What's new

General/Other - Dualist Liu Kang Dualist (light stance) healing needs to be dealt with!

What should be done with the healing given from DB+3 in the light stance? - Results (1 votes)

• Total voters

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
For those that don't know, Liu kang can enter two different stances in his Dualist variant. These stances give him some different specials which can switch up his play style. In his Dark variant pressing and holding db+3 will stack a damage buff up to three times. Now this is awesome and can give him super powered combos at the risk of getting punished will building the buff up. Rare to pull of in a match but very fun. Now in his light stance pressing and holding db+3 heals him... very slowly. It heals him at a rate of .05% which can be canceled out of but not into an X-ray or specials or anything that could have given him a real advantage. It's also easy to punish making it like healing in most fighting games: extremely gimmicky.

This unfortunately means most Dualist mains will spend 90% of the time in dark because the light stance is lacking. I feel both stances should have more of a use to really give that balance between light and dark. I hoped this gets changed, I really do.

What could have and maybe still can make light stance viable (in order of most dramatic change):

1. It can be special canceled to create a new kind of pressure game forcing your opponent to act or you will heal but also fearing you special move. (could be a bit good)

2. The more you heal the more damage you light ball attacks do. This would be fucking amazing and make light variant very fun. Maybe half of what you heal is added to the next light ball but if you EX light ball all of your healing is added as damage. This could were off if you switched variant maybe?

3. You also build meter at a slow rate. This would be okay.

4. You heal faster (.075% maybe?) or the more you heal the faster you heal or maybe the lower on health you are the faster you can heal. Buff heal basically and this would be understandable but still leave a bit to desire.

5. Faster recover and startup :(

What do you guys think?

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Both sides still need work but the healing stance most definitely needs to have the ante upped in most areas.

I would even go so far as to say have some of his moves grant small healing bonuses, like Mileena's ravenous variation or Shang Tsungs throw from mk9.

Its not just the healing, the "fireballs" have shit recovery and startup the mb fireball has such a pushback its really hard to make use of ur plus frames. AT LEAST he can dash cancel out of it but not able to threat the opponent with a armor special or xray is just bad design.

Last edited:

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
It needs to be nerfed!!! :p

But in all seriousness its terrible i think it should also restore a little super meter too

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
Have the ability to cancel out of it faster, or stance switch during it. What about if you complete the heal the next solar flare moves faster.

Zabru

Thanks for the replys all! I feel like his dualist variation is very fun but unfortunately gimmicky. I can handle gimmicks that work out sometimes like his dark stance buff but I hate gimmicks that are just there to be ignored or used for trolling or losing (lol) like his heal is right now. I don't think it will ever receive much of a buff but I would be very grateful for any positive change to the light stance.

Have the ability to cancel out of it faster, or stance switch during it. What about if you complete the heal the next solar flare moves faster.
Anything would be kinda nice and I'm sure NRS could figure something out if they tried. Also you may have the best profile pic on TYM :D

SixPathsOfHate

Thanks for the replys all! I feel like his dualist variation is very fun but unfortunately gimmicky. I can handle gimmicks that work out sometimes like his dark stance buff but I hate gimmicks that are just there to be ignored or used for trolling or losing (lol) like his heal is right now. I don't think it will ever receive much of a buff but I would be very grateful for any positive change to the light stance.

Anything would be kinda nice and I'm sure NRS could figure something out if they tried. Also you may have the best profile pic on TYM :D
I just hope they dont go overboard if they decide to buff it, and thx. :cool:

Zabru

Yeah I hope they don't get too crazy but I just want this variation to work as intended. Was not the selling point of this variation to switch between the powers of light and dark? Why would I do that when dark is a better stance? I feel like they should somehow play into one another so you want to stay in a stance for a while then you want to switch and stay in that stance for a while. Something like that would have been nice but I doubt they are gonna rework it like that so I just want healing to be buffed or adjusted/changed.

SixPathsOfHate

Liu never interested me until I saw dualist, at that point I was sold...kinda like how master of storms raiden looks but I just liked the theme of light and dark. Actually a neat thing I found is on dark stance I would chuck a dark sphere and switch to light stance, stop it and heal. (if my opponent didnt have a fast projectile or tp..via sonya)

Last edited:
For those that don't know, Liu kang can enter two different stances in his Dualist variant. These stances give him some different specials which can switch up his play style. In his Dark variant pressing and holding db+3 will stack a damage buff up to three times. Now this is awesome and can give him super powered combos at the risk of getting punished will building the buff up. Rare to pull of in a match but very fun. Now in his light stance pressing and holding db+3 heals him... very slowly. It heals him at a rate of .05% which can be canceled out of but not into an X-ray or specials or anything that could have given him a real advantage. It's also easy to punish making it like healing in most fighting games: extremely gimmicky.

This unfortunately means most Dualist mains will spend 90% of the time in dark because the light stance is lacking.
Mm-hmm.
I feel both stances should have more of a use to really give that balance between light and dark. I hoped this gets changed, I really do.
It makes me sad to think about how cool the concept of Dualist is, in contrast to the execution.
What could have and maybe still can make light stance viable (in order of most dramatic change):
1. It can be special canceled to create a new kind of pressure game forcing your opponent to act or you will heal but also fearing you special move. (could be a bit good)
Would his options from a canceled Yin be anything great, though?
2. - The more you heal the more damage you light ball attacks do. This would be fucking amazing and make light variant very fun.

- Maybe half of what you heal is added to the next light ball but if you EX light ball all of your healing is added as damage. This could were off if you switched variant maybe?
- That would be great.

- Nah, that doesn't seem like a good buff in the current state of Light Stance.

3. You also build meter at a slow rate. This would be okay.
The benefits of this buff depends on how slow or good the meter gain is.
4. You heal faster (.075% maybe?) or the more you heal the faster you heal or maybe the lower on health you are the faster you can heal. Buff heal basically and this would be understandable but still leave a bit to desire.
1.00% would be great in this fast-paced game. I think the burst heal that occurs when Yin is released should be buffed tremendously. It should recover 3.00% health, so that repeated bursts of Yin can help against chip damage.
5. Faster recover and startup :(
Healing might benefit from starting up as soon as Liu gets light on his hands.
What do you guys think?
Idea: EX Yin heals him by 8% if the animation is finished, while held it heals him by 2.50% per tick, along with having frame data like the empowered fireball in Dragon's Fire. A ridiculous enhanced special for a gimmicky variation.

@Just2Swift mentioned something about how Dark Stance's Yang should give Liu a burst of health if he switches to Light Stance while charged, with varying amounts of health recieved depending on the charge level.
Both sides still need work but the healing stance most definitely needs to have the ante upped in most areas. I would even go so far as to say have some of his moves grant small healing bonuses, like Mileena's ravenous variation or Shang Tsungs throw from mk9.
Idea: Liu should have a Shaolin Flame-esque buff in Light Stance that allows his attacks to heal him for a certain fraction of the damage he inflicts on the opponent.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Or like when you have stopped dark orbs then switch to light stance any orbs on screen you absorb them for more health.

Or same scenario but instead of absorbing the orbs they roitate around you while healing like black adam trait. When done the orbs disperse slowly form both sides then pop immediately after dispersing ( I say sides because I can only stop two orbs starting from full screen)

Zabru

Some great ideas coming out :)

I feel any of these buffs would make the very few dualist liu kang mains very happy. I personally like the ideas of one stance leading into the other stance gives some kind of benefit. Make me wanna switch stances and be rewarded for doing it if I meet some prerequisites.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think either a high starting amount with quickly diminishing returns, or a low starting amount that gets higher the longer you hold it could work.

With the first option, you could cancel strings into it and then cancel into something else for a nice small burst of health, but you couldn't just stand back and heal a huge amount.

For the 2nd option, it's just simple risk/reward; the longer you hold it, the more benefits you get.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
They could also change the healing so that it's more of a charge effect that affects his balls, like in the dark version. It could give the balls a life leach effect.

Zabru

They could also change the healing so that it's more of a charge effect that affects his balls, like in the dark version. It could give the balls a life leach effect.
I actually thought thats what it would do when I first heard Dualist had a heal special instead of a damage special. I though his specials or normals would return a portion of life for a limited time.