What's new

Question Liu kang matchups I have issue with

Impose

A Call For Blood
I spent literally 8 hours today playing MK online.

Nearly all of it with kang.

Did pretty well. Won I'd say probably 60% of my matches, I can tell I'm improving

However there are some matchups I just cannot figure out for the life of me.

The main problem I have is with Kabal. I only played one good one the entire night but I nearly got double flawlessed. His name was like The Blank Macro or The something Macro. 9k wins 2k losses.
I had no idea how to do anything between the IAGB and saws.

The second matchup I have the most issue with for some reason is sub-zero. I dunno why but I can never seem to pressure him and I always get tagged. If I high fireball a slide hits me, if I low fireball I can't even trade at max screen due to the insane recovery time.

Mileena. I played two really good mileenas tonight. I can't figure out how to stick to them and her d4 is just infuriating.

Any tips on these matchups?

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
Well I'll help ya Anyhoo. Zoning sub helps alot. Fireballs are your friend. Don't get Predictable with your pattern (lfb, hfb, iafb). Ice ball usually trades with low fb. You can block hfb and I think you can recover enough from an IAFB to block. Sub can slide under hfb though be careful. This is all well and good but you will back yourself into the corner eventually so watch out. Never ever jump on sub. If you jump, cancel with a fireball to see what he does

AssassiN

Noob
Sub-Zero
The best kind of zoning you can do is IAFB's.
You'll win the trade with iceball and you'll land on the ground in time to block his slide if you're zoning between half-screen and full-screen away.
Just don't get too confident in your zoning, slide will get you too many times then. If you can anticipate slide and block it, that's huge for you. Because that means that you'll probably get the life-lead and send him full-screen again(via ending your combo with F121) and get back to zoning.
If you don't have the life-lead and get a chance to combo him, end it with sweep. It will keep him close and you can do B1+low fireball to counter his clone wake-up attack, just be careful that he doesn't do slide. If you want to counter both, you can do an immediate bicycle kick(it will go over the slide and make the clone not come out + punish).
SZ will want to keep you in the corner, so you'll need to take any chance you can get to get out and he'll do any chance he has to put you back in.
LK's sweep goes straight through the clone and if it hits him, LK can escape for free with a flying kick.
If you're stuck in the corner, IFB's in case he tries to jump or backwards jump kicks to stop any attempt of D4 or 22.

Kabal
You can outzone Kabal if you read his inputs:
IAGB's are countered with low fireball
Grounded Gas Blasts are countered with standing fireball/IAFB
Saw is countered by IAFB or flying kick if you're feeling heroic(flying kick goes over the saw)
So pretty much switching between low fireball and IAFB's when full screen away.
LK has a big hitbox so up-close Kabal has the pressure advantage, you'll have to play footsies or the zoning game against Kabal.
Midscreen you can bait EX Dashes by doing one IAFB convincing Kabal you'll start zoning, just make sure you block it :p.

Mileena
Again, outzoning is a possibility if you don't get confident in you're zoning.
Roll or Telekick will get you if you do too much zoning, you can bait it out and punish by blocking or parry(I prefer parry because EX Telekick cannot really be punished by LK)
U4 can be AA'ed by 2
Her D4 has to be baited, whiffed and punished.
How? Using his dragon stance(don't forget that she can do rolls)
Learn the spacing and you'll see that dragon stance makes D4's whiff, you can forward-dash cancel out of DS and B312 to punish
That or jumpkicking her D4's, the risk is the same but the reward is bigger with staying grounded.

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
SubZero: I really am not that much of a high level kang or anything but i say bait those slides and make sub burn meter to break. If you get cornered, immediately do a high or low fireball after his 212/214 ice clone string. If you are jailed by a clone in the corner, then if you see him jump in, either njp him to a dragon stance bnb OR if you are willing to burn meter, do an enhanced bike kick but ONLY if he jumps in. Other wise, you can also time your enhanced bike kick when the clone is about to get out of the way and you see him closing in for yet another 212/214 clone string... That's all I can say. Don't forget that if YOU by any chance corner sub, he's in pretty much the same trouble as you were... Just baiting the only offensive wake up move (slide) is pretty much all you need...

Mileena: Kang's back 1 beats mileena's d4. Connect b1 to low fireball for a 12% (uppercut) damage and you have sth going on. Blocking her teleport leads you to 28-29% bnb I think (down1, f12, b312, f42 bike kick). Just be careful HOW you block her enhanced teleport (especially if mileena cancels into air sais). I think If you block it while ducking, you have a much smaller hitbox window to punish her before she puts her feet on the ground. Off course, an uppercut is also nice! :p Also, try cross-up deep kicks into b312.

AssassiN

Noob
i don't think its a good idea for kang to zone against mil. the best way is to rush her down.
That's why I call it controlled zoning.
Only throw out a fireball once in a while, it's actually to move closer and play the up-close game.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
That's why I call it controlled zoning.
Only throw out a fireball once in a while, it's actually to move closer and play the up-close game.
This. not only in this matchup but all over the place, people in this community only see projectiles as moves to create more space (not including reptile and skarlet player I guess) but they actuallyreally help you get in a lot.