What's new

Liu, 12, and You: A Quick MonkeyBizness Guide to Liu's Most Important Hitconfirm

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Free, Minute-long Lessons to Make You Less Free:
Episode 1: Liu Kang's 12.

Are you wondering why Liu Kang seems to be the flavor of the month character, and is on the rise in everyone's tier lists?

It's because Liu benefit from this patch's universal D1 changes the most.

He can now jail into his 12 off D1 on hit. 12 no longer whiffs on some crouch-blocks either, meaning Liu players must practice the drill in this video.

Enjoy, and good luck drilling this drill into your head!

KIllaByte

What should I do on female characters in the corner?
123 into bicycle kick for a +3, point-blank restand is my favorite option, but you can also use the krushing blow, spend meter on bicycle kick to build krushing blow, spend one bar on flying dragon kick for optimal one bar damage on women, or do fatal blow for a kill if you need to.

KIllaByte

I found all this after the patch but great thread, nonetheless. For me its harder to Hitconfirm F3 into F3333 and it seems F3xxShaolinStance has a gap now.
Yep, F3333 has a nice gap for cancels, but Liu can still use B124 (cancel on the 2) into EX high fireball to push people away and be minus 4 if they block all 3, and he can do B2 into into EX high fireball as well, no gap there either.

I say this because F3333 cancel used to be quick enough to allow Liu to do EX high fireball and prevent opponents from ducking, it was another way to block-confirm in addition to his DD1 stance into low.

KIllaByte

@KIllaByte I had no idea liu could combo off the low fireball from f43 like that. I also was practicing the 123 hit confirm and it's hard as hell. You make it look easy haha! Practice makes progress though
I press 12 as quickly together as possible, and then hitconfirm. It's really important to not be trigger happy on pressing 3, because if they are blocking, you go from a potential plus 3 situation to an instant minus 6 situation. On the flipside, if 12 hits, but you fail to press 3 in time, the opponent is still stuck in serious hitstun, and you can just jail into another 12 and try again.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Yep, F3333 has a nice gap for cancels, but Liu can still use B124 (cancel on the 2) into EX high fireball to push people away and be minus 4 if they block all 3, and he can do B2 into into EX high fireball as well, no gap there either.

I say this because F3333 cancel used to be quick enough to allow Liu to do EX high fireball and prevent opponents from ducking, it was another way to block-confirm in addition to his DD1 stance into low.
I recently picked up WSL and LQ Liu Kang. Can opponents duck the high fireball or does it jail from B124xxAmp-Fireball/B2xxAmp-Fireball?

Damn, this ia hella useful, thanks, Im picking Liu as my sub since I got his dope young justice skin accidentally.

On a side note, anyone got a trick or a drill to hit confirm f3333 or f3333+cancel into stuff? I cant consistently cancel it on block. I have seen good Lius do it very consistently.

KIllaByte

I recently picked up WSL and LQ Liu Kang. Can opponents duck the high fireball or does it jail from B124xxAmp-Fireball/B2xxAmp-Fireball?
The first and second high fireballs jail from B124 (2nd hit cancel) and B2 cancel, but the opponent can duck the third one if they let go of block. It's still a good option because they can't duck the first, which is rare, and the timing is different enough to mess people up.

KIllaByte

Damn, this ia hella useful, thanks, Im picking Liu as my sub since I got his dope young justice skin accidentally.

On a side note, anyone got a trick or a drill to hit confirm f3333 or f3333+cancel into stuff? I cant consistently cancel it on block. I have seen good Lius do it very consistently.
Get good at pressing F3333 exactly four times as quickly as possible, and buffer the down down input the whole time. Doing so gives you more time and energy to focus on pressing the stance cancel button only if they block.

KIllaByte

Thanks again @KIllaByte I was practicing this last night. Need to work on not committing too early. Also, do you have any tips or drills on wave dashing?
I figured out Liu's wavdashing timing recently. About halfway through your dash animation, lightly tap block and press forward immediately after. You should get 1.5 dashes, which is a wavedash. Practice only one wavedash at a time.

HoangS-Z

Learn From This!
So after the patch his F333 and his Stance are useless and should not be used, right?
I watched Ninja Killah prepatch did F333 Stance or even F43 stance to pressure but I just labbed it tonight all of his stance options are interruptable. I guess after post patch he should only use F43, 123, B124 as the main strings, right?

KIllaByte

So after the patch his F333 and his Stance are useless and should not be used, right?
I watched Ninja Killah prepatch did F333 Stance or even F43 stance to pressure but I just labbed it tonight all of his stance options are interruptable. I guess after post patch he should only use F43, 123, B124 as the main strings, right?
Stance is still usable. It's another one of many potential cancel options to react to. No cancel is perfectly safe, but if you use them all, no opponent is prepared for the interrupt or the punish for every option at the same time. They tend to commit to one.

Off of the second hit of B124 and B2, Liu can actually counter hit opponents using the nunchuk attack out of stance.

Stance 3 kick actually low profiles a lot of potential interrupts, and is only minus 8 on block, with fairly large pushback. It's still a very difficult punish.

Stance cancel is always punishable on block, but still incredibly hard to react to, because Liu players can toss it into any hit of a string at any time.

Combine these options with high and low fireball cancels and not cancelling at all, and it's really still quite overwhelming.

Ninjakilla still uses it, but just not as much off of F3333, where going into the low stance kick after the third hit on block used to be a frametrap that nobody could full punish on block, now it can be interrupted. It's fair.

HoangS-Z

Learn From This!
Stance is still usable. It's another one of many potential cancel options to react to. No cancel is perfectly safe, but if you use them all, no opponent is prepared for the interrupt or the punish for every option at the same time. They tend to commit to one.

Off of the second hit of B124 and B2, Liu can actually counter hit opponents using the nunchuk attack out of stance.

Stance 3 kick actually low profiles a lot of potential interrupts, and is only minus 8 on block, with fairly large pushback. It's still a very difficult punish.

Stance cancel is always punishable on block, but still incredibly hard to react to, because Liu players can toss it into any hit of a string at any time.

Combine these options with high and low fireball cancels and not cancelling at all, and it's really still quite overwhelming.

Ninjakilla still uses it, but just not as much off of F3333, where going into the low stance kick after the third hit on block used to be a frametrap that nobody could full punish on block, now it can be interrupted. It's fair.
Thank you for your reply, I still wonder about the F3333 string, is it still usable or shouldn't be used at all at the moment?

KIllaByte

Thank you for your reply, I still wonder about the F3333 string, is it still usable or shouldn't be used at all at the moment?
It's usable for big punishes and the occasional stagger or fishing for big damage. It's nice that it's still confirmable.

HoangS-Z

Learn From This!
It's -9 for F3 and -12 for F3333, the start up is 13fr so it's not a fast mid and unsafe. I feel like there is no reason to use it when we have F43 9fr start up and safer