What's new

Liu Kang: Old vs. New with History Behind the Warrior

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian

If there's one thing to know about the new Mortal Kombat games, it's that they have nothing to do with the old ones. While we see some familiar faces, the story-lines have split off into distinctly different paths ever since Raiden sent that message to himself on the verge of Shao Kahn's conquest in MK9. If you weren't quite sure on what has changed between the two timelines, then History Behind the Warrior has got you covered!

In this handy dandy video, History Behind the Warrior walks us through the major differences between what is now MKX Liu Kang, angry spirit warrior, and OG Liu Kang, good guy turned zombie. I for one found it neat to look at the similarities between these two Liu Kangs, with the turning point seemingly being how the character handled death. Check it out yourself, you might learn a thing or two. Or not, but this was a cool retrospective anyway!

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Actually the new games do have a connection to the older ones. All of the messages that Raiden got in MK9 from the other Raiden were based on events that occur in the original timeline. So the timelines are connected with each other, it's just that Raiden in the new timeline changed the events, and all of the games, from MK:SF (which was prequel to MK1 along with MK:MSZ) up until MKA, and MK9 and MKX, are all in the same canon. They only changed the ending of MKA to Shao Kahn beating Blaze in order to match it with the direction of MK9's story, but it's all in the same canon still.

Regardless, good and informative video. I think it should also be noted that in between timelines, some events and things can be changed on their own, without any intervention from another timeline, which might explain why Liu Kang, as well as some other chars, have different personalities in each timeline.

Last edited: