What's new

Tech Lex Luthor Tech/Gimmicks

NKZero

Noob
Ok first of all I want to say that if any of this stuff is known I apologise in advance but this is what I've come up with after some messing around in the lab.

#1 CORNER CROSS-UP MIX-UP
Ok with this one, you do a simple corner combo e.g. b+1, 3-MB vacuum-f+3-j+3-1, 1-u+3-trait charge dash cancel.

By doing the dash cancel, you are charging up armour while also dashing forwards so you're going for the set-up while being armoured up in case of wake-ups or whatever. I normally only manage to get to level 2 in order for the set-up to work but level 2 is good enough anyways.

When you dash forwards, depending on how early/late you do the j+2, you can either cross-up or hit from the original side. However since you are doing a neutral j+2, it is very ambiguous so the opponent has to guess.

My advice is just practice it and get used to the timing to make it as difficult for the opponent to block as possible. There isn't much variation in the delay of j+2 but enough so you'll know whether you want to hit a cross-up jumping attack or same side attack.

#2 MB ORBITAL STRIKE CORNER CROSS-UP MIX-UP
Now what I originally tried to do was a standard corner combo into u+3-MB orbital strike and then trait dash cancel to create the same mix-up as #1. However this obviously does more damage so I tried to get it to work in this situation but it was extremely inconsistent as by the time you charge trait, when you dash forwards the opponent is already in front of you so you cannot cross-up.

However I discovered that off a naked MB orbital strike, if you trait dash forward, you will get the same mix-up as #1. Now sometimes when I input u/f I end up going backwards and vice-versa so until I figure out the consistency of timing, it's random as to when you'll jump forwards or backwards. But you do want to go forwards in any case. If you jump forwards and j+2, you cross-up. If you neutral jump, you get same side but once again it has the same animation and Lex appears to neutral jump on both occasions.

#3 TRAIT DASH CANCEL MID-SCREEN CROSS-UP MIX-UP
This is a mid-screen one. Once again I'm having consistency issues and I've spent so much time trying to figure out why and how I end up on which side or which attack works etc. but to no avail :(. I'd appreciate it if you guys give it a go since I'm sure someone will eventually find guaranteed ways to get what exactly they're looking for.

In any case, here's how it works. You end a combo in 2, 1/2, 2-trait dash cancel and then neutral jump. Sometimes when I neutral j+2, I hit from the front and other times I got the cross-up. More often than not you'll end on the cross-up side and the j+2 whiffs altogether. So I have no clue as to achieving the necessary timing for it to always work.

I therefore made some amendments to the set-up. When you end with 1, 1-trait dash cancel, you always get neutral j+2 to hit from original side but it looks ambiguous anyways. If you end in 2, 1 or 2, 2-trait dash cancel, neutral j+3 will always hit cross-up side but I want j+2 for greater chance of getting a combo off (although I think you can deep j+3-d+1-MB vacuum anyways).

#4 MINE SET-UP INTO TOUGH TO BLOCK OVERHEAD/LOW
Ok so this is a little gimmicky.

You can do a combo and end with MB vacuum (for this reason I only recommend doing this after a f+3 or b+3 combo starter since you won't sacrifice too much damage). After MB vacuum, do 2, 1-mine (standard mine).

I'm not sure if they have time to interrupt all of this, but 2, 1 puts them directly on the mine and if you do instant j+3, you give them an extremely difficult to block scenario so you get some good damage and if they fail to block either mine or j+3 they could eat a combo.

Besides if they can interrupt just keep blocking and you may have a chance to push block them into mine. I need to explore this further but here's some food for thought and maybe you guys can mess around with it yourselves.

------------

That is all I have. As said before, if any of this is known or is not sufficient I apologise. Just trying to get this forum kicking with ideas and tech. I'll tag anyone I can remember (not many lol):

Revolver
LtLuthor
GGA pimpimjim
BDMao88
ShadowBeatz
x5STAR

For the corner orbital strike setup, are you trait dashing while they're falling from the strike and going for the crossup J2 as they get up? If that's the case I think I would rather combo off the orbital strike into U3 > trait dash (setup #1) since it's essentially the same mixup and you maximize your damage that way.

