What's new

Tech Lex Luthor Tech/Gimmicks

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I'm gonna sticky this, so we can use this as a general tech/setup/gimmick discussion thread. Maybe we can form a sort of guide in the OP, but we can figure that out later.

JDM

Noob
Ok found some Incredibly ambiguous shit wiht Lex's Landmines. Dunno if this is already out there, but I seriously doubt it. If it is I will be sad :'( All is explained in the video, check it out.

Correction: Wake ups WILL get you out of this, if they guess the correct way to wake up. Enjoy!

Ok found some Incredibly ambiguous shit wiht Lex's Landmines. Dunno if this is already out there, but I seriously doubt it. If it is I will be sad :'( All is explained in the video, check it out.

Correction: Wake ups WILL get you out of this, if they guess the correct way to wake up. Enjoy!
Its not really a mixup because no matter which side you're on, holding down will block the mine. However if you can get a J2 to crossup and not whiff it would be sweet because A) the blockstun from the mine should keep them from anti-airing you B ) they have to block the J2 on the crossup side, and J2 puts you at frame advantage C) their wakeup inputs are reversed.

It doesn't look like the J2 will connect looking at the spacing but it's worth testing. I wonder if a jump BACK 2 could work. You can do the same combo but instead do a trait dash cancel after the D2. The neutral jump will reverse wakeup inputs and the J2 won't crossup but it won't whiff, giving you frame advantage and trait up close.

My system won't be back in action for awhile so I can't play or help test anything. I'm just gonna play theory fighter for the time being and lurk the shit out of these forums.

JDM

Noob
Its not really a mixup because no matter which side you're on, holding down will block the mine. However if you can get a J2 to crossup and not whiff it would be sweet because A) the blockstun from the mine should keep them from anti-airing you B ) they have to block the J2 on the crossup side, and J2 puts you at frame advantage C) their wakeup inputs are reversed.

It doesn't look like the J2 will connect looking at the spacing but it's worth testing. I wonder if a jump BACK 2 could work. You can do the same combo but instead do a trait dash cancel after the D2. The neutral jump will reverse wakeup inputs and the J2 won't crossup but it won't whiff, giving you frame advantage and trait up close.

My system won't be back in action for awhile so I can't play or help test anything. I'm just gonna play theory fighter for the time being and lurk the shit out of these forums.

True, If you don't crossup however and they just hold down you can go for an overhead. Unblockable I would assume.

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
Lex "hard to blockables"
Sacrifices damage so its impractical IMO, but it does lead into a charge cancel to set up some traps or put your trait back on so it has uses
B13xxMBgrav pull, 112xxMBlex probe~dash, Fj3xxcharge.

The probes hit them on the front side while your axe crosses them up on the other side, so they have to change blocking sides mid block string. If they change blocks to early the second probe hits them so the cross up axe connects anyway. This set up cant be backdashed or forward dashed with most characters(must be tech rolled, and the orbs will give you free pressure/time to set traps up). This setup is a gimmick because the cross up axe can be completely avoided if the opponent walks slightly forward on wake up and crouch blocks the probes.

Same hard to blockable can be done with raw u3xxMBlex probe~dash, Fj3xxcharge. This is only practical when you have your trait up to trade, and even then theres not much incentive to do this unless you want bursts of unclashable dmg.

This same kind of thing can be done in the corner, but timing is much more difficult. Same thing can be done without meter burning the probe, but timing is much much more difficult

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
I have had 0 luck easily reproducing the video and I'm even using a small character to use it on (shazam) but I was still very interested in the concept, so I'm posting my early work/findings with the dash jump cross up
*launcher*(b13/f2/112) into MB vacuum b3 ji2 2 trait dash in nj delayed 3, will cross up, d1 MB vacuum whatever
Also if the opponent has a forward moving WU such as Shazams torpedo, Batmans slide etc. they will go under you and be smacked with your j3, brilliant

Edit, tested against Corp charge, Lex goes right under, and he has a pretty big hitbox, so although I haven't tested most characters I'm gunna say unless you have and angled WU (rising grab SM) you are safe with this tech

Sad Edit: tried it online, it gets away scot free with tech roll WU :( although you are in good spacing with shield up though!

JDM

Noob
I have had 0 luck easily reproducing the video and I'm even using a small character to use it on (shazam) but I was still very interested in the concept, so I'm posting my early work/findings with the dash jump cross up
*launcher*(b13/f2/112) into MB vacuum b3 ji2 2 trait dash in nj delayed 3, will cross up, d1 MB vacuum whatever
Also if the opponent has a forward moving WU such as Shazams torpedo, Batmans slide etc. they will go under you and be smacked with your j3, brilliant

Edit, tested against Corp charge, Lex goes right under, and he has a pretty big hitbox, so although I haven't tested most characters I'm gunna say unless you have and angled WU (rising grab SM) you are safe with this tech

Sad Edit: tried it online, it gets away scot free with tech roll WU :( although you are in good spacing with shield up though!
Yeah, techs get you out free. If they constantly do this, far landmine will get more pressure. There's always more ways you can apply pressure. :)

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
More practical variation of the lex "hard to blockable" ofF of his mine trap reset

b12(or f2 for the overhead)xxMBgrav pull, b3, j2, 22xxland mine~j3(and if they dont dash to escape the set up or if they cant block overhead then low fast enough and it hits), opponent is caught on mine trap, u3xxMBlex probe~dash j3xxcharge

With this set up, and the 112xxmine set up(I said 113 in my earlier post on accident), you can just dash then jump forward without using an air normal and the opponent will still have to change the way they are blocking. Its just more obvious that thats what they have to do if you chose to do that. If you just do the empty jump over however your attacks can come out the frame you hit the ground so the opponent must tech a throw if you put it out or block another low starter/overhead starter.

With this variant you do have time to trait up and dash cancel while still getting the cross up, but the cross up will not happen in the same block string. The opponent still has to respect it and you also have trait up so if you are found out and they do block perfectly you can still cancel into charge and be safe from a punish.

More practical variation of the lex "hard to blockable" ofF of his mine trap reset

b12(or f2 for the overhead)xxMBgrav pull, b3, j2, 22xxland mine~j3(and if they dont dash to escape the set up or if they cant block overhead then low fast enough and it hits), opponent is caught on mine trap, u3xxMBlex probe~dash j3xxcharge

With this set up, and the 112xxmine set up(I said 113 in my earlier post on accident), you can just dash then jump forward without using an air normal and the opponent will still have to change the way they are blocking. Its just more obvious that thats what they have to do if you chose to do that. If you just do the empty jump over however your attacks can come out the frame you hit the ground so the opponent must tech a throw if you put it out or block another low starter/overhead starter.

With this variant you do have time to trait up and dash cancel while still getting the cross up, but the cross up will not happen in the same block string. The opponent still has to respect it and you also have trait up so if you are found out and they do block perfectly you can still cancel into charge and be safe from a punish.
For the follow up " u3xxMBlex probe~dash j3xxcharge"

Doing u3xxMB probe means by the time you get to the enemy, jump and attack, the probes are firing. This is giving you the desired effect you wanted- the probe shots are coming out at the same time as your attack, so it can be very difficult to block, especially if Lex is also doing an ambiguous crossup.

But I think we need to take into account the buff that probes got. The guaranteed blockstun they do even if they hit mid-combo basically gives you TWO completely safe 50/50's. Meaning the opponent really has more of a 77% chance they'll get hit instead of just a 50%, because it's basically a mini-reset.

Let's say instead of an u3, you keep the enemy closer, maybe with a 22xxMB probe, or even a B2xxMB probe if you want to be right on top of them after (also, you should be able to add to damage by jumping in on them with a j2 while they're trapped on the mine).

When the probe is out, if they are close to you so that you don't need to dash AND jump, instead of the probe hitting at the same time as your first attack opportunity, it's hitting right after. That gives you TWO 50/50's because if the first is blocked, for example, a b13 or f2, the probe will then fire and the stun of it will give you advantage for a second f2 or b13.

Here's the kicker though, if you successfully connect the FIRST 50/50 with an f2 (overhead) or a b1 (low)*, the probe shots will hit the enemy and launch them long enough to put a mine under them after they land. You can actually do MB lex probes, F2 x(MB probes hit)x mine, and the enemy will be combo'd into the mine (the MB Lex probes now give Lex a HUGE ammount of time to get the mine under the airborne enemy now)

*if in the first 50/50 you do a b13 instead of a b1, the second hit of b13 will connect after the first probe hit and reduces the pop-up, meaning you can't throw a mine under the airborne enemy to combo them into a mine before they land. So I suggest just doing a b1 instead of b13 for the first 50/50 afforded by MB probes.

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
For the follow up " u3xxMBlex probe~dash j3xxcharge"

Doing u3xxMB probe means by the time you get to the enemy, jump and attack, the probes are firing. This is giving you the desired effect you wanted- the probe shots are coming out at the same time as your attack, so it can be very difficult to block, especially if Lex is also doing an ambiguous crossup.

