What's new

Question - Liu Kang Liu Kang's Bad Matchups?

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
I know the matchup is fairly even but Cyber Kano's godlike footsies and weird ball interactions make me kinda crazy in this matchup. I don't play the pressure game nearly as well as the character deserves, though.

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
When I play Liu Kang, my biggest problems start when I play vs Tanya, Shinnok, Cassie Cage and Sonya Blade. The last two mostly because of 50/50 and I'm no wizard to predict when I need to block high or low.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
When I play Liu Kang, my biggest problems start when I play vs Tanya, Shinnok, Cassie Cage and Sonya Blade. The last two mostly because of 50/50 and I'm no wizard to predict when I need to block high or low.
Dealing with a character with 50/50s doesn't describe a bad match up tho, liu kang actually kinda wrecks sonya the only issue is he has to be smart with his pressure of he goes into mixup town ___shrug

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Shinnok, Jax, and Kung Lao. At worst 4-6, and he also beats Jax if you decide to pick Flame Fist instead of Dragon's Fire. He goes even with or beats everyone else IMO.

st9rm

viennality.com
def not takeda :p

but i would probably say sub zero GM and cassie, shinnok maybe as well?

Which Kano and why? I understand the pressure gale of Jax and Tanya but not sure I see Jax as a huge threat yet.

Also is Lao not on your list?
Basically kano wins the most important meta that kang excels at which is space control. Anything liu does that isn't full screen, kano can punish for free.

Liu wants to always be in kano's face imo and play a more safer game. Referring to cybernetic.

Lao imo is 5-5

Across the cast I feel confident with Dragon Fire thus far. There are few times where he is at a severe disadvantage at all parts of the screen. His greatest weakness as DF is the lack of threat from armor. His other tools though greatly make up for it.

I got destroyed by @Dragon_FGC 's Kobu Tanya. I am sure it was more me than Liu Kang, but can anyone give me advice on how to deal with her up close game? I have a good understanding of keep away and offense right now against her, but i was losing out on exchanges up close quite a bit.

I wonder if there is a solid way as Dragon Fire to deter her from her pressure game. If there is no solid answer, that is fine since I have ideas of alts I can pick up to cover the match up anyways.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Does Liu beat Johnny Cage? I haven't played the matchup, but I feel like he would because Johnny has slow normals and pokes.
Yeah he does. Not unwinnable but it is quite difficult for Cage if the Liu has a good neutral.

And to answer the op, I feel Lao is somewhere between a 5-5 and a 6-4 and Tanya definitely feels like a 6-4. Not having a relatively fast armoured launcher or fast pokes makes her pressure really difficult to deal with.

Green Lantern Rz

There WILL be light!
I find Liu Kang vs Sub-Zero to be about even. Sub-Zero has a hard time getting in when Liu Kang is zoning the crap outta him(especially on flame fist) and Liu Kang will have a hard time in the corner cus of the ice klone of course.

Parasurama

Dragon
Full screen is fine, but a SZ who uses the ex Iceball is very dangerous at that range. The most frustrating thing with SZ and some other characters is the safety of the jump ins (especially the jump in kick) and GM especially is the 50/50 corner game, his d4 is very good as well. It does not feel as bad I remember it to be but I think there are still some issues for LK.