What's new

Liu Kang 3rd Tournament Variation Ideas

MURK

Noob
Since NRS mentioned future tournament variations, I think we should help them out by giving logical, creative ideas for Liu's 3rd variation.

I myself will look at his move list and come up with some ideas soon, but until then...

Let's hear your thoughts!!!

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
My go to 3rd variation has:
  • Low fireball
  • Parry
  • Teleport that puts you right in front of the opponent without attacking them so you can whiff punish their failed attempt at zoning you
Stances are too punishable I find

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
My go to 3rd variation has:
  • Low fireball
  • Parry
  • Teleport that puts you right in front of the opponent without attacking them so you can whiff punish their failed attempt at zoning you
Stances are too punishable I find
At least the other stance is a true 50 50. Unsafe but a mix up if you want to go for it. Where as the current one is pretty much useless

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
At least the other stance is a true 50 50. Unsafe but a mix up if you want to go for it. Where as the current one is pretty much useless
Yea but I feel his stances (both of them are so easy to react to. It is a shame that he doesnt really have an overhead, which basically means we have to rely on grabs or the punisheable hops

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
I see you @Kindred and I agree that Parry and Low Fireball cannot be left outside of a perfect variation.

As for the 3rd, in my custom variation that I use for some ridiculous towers (like the Noob Saibot one that is up since today), I add the dragon fire buff.
But of course a teleport is the ultimate answer for both zoning and antizoning/punishing like you said.

The command grab is interesting but I hate the down,back,forward inputs...

Shaolin stance is safe as f**** if you go for the low kick. If you go for the mid/OH "combo" and you try to use it as a range attack you are going to eat a punish. But if you do it in a good range its okay.
But Shaolin Stance is very useful. At low and mid level play have great use, and its a 50/50, because opponent are not that good on reaction.
At high level play, low kick is very useful and its 100% safe, and its insanely fast.