On #3: I've also yet to find a combo ender or a timing que that guarantees the J2 will crossup or hit same side after a trait dash. I go for these setups anyway though since they're just as ambiguous for me as the opponent. I'll try to test some out tomorrow.

On #4: have you tested the gap between 21 > DD3 against reversals or pokes? It sounds like if they let the mine come out they have to block low immediately, which is good for the J3.

I credit Galactic Geek for spearheading the discovery of a mine setup after a midscreen combo on stages with background bounce intractables. Since stage bounces cause untechable knockdowns, you can end a combo with 22 > SB and lay down a close mine as they fly back into the foreground. They can't backdash on wakeup since the mine actually gets placed slightly behind them, so they have to either wakeup attack to escape the mine or just block low. This allows for a very hard to block F2 combo starter, and if you have trait up this is basically guaranteed against single-hit wakeups.

I want to do some more testing on this but i think it's pretty legit. If they catch on to the timing of the low-overhead or are fuzzy guarding you can always do B13 instead. I think you can also go for a crossup J3 and maybe mix that up with an instant J2 that hits same side, but I haven't tried those options yet.

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
I haven't gotten to test any of this yet, but I am greatful you posted a new, huge topic tech thread, it's gotten so slow, and sometimes with new little discoveries I make I have no where to put them and they're not big enough for a new thread, so, good research, glad this is now a thread.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Nice stuff, I have some new things I found and I'll be making a video in a little bit with that and a bunch of recently found stuff as well. Unless you want to record these. Of course I'll give credit though to whoever found them.

I'm trying to work on j1/j2 crossup setups with CC as well. I think j1 will sometimes hit in front where j2 would hit them behind.

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
Also for midscreen cross ups, if you have a juggled opponent, (b3) end it with b2 back up about half a step ji2 will crossup, no tech roll no wake up, end with b2 takle a step and half ish ji2 will not cross up, no tech roll no wake up

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
What about the stance switch on the neutral j2? I play Grundy and Lex too and Grundys are usually based on which way hes facing.(Corpse walk tech) Maybe Lex is the same way being a big body character like Grundy?

NKZero

Noob
For the corner orbital strike setup, are you trait dashing while they're falling from the strike and going for the crossup J2 as they get up? If that's the case I think I would rather combo off the orbital strike into U3 > trait dash (setup #1) since it's essentially the same mixup and you maximize your damage that way.

On #3: I've also yet to find a combo ender or a timing que that guarantees the J2 will crossup or hit same side after a trait dash. I go for these setups anyway though since they're just as ambiguous for me as the opponent. I'll try to test some out tomorrow.

On #4: have you tested the gap between 21 > DD3 against reversals or pokes? It sounds like if they let the mine come out they have to block low immediately, which is good for the J3.

I credit Galactic Geek for spearheading the discovery of a mine setup after a midscreen combo on stages with background bounce intractables. Since stage bounces cause untechable knockdowns, you can end a combo with 22 > SB and lay down a close mine as they fly back into the foreground. They can't backdash on wakeup since the mine actually gets placed slightly behind them, so they have to either wakeup attack to escape the mine or just block low. This allows for a very hard to block F2 combo starter, and if you have trait up this is basically guaranteed against single-hit wakeups.

I want to do some more testing on this but i think it's pretty legit. If they catch on to the timing of the low-overhead or are fuzzy guarding you can always do B13 instead. I think you can also go for a crossup J3 and maybe mix that up with an instant J2 that hits same side, but I haven't tried those options yet.
Ok for orbital strike set-up, I'm charging it as soon as possible, which in reality is halfway through the missile strikes. I'm also 'neutral' jumping immediately, and based on whether I input u/f or u/b vs. neutral jump, I will land on either side.

Now as I said, I would get more damage if I got it to work with u+3-MB orbital strike and then dash cancel armour but it was unreliable. So all I've found here is a situation where you can do it off naked MB orbital strike. These set-ups are meant to complement one another. In a game the only way you'll pull off a naked MB orbital strike in the corner is when the opponent is in block stun off perhaps a probe or something. So you could end with u+3-Lex probe, then call out MB orbital strike and you have this set-up.

I think my explanation in the OP might have been confusing so just to clarify, #1 is after u+3-armour dash cancel (u+3-MB orbital-armour dash cancel is unreliable) and #2 is naked MB orbital strike.

With #3, I would be happy even if I didn't know because as you said it's confusing to anyone :p. But, it's the consistency that worries me. j+2 almost never hits from the cross-up side unless you find specific timing and I don't know where to start looking for that. That's why I urge anyone to look at this set-up because it gives you some tricky options mid-screen as well.

As for #4, it could be my shitty testing but I don't know how to test poke interruptions so that's why I cannot tell. It was gimmicky as I pointed out because I feel it can definitely be interrupted but it's one of those things you could throw out to catch the opponent by surprise. If it does work, you've got a nice overhead/low situation that's tough to guard against.

Hope my explanations have helped and thank you for your post.

NKZero

Noob
Nice stuff, I have some new things I found and I'll be making a video in a little bit with that and a bunch of recently found stuff as well. Unless you want to record these. Of course I'll give credit though to whoever found them.

I'm trying to work on j1/j2 crossup setups with CC as well. I think j1 will sometimes hit in front where j2 would hit them behind.
I can't record anything so you can go ahead if you wish to make a video or something.

Hopefully you've understood what I've posted lol and I don't care about credit so long as the info is out there. I was also working on j+1/j+2 off ending with 2, 2, d+1 (where d+1) whiffs but realised the opponent can tech roll :rolleyes:.

NKZero

Noob
What about the stance switch on the neutral j2? I play Grundy and Lex too and Grundys are usually based on which way hes facing.(Corpse walk tech) Maybe Lex is the same way being a big body character like Grundy?
I think it's because MB Walking Corpse has a ton of hit stun which allows Grundy do double dash and change stance in time. I'll see if we can get that off MB Orbital Strike but I'm not so sure it will work to give us an ambiguous jumping mix-up.

Thanks for the idea though.

#4 sounds like it can be absolutely nasty :)

Even if it can be poked out of (not sure about that yet), I really doubt it will. A gimmick like that is soooo obscure, and Lex additionally has soooo many gimmicks, it's impossible to keep track of how to counter each one, let alone recognize what is happening and apply it during a match.

you need to make a revolutionary discovery, like completely changing the corner game to end with u3 CC safe trait to be included on that list ;)
haha, that may be too steep a requirement, given that I was tagged and I haven't found anything other than useless glitches :p

But blackjames is absolutely DIRTY with Lex. Destroyed me online, and using his 11-tech, which works extremely well.

Also, more completely useless Lex tech courtesy of yours truly:

Level 2 lance blast gives a free corp charge at most distances :)

Galactic Geek

Losing is learning; winning is succeeding.
ImBlackJames, I haven't seen you since my days on MK - as we're both Lex maines, maybe we should practice online together some time! I could probably learn a lot from you. ;)

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
haha, that may be too steep a requirement, given that I was tagged and I haven't found anything other than useless glitches :p

But blackjames is absolutely DIRTY with Lex. Destroyed me online, and using his 11-tech, which works extremely well.

Also, more completely useless Lex tech courtesy of yours truly:

Level 2 lance blast gives a free corp charge at most distances :)
I love the Lex mirror, but I'm bad at it, I like getting pressured by a shielded Lex because I remember how I feel and apply it to my opponent so I have a better idea of what they're going to do and what they're thinking,

silly Lex tech: if getting zoned by single projectile lvl 3 shield MBf3 amour hit and dash forward, keep shield and 0% damage

So I tested the 21xxMine setup (#4 in the OP) and they can pretty much do anything to escape the mine. Jump, forward or backdash, normal attacks (although you're too far away for most strings to hit), and any advancing special will all come out before the mine is active. They can hit you out of the recovery animation but they can't prevent the mine from coming out. I think it's best to lay a close mine down in this situation because even though some advancing specials will blow through it if timed properly (corps charge and flashs lightning charge) it protects your face and you can use the time it buys to throw out a probe or armor up. You can also easily defend jump ins from this position. The regular and far mines don't give you much since they can act before you recover from laying down the mine. But like you said the regular mine could be useful for pushblock traps.