But I think we need to take into account the buff that probes got. The guaranteed blockstun they do even if they hit mid-combo basically gives you TWO completely safe 50/50's. Meaning the opponent really has more of a 77% chance they'll get hit instead of just a 50%, because it's basically a mini-reset.

Let's say instead of an u3, you keep the enemy closer, maybe with a 22xxMB probe, or even a B2xxMB probe if you want to be right on top of them after (also, you should be able to add to damage by jumping in on them with a j2 while they're trapped on the mine).

When the probe is out, if they are close to you so that you don't need to dash AND jump, instead of the probe hitting at the same time as your first attack opportunity, it's hitting right after. That gives you TWO 50/50's because if the first is blocked, for example, a b13 or f2, the probe will then fire and the stun of it will give you advantage for a second f2 or b13.

Here's the kicker though, if you successfully connect the FIRST 50/50 with an f2 (overhead) or a b1 (low)*, the probe shots will hit the enemy and launch them long enough to put a mine under them after they land. You can actually do MB lex probes, F2 x(MB probes hit)x mine, and the enemy will be combo'd into the mine (the MB Lex probes now give Lex a HUGE ammount of time to get the mine under the airborne enemy now)

*if in the first 50/50 you do a b13 instead of a b1, the second hit of b13 will connect after the first probe hit and reduces the pop-up, meaning you can't throw a mine under the airborne enemy to combo them into a mine before they land. So I suggest just doing a b1 instead of b13 for the first 50/50 afforded by MB probes.
I wasnt even thinking of the implications the buffs had on lex's pressure game, I just found a set up that crossed up mid block like advanced batman trait set ups. I really like the thought you have put into the set up and have safe 50/50 here. I was wondering how close the opponent would stay if we used a move with more hit advantage out of a hit landmine set up that would give us time to put trait on before we went in for the 50/50 so we can apply even more pressure safely. The only thing that comes to mind is f2xxMBlexprobes~trait dash cancel~50/50, but im not near my console so I cant test this out

I wasnt even thinking of the implications the buffs had on lex's pressure game, I just found a set up that crossed up mid block like advanced batman trait set ups. I really like the thought you have put into the set up and have safe 50/50 here. I was wondering how close the opponent would stay if we used a move with more hit advantage out of a hit landmine set up that would give us time to put trait on before we went in for the 50/50 so we can apply even more pressure safely. The only thing that comes to mind is f2xxMBlexprobes~trait dash cancel~50/50, but im not near my console so I cant test this out
Oops, I actually messed up the setup I gave you. That one won't work- the probes won't combo into the mine like that, was mixing it up with another setup.

I'll post a video with the correct setups soon. But in quick summary, you don't get a free mine after b1-MBprobe hit or B2-MB probe hit, HOWEVER you do get a free B3 if the b1/b2 hits and the probes juggle after. And if the opponent blocks the first b1/b2 hit, you still get an extra mixup (or trait) afforded by the MB probes :)

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
Idk if this has been talked about but en ding a combo in d2 then trait dashing and neutral 2 jumping makes fur a very ambiguous cross up also since you're in trait it helps stuff wake ups and if they tech roll the jump 2 will miss but standing 2 2 will hit them

Idk if this has been talked about but en ding a combo in d2 then trait dashing and neutral 2 jumping makes fur a very ambiguous cross up also since you're in trait it helps stuff wake ups and if they tech roll the jump 2 will miss but standing 2 2 will hit them
Yep it reverses wakeups but I was never able to get the J2 to crossup consistently. Regardless of what side it hits though their inputs are reversed the moment they get up when you're right over them, and with trait they can't antiair you so it's a free J2 that leads to a 50/50 on the ground. If you scout a tech roll you can jump forward to stay on top of them

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
Yep it reverses wakeups but I was never able to get the J2 to crossup consistently. Regardless of what side it hits though their inputs are reversed the moment they get up when you're right over them, and with trait they can't antiair you so it's a free J2 that leads to a 50/50 on the ground. If you scout a tech roll you can jump forward to stay on top of them
Cool just making sure it was tallied about loo

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
Some of the corner setups Lex has from U3~Corp Charge hard knockdowns in the corner.

bout time this combo re-surfaced, I don't know who first posted it with the crazy +frames, but thats the only combo I do in the corner now is a variation into u3 CC, thanks for sharing more enders with it

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
Ok so if you guys follow my posts, you should all be picking fortress of solitude.. *cough* (>.>) anyway start fucking doing it, learning to use a certain map is the one of the best strengths in the game and Lex benefits so damn much from FoS.

