What's new

Liu Kang Video Critic Thread (Matches)

AssassiN

Noob
astronout

Good zoning, good footsies and very good pressure.
You could have won that one round where you did an X-ray at the end by doing an unbreakable combo with IAFB's.

You baited out a wake-up by doing dragonstance and canceling, sadly Liu Kang cannot punish something like Kabal's dash then. He can't block or counter it as far as I know while in that stance. Maybe DS+1 works but that would need some testing, I know throw would work but that needs some good timing and parry is also an option.

It seems like you know the MU extremely well, all I can say is you need to jump more over those sawblades. I think it might be possible to do IAFB over them.

Nice Liu Kang, keep it up.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
You can see plenty of my Liu Kang here, play testing the stream for Tekken Arena, and just having some fun mindless casuals with Khaotic_xShangx

A lot of it is me just trying different things with Liu. Khaotic was just learning the matchup with a few of his secondary characters.

At about 14:00 minutes in you can see some of my mixup shenanigans with F+4. Dirty mixup imho.

17:00 is my IAFB execution practice :p I was really abusing the fact that he wasn't doing any enh dashes to punish. Whatever, lol.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
GamerBlake90 - Pretty good as far as I can tell. Just work on your iafb, guy was able to walk in at one point haha. Use some more of his pressure tools as well, I can't sress enough how f4 has helped me so much. Since f3 is 20 frames, and b3 is 10 frames, people might block high after a second ot so, f4 will catch them. Even if they do block it, it's neutral on block, and provides random frame advantage if they try jump out. It'll also throw people off, since so many common Liu players only use b312. Use f121 more often as well, especially in the Cage MU, since he can f33 Nutpunch punish Liu's EX Lowfireball at that range. Using b1 in footsies is very useful when you have the life lead, it has a littlt bit of push back and you can link it onti specials. b1 Lowfieball will send them pretty much full screen, if you're feeling risky you can do b1 into Bicycle Kicks for damage, and about 3/4 of the screen away. Ending your combos with f121 can make certain characters life hell, since it throws them at full screen again. You have the right idea with the throws though, if you didn't know already, it throws them full screen too.

Solo - gtfo mine

jkd626619mma

C88 Kajukenbo
GamerBlake90 yo da mixups is nice just keep in mind that you'll get blown up for using ds 3 in the corner; its unsafe plus full unnecessary; when in the corner after the b312 combo use ds cancel to f3 then back to standard pressure into combo punish from the opponent not blocking low. Also use 213 to keep them guessing, and if your b312 is blocked advanced players will jump outta it so intead of poking right after it hit with standing 1 or 2 to check the jump if standing 1 or 2 is blocked it gives you free pressure bcuz the opponent now has to guess either low or high in which any wrong guess will be punishable by full combo punis (b312 or 213 or 21 ex low fireball) also play me in mirror when i get back, i got some clever tricks i want to show you that will always keep them guessing

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
GamerBlake90
Its really hard to critic your game especially since most of it is based online... Reaction time is key success in being really good with this character. Anti Air with standing 2 is probably what I have not seen in this fight. Nor I have seen any finished bnb's such as bicycle kick enders on combos. Though your fundamentals are good, mixing it up inside would be really good, hit confirms and finishing your combos are also key things... instead of hitting the opponent then grabbing it, in which you lost full combo potential. Using B+2, B+3 is also a great tool in mix ups games as well with f+4, resetting everything with standing 2. Reason why is that it beats most standing attacks besides lao, and other 7 frame standing moves...you can pretty much mix them all day and bait out the d+1 or d+3 and capitalize on full combo punishes...Work on those IAF and you will be solid man. Good luck!

XBlades

astronout
Hey man you should only be doing IAF in this match only a few low fireballs to check his Gas blast but over all... it should be liu that takes over the rhythm of the fireballs.. As for the pressure... only way out of the standing 2, dash cancel, 2 dash cancels... is waiting till he does 2 of those reps... because he builds space in between so you can d+3 or you can just mash ex bicycle kick since you only need 1 frame of reversal to en armor... also baiting dashes on jump ins are really good..use the fireball as a parachute to make the opponent dash under you.

GamerBlake90
Its really hard to critic your game especially since most of it is based online... Reaction time is key success in being really good with this character. Anti Air with standing 2 is probably what I have not seen in this fight. Nor I have seen any finished bnb's such as bicycle kick enders on combos. Though your fundamentals are good, mixing it up inside would be really good, hit confirms and finishing your combos are also key things... instead of hitting the opponent then grabbing it, in which you lost full combo potential. Using B+2, B+3 is also a great tool in mix ups games as well with f+4, resetting everything with standing 2. Reason why is that it beats most standing attacks besides lao, and other 7 frame standing moves...you can pretty much mix them all day and bait out the d+1 or d+3 and capitalize on full combo punishes...Work on those IAF and you will be solid man. Good luck!
Might want to explain this one again. b2 abd b3's beat standing normals? Resetting with standing 2? Watcha mean

jkd626619mma

C88 Kajukenbo
Might want to explain this one again. b2 abd b3's beat standing normals? Resetting with standing 2? Watcha mean
its like back 2(triangle or y) back3(x or a) beats normal attacks, such as cages b3, f3 and others sig moves, when you hit a standing 2 you would reset the mixup meaning that the opponent now has to re-guess into high or low blocking, the wrong guess leading into more pressure or full combo punish

its like back 2(triangle or y) back3(x or a) beats normal attacks, such as cages b3, f3 and others sig moves, when you hit a standing 2 you would reset the mixup meaning that the opponent now has to re-guess into high or low blocking, the wrong guess leading into more pressure or full combo punish
So what you mean by resetting with a 2 is simply doing it on block and end up neutral? and you're saying b2 and b3 both beat b3/f3 from Cage when both characters are neutral?