I couldn't find anything new with midscreen crossup setups. I like that 21xx4 > dash gives you a crossup J3, but I couldn't find anything that consistently made J2 crossup. It's whatever though because the trait dash into neutral jump reverses wakeup inputs and a blocked J2 gives you a 50/50 when you land.

I tested out that stage bounce mine setup some more. If you throw out the mine and the F2 as fast as possible, it really is almost unblockable. When I first tried it out I thought it was basically a reverse version of earth shaker, but if you do everything right it's way harder. With the AI on record I was only able to block it maybe 2/10 times.
If you do a quick J3 while they're blocking the mine it does crossup but the timing and the height makes it impossible to combo off of it with anything but a corps charge (19%). Instant J2 doesn't work unfortunately.

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
some Lex map tech, Fortress of Solitude,
b13/f2xxMBvacuum b3 ji3 f2 interactble laser, dd3b
only done in right corner, anyway once they are spat out and you place the mine you have enough time to probe and shield up before wake up.
As well another advantage of Fortress of Solitude is the ship, my combo using the ship is
interactable ship, ji3 d1xxbackground bounce b3 MBvacuum ji2 21 standard mine,
I then try and bait an attack to push block onto mine or I can do instant air 3or d3 to hit them into it

Edit: forget the ship combo, I use this and it's much better
Ship ji2 f2xxMBvacuum b3 ji2 b2 background bounce dd3b
into reset: hits mine (or blocks) f2xxMBvacuum b3 ji3 u3 probe
83% with probe setup afterwards (78% on mine block)

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
So I've started using the new Lex tech with the background bounce mine and thought well theres got to be more background bounce tech out there so I decided to do a bit of testing. All background bounces were performed on fortress of Solitude different maps may vary.
Designated combo: f2xxMBvacuum b3 ji2 b2
So I started out thinking that the BB into mine f2 reset could be blown up by safe wake ups destroying the the mine and full comboing you, since you either commit to the f2 or you wait to block the wake up
i.e: comboxxBB close mine commit f2 Supermans low scoop just invincible WU all of that and full combo punished you

So I decided to think up a new way
Combo xxBB MB OS
Now after testing this a fair amount You will get a full combo off this MB OS dash in f2xxMBvacuum whatever But it only works if they're blocking, so I ran some WU tests and after trying a few different chars I've come to this
MB OS can be blown up by WU up to 16 frames if they are invincible, the beauty of it is though since it's 3 rockets you won't be full combo punished as the last rocket will almost always hit, if they aren't invincible the rocket will plow right through them
WU moves such as Flash's uppercut will blow you up though

A normal OS, no MB is completely safe, except against Supermans special, it can block Flash's uppercut though. So if the OS does hit you can trait up and dash away or do whatever really

Next is the Lance blast, you have to wait a bit before charging and it does not go through WU so use this with shields up, only mentioning this cause of the patch

Lex probe. ComboxxBB b2 Lex probe, this will set you up beautifully, lots of time to block and the probe is timed right for you to have amazing control right away

This is all of my testing do what you want with it, I personally like the normal OS and Lex probe ones

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I found something i think is new:

Midscreen Corps Charge Cross-up:

22, MB vacuum - B3 - j2 - u3, corps chrage

Depending on the height on wich the j2 hits, you'll end up either in front of them or behind them, but it can be very ambiguous as you can hit the j2 high but delay the up 3 to prevent the cross up. If you have trait up it could be huge as you can safely go into your 50/50 with B1/F2.