What's new

Lex Luthor Push guard trap, mine set up

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Found this out the last couple weeks playing the demo, Haven't seen it around [Nor Lex for that matter]

This technique costs a bar, guarantees opponent gets hit by Gravity mine, [Most likely other characters like Black Adam and Cyborg can do this also e.g BA's trap mine and Cyborgs Down Down 3]

If you're close to your mine and opponent has punched in their chain combo, pushblock or Advanced guard as some call it, they'll be pushed into the mine with [Almost] no way to escape

Theres a variety of ways to set up the mine safely, all you need then is a hasty opponent, high damage Combo potential in the corner.
This technique forces your opponent to think very carefully

Heres the video

UPDATE******

lol this is the happiest video ever

One of my favorite :)

great stuff

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
The YOLO end with wtf scrub was hilarious. Gave me a good laugh

Dapman

Currently playing as Lex Luthor.
Thanks for these videos on useful mine placement. I appreciate the effort as this will help my Lex game out tremendously.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I had this in theory during the demo days, hope to see people use it, might also work for black Adam if timed right

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Thead
For: Starter combo, Gravity Pull MB, B3, Ji2, B13~Close Mine.

Why don't you do 22 close mine instead? It does same amount of damage, puts them on a close mine, and I find it much easier to do.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
If you get a point blank mine you should never immediately do a b3, but cross up and do a 3 when you are directly above them and you can easily land a d1 grav pull mb. This also reverses direction to help put them back in the corner.

Thead

Noob
Thead
For: Starter combo, Gravity Pull MB, B3, Ji2, B13~Close Mine.

Why don't you do 22 close mine instead? It does same amount of damage, puts them on a close mine, and I find it much easier to do.
For pure swag.

Lol nah, I just found the timing on it easy, although your method is even easier! I think I've trumped both options tho:

Starter combo, Gravity Pull MB, Ji3, B2~Close Mine - Does an extra % damage and retains all the other perks.

The inherent weakness of Mines as an ender is they can be all be escaped with either Techroll, Techroll Backdash, or simply Blocked Low.

The free trait you get by ending your combos with a Corpse Charge is looking as the most efficient combo ender to me, as you get the most damage and some pressure with your armour active.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
For pure swag.

Lol nah, I just found the timing on it easy, although your method is even easier! I think I've trumped both options tho:

Starter combo, Gravity Pull MB, Ji3, B2~Close Mine - Does an extra % damage and retains all the other perks.

The inherent weakness of Mines as an ender is they can be all be escaped with either Techroll, Techroll Backdash, or simply Blocked Low.

The free trait you get by ending your combos with a Corpse Charge is looking as the most efficient combo ender to me, as you get the most damage and some pressure with your armour active.
I'm not liking corpse charge vs anyone with fast projectiles. Super man drives me crazy and I rather just keep the pressure. But it's all really situational, just like the mine placement. If you see them techroll can't you put up an orb to get in? Then again can't you charge, orb, pressure haha...

Best thing is to know all of lex's possibilities and keep it a guessing game.

Thead

Noob
I'm not liking corpse charge vs anyone with fast projectiles. Super man drives me crazy and I rather just keep the pressure. But it's all really situational, just like the mine placement. If you see them techroll can't you put up an orb to get in? Then again can't you charge, orb, pressure haha...

Best thing is to know all of lex's possibilities and keep it a guessing game.

What don't you like about ending in the Corp Charge? I've found so far, I get a free Level 1 Trait (forward dash cancelled) which leaves me in front of the opponent, their wakeup moves are mostly punishable if they hit your armour, and it also gives you the advantage in battles for control of interactables.

I need to find more techniques for the Orb and its setups, it looks good, as on block you get a free Orbital Strike, but I've found its often in the opponents favour to trade a projectile while getting zapped with the Orb, so as you're knocked out of Orbital Strike. There are probably good setups with it tho.

UsedForGlue was managing to backdash the Orb zap AND the Orbital Strike with Batman pretty consistently, so I'm guessing it may have better uses in up close pressure.

Let us find more tech!

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
What don't you like about ending in the Corp Charge? I've found so far, I get a free Level 1 Trait (forward dash cancelled) which leaves me in front of the opponent, their wakeup moves are mostly punishable if they hit your armour, and it also gives you the advantage in battles for control of interactables.

I need to find more techniques for the Orb and its setups, it looks good, as on block you get a free Orbital Strike, but I've found its often in the opponents favour to trade a projectile while getting zapped with the Orb, so as you're knocked out of Orbital Strike. There are probably good setups with it tho.

UsedForGlue was managing to backdash the Orb zap AND the Orbital Strike with Batman pretty consistently, so I'm guessing it may have better uses in up close pressure.

Let us find more tech!
I don't like charge because it puts them full screen and I have to work my way in, but I've never tried to trait cancel before, so I will try that out. For some reason I like to keep people close/pressure since Lex's d1 50/50 pressure is sick. Wouldn't you be able to end in U3 orb dash in and they will be blocking so you get a free grab? Haven't tested, just saying because when you U3 orb the orb is out very early.

Thead

Noob
I don't like charge because it puts them full screen and I have to work my way in, but I've never tried to trait cancel before, so I will try that out. For some reason I like to keep people close/pressure since Lex's d1 50/50 pressure is sick. Wouldn't you be able to end in U3 orb dash in and they will be blocking so you get a free grab? Haven't tested, just saying because when you U3 orb the orb is out very early.
Try B13 Grav Pull MB, B3, Ji3, 21 Corpse Charge as an example of Corpse Charge into Trait dash cancel. The Trait straight into forward dash is very good, and Corpse Charge by itself is such a good whiff punisher anyway, allowing you to trait up and dash in whenever you land one.

I agree with you 100% about keeping people close, it's what I try to do to, Lex as a zoner isn't very good. There are some match ups you want your opponent away from you tho, Flash as an example.

Good idea about dashing in and throwing after ending a combo in U3~Orb, just remember you can't throw someone who is in blockstun, so time it right. Of course there's so many variables with this, as with most of his setups, what wakeups do they have access too? Did they Techroll? Etc.

Nutrient your pushblock onto Mine method has been extremely valuable to me, I've caught people enough times now to make them scared to even pressure me once I get a Mine out. Great stuff again

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I think u3 gives you the most cancel advantage but I could be wrong. It feels like does anyway. Is there a way to figure out the cancel advantage on hit and block with the data nrs has given us?

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
My favourite mine setup is :
starter-grav pullMB-ji2-22-close mine... then the oponent can
-1)rollback,the only safe option
-2)wake up attack:as it has invencibility frames he can escape but is what I expect first so he will be punished...if he don't throw any wake up shit,he can
-3)touch buttons:he eat the mine ad get a combo of choice:my option is 2,2 gravpullMB-ji2-2,1-corp charge for 41% I think
-4)try to throw: he also eat the mine and the combo
-5)block high:eat the mine and the combo
-6)block low: is what I expect if he doesn't do a wake up attack so you only have to do F2(overhead) and the following grav pull MB -combo.......