So how they beat other normals? the f3 is faster

XBlades

What I am talking about is mix ups to give constant pressure such as b+2,b+3 gives you a neutral state at 0, so you can do standing 2 (which is 8 frames) and beat the opponents standing attack, or if he trys to jump out... you see what I am saying? its kinda like a hit check, where if he were to attack you with a 9+ frame move you will beat the opponents attack...(1st player beats same frame moves). If the opponent, were to block you can mix up the situation such as examples like : standing 2 (check) ~ f+4 or b+31/2 or etc...these are simple rush down mix ups... In no way they are guaranteed 100% to succeed every time, but it sure is really good if the opponent loves to press buttons and the opponents characters lacks armor and has a big hit box..
Btw if you have your opponent getting used to counter poking you with d+1 or d+3, you can capitalize these moves especially if you are fishing for them. Since many players in my experience like to d+1 ~ follow up attack or d+1 again, or d+3 you can easily find these patterns and avoid these counters so that the opponent does not start his/her pressure.
What really matters in this game with Liu, is counter attacking and keeping the life lead of the game. It is a must to keep ahead of your opponent in every situation that you can. Adapting to your opponents strategy is going to be very hard, since Liu can play defensively and offensively we are lucky that we can transition to 2 different playstyles.... it all depends on you on how well you can transition on the fly of the match.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Hey guys heres a video of me and @xJohnny2dx (Johnny2Drunk :)) This was my first time playing since Halo 4 came out so be easy lol.

GGs. Thanks for posing these. I need to see more of my own matches so I can get better... I HAVE SO MANY BAD HABITS!!! ...including drinking lol. We'll have to do this again so you can put my sober combos on tape, I dial back my difficulty in skarlet combos after a few beers, each beer takes out a few % of damage lol.

I honestly think you are playing the matchup better, I am just cheap as hell burning meter like hotcakes and way too many jip. Skarlet gets so much after a blocked or hit jump in punch so I've trained my self to use it, i've got to break that nasty habit. I think you are on your way though.

GGs. Thanks for posing these. I need to see more of my own matches so I can get better... I HAVE SO MANY BAD HABITS!!! ...including drinking lol. We'll have to do this again so you can put my sober combos on tape, I dial back my difficulty in skarlet combos after a few beers, each beer takes out a few % of damage lol.

I honestly think you are playing the matchup better, I am just cheap as hell burning meter like hotcakes and way too many jip. Skarlet gets so much after a blocked or hit jump in punch so I've trained my self to use it, i've got to break that nasty habit. I think you are on your way though.
lol well whenever I'm on, you always know I'm up for some games man! But oh man that set we had was so much fun after I stopped recording lol. I need to find some more time to play during the week and I could definitely improve on a lot of things.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
lol well whenever I'm on, you always know I'm up for some games man! But oh man that set we had was so much fun after I stopped recording lol. I need to find some more time to play during the week and I could definitely improve on a lot of things.
Yeah, I try to carve out a night on the weekend to play which also overlaps with my relaxing/ self medicating time lol.

XBlades

Killin Natzees
Hey man saw you needed some feedback, well it looks like your liu is doing very well. You have some faults like all of us players, but with a little guidance I am sure it will help you. Alright so first on your video vs Drunk.. I noticed it was scarlet, This is a tricky match since you have to be on point fighting this character and paying close attention to her moveset as well as the opponents patterns.. Of course offline is way easier to read the overheads and the slides can always be blocked. With skarlets wake up game,most of the skarlets in my experience like to wake up enhance armor. The best solution i came up with this one, is treat it like sonya's enhance cartwheel. You can either jump straight up or jump back for a deep kick ~ BnB; secondly your doing well with those IAF, especially if there on point it will give skarlet a hard time to kunai since, it is in your favor if she only decides to throw 1 instead of 2. The other is her dash mix up game, from my experience she is kinda hard to read at first... but once you get use to seeing her animation its all about blocking the right mix ups.. for example the long string where she throws the kunai you can capitalize by evading kunais and using 213 to catch her in the middle of her mix ups.. here is the tricky part.. if she decides to armor dash into overhead and you decided to 213... you can buffer 21 or 2 for that matter to parry.. and it will catch her.. pretty neat right? So there are some good tips on dealing with the shenanigans. Also keeping her far away with zoning is really good to start the match. you can rush her down as well, because her strings are slow and the only means to start her pressure is through pokes and jump ins.. I am sure avoiding these will be easy since liu can punish d+1 and avoid jump ins by dashing under ~d+1 or standing 2.

XBlades

I would strongly like to get feedback from every kenshi player and Kang player on this match.. What did I do wrong, was my perspective on this match wrong...would like as much criticism as you can give. will not get salty..
Pig vs XBlades
CD jr vs XBlades

LEGEND

YES!
Your zoning back in these matches seemed random and poorly executed, and in the Kenshi MU you Made Pig respect the AFB fake out but never jumped in with out it. And of course the good ol random Dragon kicks lol

i don't see any issues here that you haven't already fixed though

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
The only thing really is just the instant airs. I'd replace every standing fb you did with an instant air one. And what Lethal Legend said.