various
*I decided to call the entire string in this manner because the overall majority of the cast treats the string as a True Mid, True Mid, True Mid string. The variations usually come in at the last hit and are completely random as far as the traditional knowledge of the Mortal Kombat hitbox is concerned. So, here are the explanations for the “weird” characters. Kung Lao and Jax can neutral duck the first two hits of the string IF AND ONLY IF THEY ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THEIR BREATHING ANIMATION. It would be risky for Lao or Jax to neutral duck a F1,2,1, but it is possible. They are also able to neutral duck the first two hits of the string 99% of the time in the corner. Liu Kang has to attempt the string the very frame that they are at the peak of their breathing animation or the string will whiff. The last hit of the F1,2,1 string will whiff Cyrax, Freddy and Smoke when they are stand blocking midscreen, but will hit them everywhere else and in every other circumstance. I assume this is a small glitch or bug in the game that wasn’t meant to be there but no fixing it now. Just don’t use F1,2,1 if they are stand blocking midscreen. Only use it to check the opponent that is trying to duck block and poke after the completion of a F1,2. In another weird circumstance, the last hit of F1,2,1 will whiff Quan Chi EVERY TIME unless he is duck blocking in the corner. This makes the last hit of the string useless as a check for pokes. Additionally, the first two hits of the F1,2,1 string will whiff when Sektor is duck blocking in the corner. The risk of abusing this string against Sektor is fairly high anyway because of his 6 frame full combo starter. I wouldn’t recommend using this in the corner against this character in the first place. Finally, I hate to help out Sonya players but the last hit of the F1,2,1 string will whiff when she is duck blocking. With that safe EX Cartwheel, she has another free chance to interrupt Liu Kang’s pressure pretty easily. I wouldn’t recommend using this string on her either.

B1 – True Mid

2 – High

2,1 – High, True Mid
*2,1,3 – High, True Mid, Overhead

*As with the 1,1,1 string, I have labeled the 2,1,3 string to accommodate the majority of the cast. All of the variations have been listed and explained below with the characters grouped accordingly. If a character is unlisted, they will fit into the above notation.

-- Special Mid, True Mid, Overhead
The first hit of the string will connect if the character is duck blocking but not neutral crouching:
Baraka
Cyber Sub-Zero
Freddy Krueger
Jade
Kenshi
Noob Saibot
Raiden
Rain
Shang Tsung
Stryker

-- Animation Specific, True Mid, Overhead
The first hit of the string will connect if the opponent is at the peak of the ducking animation loop:
Cyrax
Liu Kang
Scorpion
Sindel

Some singular characters to mention:

Jax
Midscreen – High, True Mid, Overhead
Corner – High, Special Mid, Overhead

Kung Lao – High, Animation Specific, Overhead

Sektor
Midscreen – High, True Mid, Overhead
Corner – High, High, Overhead

F2 – True Mid
F2, 4 – True Mid, True Mid

B2 – True Mid

B2, B3 – True Mid, Low
B2, 3 – True Mid, True Mid

3 – True Mid

3,3 – True Mid, True Mid
3,3,4 – True Mid, True Mid, True Mid

F3 – Overhead

B3 – Low

B3,1 – Low, True Mid
B3,1,2 – Low, True Mid, True Mid

4 – True Mid

F4 – Low
F4, 3 – Low, True Mid

D1 – True Mid
D2 (Uppercut) – High
D3 – Low
D4 – Low
B4 – Low
Throw – Unblockable Special Mid

Dragon Stance

1 – High
2 – True Mid
3 – Overhead
4 – Low

Specials

High Fireball – High
High Dragon Fire – High
Low Fireball – Low
Low Dragon Fire - Low
IAFB (Instant Air Fireball) – High
IADF (Instant Air Dragon Fire) - High
Flying Dragon Kick – High
Flame Dragon Kick – High
Bicycle Kick – High
Bicycle Steps – High
Parry – N/A
Burning Parry – N/A

Chin Up (X-Ray) – Special Overhead (I had to create another new term)

*Will whiff all crouch BLOCKING opponents except Baraka from point blank distance but will hit neutral ducking opponents in specific situations:
Baraka – Duck blocking midscreen
Cyber Sub-Zero – Any position except stand blocking
-The attack will randomly whiff on a ducking or duck blocking Cyber Sub-Zero. I assume this is because the attack is attempting connect when the character is at the lowest point in the ducking animation loop.
Cyrax – Neutral ducking in corner
Freddy Krueger – Neutral ducking in corner and duck blocking midscreen
Jade – Neutral ducking in corner
Kabal – Neutral ducking in corner and midscreen
-The X-Ray will randomly whiff in the corner and midscreen. I assume this is because Kabal is at the lowest point in his ducking animation loop.
Kano – Neutral ducking in corner
Kenshi – Any position except stand blocking
Nightwolf – Neutral ducking in corner
Noob Saibot – Neutral ducking in corner
Raiden – Neutral ducking in corner and midscreen
Rain – Neutral ducking in corner
Sektor – Neutral ducking in corner
Shang Tsung – Neutral ducking midscreen
-If Shang Tsung is duck blocking midscreen and the X-Ray is timed to the top of his breathing animation, it will connect.
Sheeva – Any position except stand blocking
-The attack will whiff Sheeva if she is duck blocking in the corner and if she is at the lowest point in her crouching animation loop while neutral crouching in the corner.
Smoke – Neutral ducking midscreen
Sonya – Duck blocking or neutral ducking in corner
Quan Chi – Neutral ducking in corner
The unlisted characters cannot be hit with the Chin Up whether neutral ducking or duck blocking

*Will connect from maximum Chin Up range
*Will not hit high blocking opponents