What's new

Question - Liu Kang Liu Kang's Bad Matchups?

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
Warlock and Hellfire do not beat Flame Fist IMO.
I think that Hellfire wins FF because of the teleport, the unblockable stuff, and amazing pressure, so it's hard to FF's do zoning and in a short range, Hellfire is amazing. I think that Warlock beats FF because Warlock's F3 can stop FF's zoning, and Warlock has a good reversal to catch FF's gaps. :p

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I think that Hellfire wins FF because of the teleport, the unblockable stuff, and amazing pressure, so it's hard to FF's do zoning and in a short range, Hellfire is amazing. I think that Warlock beats FF because Warlock's F3 can stop FF's zoning, and Warlock has a good reversal to catch FF's gaps. :p
The problem with trying to teleport Flame Fist's fireballs is that while Shaolin Flame is active, it's very difficult to adequately distinguish fireballs and jab feints with proper use, since they both look the same on the startup. And the EX WP is a better reversal to deal with Hellfire's false blockstrings, compared to EX Takedown against Flame Fist's false blockstrings.

On the flipside, an EX WP between Scorpion's 214 can be baited with a teleport cancel, but I'd rather not do this due to how long it drains Scorpion's stamina for and how limited Hellfire's utility is without it.

Warlock's F3 is good for counterzoning Flame Fist I agree, but if I read that a Liu Kang is gonna come in to avoid it and check with a skull/rune instead, there's likely to be some trades, and Warlock's zoning simply doesn't accumulate as much damage.

Also while Warlock definitely gets far superior armor to Quan's other variations and is good for Flame Fist's options after meterless WP, there are still situations where it can be stuffed. Not to say I never use it, it's just something Warlock has to be weary of.

Last edited:

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
The problem with trying to teleport Flame Fist's fireballs is that while Shaolin Flame is active, it's very difficult to adequately distinguish fireballs and jab feints with proper use, since they both look the same on the startup. And the EX WP is a better reversal to deal with Hellfire's false blockstrings, compared to EX Takedown against Flame Fist's false blockstrings.

On the flipside, an EX WP between Scorpion's 214 can be baited with a teleport cancel, but I'd rather not do this due to how heavily Hellfire's utility is weighed by stamina availability.

Warlock's F3 is good for counterzoning Flame Fist I agree, but if I read that a Liu Kang is gonna come in to avoid it and check with a skull/rune instead, there's likely to be some trades, and Warlock's zoning simply doesn't accumulate as much damage.

Also while Warlock definitely gets far superior armor to Quan's other variations and is good for Flame Fist's options after meterless WP, there are still situations where it can be stuffed. Not to say I never use it, it's just something Warlock has to be vary of.
Well argued ;). You've changed my opinion about those 2 MUs :rolleyes: