What's new

Liu Kang Blockstring ideas?

swag1

EX smash solves all
Alright so is there any good blockstrings for Liu Kang? I was looking for another character, and I couldn't believe he was hiding in plain sight. Anyways, I'm pretty new to this character. What do you guys use? This is what I have so far. Also, I apologize if these aren't that great, I only picked up Liu Kang a week or so ago and haven't had much lab time.

Super Easy, 22% if High hits are blocked: 2 1, Low Fireball, Throw
Pretty predictable but still good if you have no meter.

1 Meter, 23% at minimum: 2 1, EN Low Fireball, Forward 3, Forward 1 2 1, Low Fireball

2 most important lk strings are, B312 and 213 these are 2 safe strings on block and launch on hit. The B 321 dash 321, f24 bike. 213 213, f24 bike on hit.

Do not use a flow chart for your rushdown game. You can't play Liu Kang like that. He has too many good mix ups up his sleeve for you to be playing predictably. You need to play spontaneously; thinking up block strings on the spot.

F12 is a decent string. On hit it grants advantage, on block it's 0. F121 knocks down if you want to mix up you block strings. I find that F121 is too fast though, so another idea would be to use fireball/ex low fireball. B312 is 0 on block. B31 looks like it's also 0. 213 is 0. 21 disadvantage, so if you try to do 21 into B312, the opponent's gonna be able to poke out easy. 2 is also a high, so watch out that people poke you out of it. F3 is 0, so make sure you make good use of it because it gives lots of advantage on hit. F3 is probably the only normal you'll use that's more than 10 frames (aside from D4 but with Liu Kang has limited use for D4 since his B3 is faster).

Midscreen: B312, B312, B312, B31 bike kick 36%
213, B312, B312, B31 bike kick 35%

Approaching corner: B312 x infinity 37%

corner: B312, njp air fireball, B312, B312, B31 low fireball. 39%.

Extra tip: Liu Kang's low fireball can be done while crouching; you never need to stand up when doing consecutive low fireballs. It's 0 on hit however, so be careful using it up close.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Do not use a flow chart for your rushdown game. You can't play Liu Kang like that. He has too many good mix ups up his sleeve for you to be playing predictably. You need to play spontaneously; thinking up block strings on the spot.

F12 is a decent string. On hit it grants advantage, on block it's 0. F121 knocks down if you want to mix up you block strings. I find that F121 is too fast though, so another idea would be to use fireball/ex low fireball. B312 is 0 on block. B31 looks like it's also 0. 213 is 0. 21 disadvantage, so if you try to do 21 into B312, the opponent's gonna be able to poke out easy. 2 is also a high, so watch out that people poke you out of it. F3 is 0, so make sure you make good use of it because it gives lots of advantage on hit. F3 is probably the only normal you'll use that's more than 10 frames (aside from D4 but with Liu Kang has limited use for D4 since his B3 is faster).

Midscreen: B312, B312, B312, B31 bike kick 36%
213, B312, B312, B31 bike kick 35%

Approaching corner: B312 x infinity 37%

corner: B312, njp air fireball, B312, B312, B31 low fireball. 39%.

Extra tip: Liu Kang's low fireball can be done while crouching; you never need to stand up when doing consecutive low fireballs. It's 0 on hit however, so be careful using it up close.
B+3,1,2 xx njp, Dragon Stance, B+1 xx jk, air fireball B+3,1,2 xx B+3,1,2, B+3,1 Low Fireball does about 46% with the jip. Dunno if it's a good idea since it's harder to land, but it looks sexy as fuck the first times.

swag1

EX smash solves all
That looks beautiful. I'm liking it so far. Can't wait to find some solid time to play around with Liu Kang. I'm feeling like trying some new combos with 2 1 3, Dragon Stance, 1; If you can find something with this tell me.

Theme

Noob
I remember someone made a 100+ combo video for Liu Kang, does someone still have the link? Much appreciated if yo do.

Marvaz

come at me
So i got a ps3 back yesterday, all i can say is LIU KANG is broken. LOL. Just like i once said sub zero was broken before ANYONE knew about subs resets, now im saying that same thing about liu.

So i got a ps3 back yesterday, all i can say is LIU KANG is broken. LOL. Just like i once said sub zero was broken before ANYONE knew about subs resets, now im saying that same thing about liu.
Whatever it is you discovered, I hope it's not a glitch. I never used 212 ice ball into ex ice puddle.

Since you're not going to SCR, could you tell us what it is? Or are you planning on saving it for a major after SCR?

Marvaz

come at me
Since you're not going to SCR, could you tell us what it is? Or are you planning on saving it for a major after SCR?
Yeah im planning on attending a major after scr. If i dont i will def let it be known. Also now that i tested it further liu kang is not broken as i thought lol. But he did get way better with the shit i came up with i can say that for a fact.

swag1

EX smash solves all
This is unrelated, but there is so much people saying I have new tech. I'm not in any way saying this is illegitimate, but I try not to get too hyped for tech because CD jr.'s "GODLIKE" new tech (keep in mind this started a monster of people coming out with tech, his was for Kitana) was actually just 2 1, footsies. But if it is really revolutionary I am excited to hear what it is!

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Ex Low fireball on hit is huge advantage for you, this is nice for mixing up , 21 EX low fireball will hit when people are stand blocking for the 3 and you get enough advantage to go into another blocked string / mix-up. Any time an EX Fireball hits you have enough advantage for another string, so theres always a low option at the end of your strings that will mean you can get in. Theres more to lui kang than many people think, i mean i found this stuff just from completing ladder with him for the trophy, so im sure people who put more than ~15 mins into him will be able to come up with some utter madness!

Ex Low fireball on hit is huge advantage for you, this is nice for mixing up , 21 EX low fireball will hit when people are stand blocking for the 3 and you get enough advantage to go into another blocked string / mix-up. Any time an EX Fireball hits you have enough advantage for another string, so theres always a low option at the end of your strings that will mean you can get in. Theres more to lui kang than many people think, i mean i found this stuff just from completing ladder with him for the trophy, so im sure people who put more than ~15 mins into him will be able to come up with some utter madness!
If you go for this mixup try to do it off a jump in punch. Stand 2 whiffs against crouch block allowing the opponent to low poke you out of the string, but if you start it off a jump in punch, it jails them in stand block.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
man ive noticed liu kang's are coming out of everywhere using his strings into low ex fireball which stuns you enough to dash in for more combo mix up pressure

neat stuff

swag1

EX smash solves all
man ive noticed liu kang's are coming out of everywhere using his strings into low ex fireball which stuns you enough to dash in for more combo mix up pressure

neat stuff
Yeah man he has amazing offensive stuff. Lots of people use EX Low Fireball into Forward 3, so people are learning the matchup and blocking high. I mix it up with F+4 ~ High Fireball, which has decent advantage on hit.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Yeah man he has amazing offensive stuff. Lots of people use EX Low Fireball into Forward 3, so people are learning the matchup and blocking high. I mix it up with F+4 ~ High Fireball, which has decent advantage on hit.
High fireball has advantage on hit, and what if they block or duck it, how do things shape up then. Seems risky

Is it possible to hit confirm F12 into high fire ball? Just tested and I'm pretty sure high fire ball is +9 on hit. I was able to get a guaranteed uppercut but not a guaranteed B3 or F1. Ex low fire ball is at least +21 since I was able to get guaranteed F3 very easily.

swag1

EX smash solves all
I do not have exact frame data, but for some reason I think high fireball is either even on block of fast special. Either way, I use F4 ~ High Fireball because they are forced to block low and I'm pretty sure the high fireball connects if they are blocking low. So, they either take it, which gives you advantage, or they block which builds some meter and even on block (I think, not positive)

I do not have exact frame data, but for some reason I think high fireball is either even on block of fast special. Either way, I use F4 ~ High Fireball because they are forced to block low and I'm pretty sure the high fireball connects if they are blocking low. So, they either take it, which gives you advantage, or they block which builds some meter and even on block (I think, not positive)
High fire ball is not neutral. It might be safe, but the disadvantage forces you to block, otherwise you're gonna get hit with a combo. High fire ball will also whiff on low block.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
This is where someone discovers that JIP jails high giving a guaranteed fireball and makes a new tech thread.

Then people will say "How does he do it!" :photo:

swag1

EX smash solves all
His JIP, Forward 3 scares that crap out of people. They expect a JIP Back 3 (low), but if you do forward 3 (medium), you get advantage and they're like what the hell. I also like just doing back 3, so you can hit confirm that and then check them with a forward 3

My favorite tactics are..

f1,2,lowEXfireball,dash,2,1,3.
I usually start by building enough meter to do f1,2lowEXfireball twice so the opponent recognizes it and starts to block low on the last hit. Once your opponent knows to block low instead of doing f1,2 twice you dash in and do 2,1,3 which ends with a overhead.

For the corner I use b3,1,2,b3,1,2,b3,1,2,(2),(1),3. Basically you do b3,1,2 three times (I believe you can do it up to 4-5 times?) and then start 2,1,3 but whiff the 2 and 1. On most accounts your opponent will block low expecting another b3,1,2 or will simply get hit out of whatever wakeup attack they are doing and allow you to do a full b3,1,2 combo.