What's new

Lex's Play Style?

So I've been messing around with Lex online, I've won over 100 matches (that's not saying much) but even with that I still feel like I'm not playing him correctly lol I definitely don't do enough mine setups, I go for damage instead.

I normally play rush down characters or grapplers in fighting games, never zoning type characters, so I feel slightly lost trying to figure out the right way to use Lex.

I think Lex is a good character, and you don't see a ton of Lex players online, so I also like that. Any tips would be great, or video guides to look up, cheers.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I actually recorded a Kryptonite Academy video with Pig last night for Lex.

In my opinion the central things to his gameplan are armoring up and setting up your opponent properly. I can't stress the trait enough. If you can do it you should use it.

He's neither a rushdown or zoning character really (unless he has trait, then you can go in). He plays as a more momentum-based and otherwise sort of defensive character with good whiff punishing tools to set up his offense.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Played a bunch of sets against PPJ yesterday. Lex gets a free lvl 1 trait after a Corps Charge. It seems like from a zoning perspective, you want to set up his traps so they are scared to move around, them tag them with some unblockable lasers/missles.

I actually recorded a Kryptonite Academy video with Pig last night for Lex.

In my opinion the central things to his gameplan are armoring up and setting up your opponent properly. I can't stress the trait enough. If you can do it you should use it.

He's neither a rushdown or zoning character really (unless he has trait, then you can go in). He plays as a more momentum-based and otherwise sort of defensive character with good whiff punishing tools to set up his offense.

When will that "kryptonite Academy" episode be posted?

I got that Lex is defensive based, thats what I'm having a hard time with. I'm not use to that play style. When you do go in what is Lex's best string? back 1 3, low starter of course, but other then that I find 1 1 2, the 1 1 whiffs a lot if they duck and then you eat a down 2 combo or whatever which is not good.

RM Truth

Can't remember what the inputs are, but he has one string that ends in either a low or an overhead, and both are hella plus on block.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
When will that "kryptonite Academy" episode be posted?

I got that Lex is defensive based, thats what I'm having a hard time with. I'm not use to that play style. When you do go in what is Lex's best string? back 1 3, low starter of course, but other then that I find 1 1 2, the 1 1 whiff a lot if they duck and then you eat a down 2 combo or whatever.
Not sure, whenever pig edits it or whatever.

My go-to string with him midscreen is 22, other than the 50/50

Can't remember what the inputs are, but he has one string that ends in either a low or an overhead, and both are hella plus on block.

2 2 back 3 ends in a low and 2 2 down 1 ends in a overhead, both are good, but you don't get anything else afterwards (as far as I can tell anyways) unless your in the corner.

RM Truth

2 2 back 3 ends in a low and 2 2 down 1 ends in a overhead, both are good, but you don't get anything else afterwards (as far as I can tell anyways) unless your in the corner.

Probably trait, which just lets you get in for free again on most characters or set up some traps.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Midscreen you can get a Corp Charge after 22d1, but it's a little hard to time. The unfortunate thing is that they can get up really quickly from the CC for some reason so you can't really trait up.

Midscreen you can get a Corp Charge after 22d1, but it's a little hard to time. The unfortunate thing is that they can get up really quickly from the CC for some reason so you can't really trait up.

I saw you do that against REO, but I can't seem to get that to link lol I've tried early, late can't seem to link the CC lol

NKZero

Noob
I saw you do that against REO, but I can't seem to get that to link lol I've tried early, late can't seem to link the CC lol
Yeah you're better off just trait charging after 2, 2, d+1.

Overall, use:

2, 2, d+1
2, 2, b+3
b+1, 3
f+2
d+3
d+1

Those are pretty much the normals and strings I use with Lex. I use his d+2 sometimes but it's not something just to throw out. Aside from the usual 50/50 mix-up you get off b+1, 3 and f+2, I like to use b+1 by itself a lot since it's +6, so you can throw. Now because b+1, 3 is two low hits, the opponent will expect the second low. Then if I'm ballsy I'll do b+1 (stagger) then f+2 and catch them with an overhead. That itself gives you a risky mix-up since you cannot hit-confirm f+2--MB vacuum. You could just do f+2--corp charge or maybe set up with mines/orbs etc.

Yeah you're better off just trait charging after 2, 2, d+1.

Overall, use:

2, 2, d+1
2, 2, b+3
b+1, 3
f+2
d+3
d+1

Those are pretty much the normals and strings I use with Lex. I use his d+2 sometimes but it's not something just to throw out. Aside from the usual 50/50 mix-up you get off b+1, 3 and f+2, I like to use b+1 by itself a lot since it's +6, so you can throw. Now because b+1, 3 is two low hits, the opponent will expect the second low. Then if I'm ballsy I'll do b+1 (stagger) then f+2 and catch them with an overhead. That itself gives you a risky mix-up since you cannot hit-confirm f+2--MB vacuum. You could just do f+2--corp charge or maybe set up with mines/orbs etc.

thanks, good tips.