So I've been doing this tech for a couple weeks and forgot to share/thought I already did, this is involving the left side of the map, another reason why I love this map, the BGbounce area is huge and easy to b3 on.

Near the ship - IN the corner - starter (112/f2/b13) MB Vacuum. ship, this is so hard to get out of, not impossible, but, very hard
- OUT of the corner - starter, MB vacuum, jump over them, j2 21 ship

Ship combo - Ship, b3 ji2 b2 BGbounce ji2 11xxMBvacuum ji2 after the ji2 do either f2 or b13 this is the best position available for the 50/50 fuck the 11 into 50/50 the 2-3% damy isn't worth the spacing and sometimes whiffed b13

Background Bounce - This is Lex's most dangerous combo I completely fucking killll people with this so use it god damn, don't just read this and think oh neat. Go into practice and learn this.

- b13/f2/b2 BGBounce ji3 11 MB vacuum ji2 (35-37%) 50/50
you hit them with a FREE 50/50 and if you do that's 70% damage!!
Alright what about meter? fuck it, it's 1 bar per 35% damage
What if you don't have it? this forum is FILLED with BGBounce combo enders and shit go pick one

And start replying to my techs, I colour code it and shit... It's good tech too, damn.

Galactic Geek

Losing is learning; winning is succeeding.
Spacepopsicle,

In the corner of FoS, with trait, I usually like to start with: ship, b3, ji2, 2, BGB, close gravity mine, f2, MB db2, b3, ji2, 2, BGB, close gravity mine, crossover, repeat from f2 forever.

This combo while not perfect, is absolutely great against average players. Most of them won't know how to avoid the gravity mine after the BGB. Against them, you could potentially do this until they die or lose an entire health bar, or until you run out of meter. The combo resets too so you don't have to worry about the b3 dropping the entire combo setup. Against better players, you're still relatively safe with trait & the f2 into MB db2 after the BGB into gravity mine setup gives them very few options & offers you a chance at a full-combo punish even if they find ways out of it. so long as you play your cards right & anticipate certain reads (for example, blocking & countering their wake-up with a full-combo punish or using MB f3 instead of trait & f3 for the same desired effect AND more damage). If you want, you can also MB any of the b3 hits in that combo for added damage, provided you have the meter to do so.

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
Galactic Geek

Who cares if it works on the average player, if you're on TYM chances are you're better than the average player.

BGB dd3b f2xxdb2 - Beat by/evaded: without shields
only works on Raven,
BGB dd3b f2xxdb2 - beat by/evaded: with shield
works on: batman cyborg raven WoWo, MMH? (dont have DLC) GL, joker harley zod? catWo KF sinestro (trait dependent) BlackAdam

so without shield don't try it (duh) with trait it works on 43% of the cast Guaranteed, yes guaranteed.
Yes that's a good combo and yes I use it as well, but you don't always have trait, and not always fighting the right half of the cast, and while that is a nice combo because you can use MB vacuum before the BGB,

b13/f2/b2 BGB (optional b3) ji3 11xxMB db2 ji2: works against 100% of the cast without shields and is a completely safe 50/50
there is no arguing over this. being in a BGB area with 1+ bar(s). this is the way to go

You can still bait wakeups if you don't have trait, and even if they don't go for it, the blockstun from the mine should give you enough advantage for a
50/50

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

Galactic Geek

Losing is learning; winning is succeeding.
Spacepopsicle

This isn't a competition to find out which is better; I was merely showing you what I liked to do & why I liked to do it. Also, your combo setup, although it's good, it's a combo setup I often have difficulty with while playing online (particularly with the ji3, 11 aspect of it).

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
hi every body, i just want to know, what do you think of my little brother tech :
This is already known but it's cool. The problem with it is just that you need to hit them immediately after the mine hit which you don't usually get much. Most mine hits come from j3 setups or combos into mines which have too much recovery to get the mb hits in time. There's a sort of legit reset on Fortress with it though. I'm looking to see how it works in Batcave too.

Djoudj

Noob
This is already known but it's cool. The problem with it is just that you need to hit them immediately after the mine hit which you don't usually get much. Most mine hits come from j3 setups or combos into mines which have too much recovery to get the mb hits in time. There's a sort of legit reset on Fortress with it though. I'm looking to see how it works in Batcave too.
That's what I thought, it is difficult to place but if someone find setup, it will vary a little the game character.