What's new

Strategy Lex Luthor Corner Lex Probe Mix-Ups

NKZero

Noob
After extensive studying of the orbital strike MB resets and his general corner game, I started experimenting with the lex probe set-ups (the orb).

First of all, it's useful to note that by doing the same 1, 1--1, 1--u+3 set-up as you would for orbital strike, if you end it with lex probe instead, the set-up is much safer so chances are you will be able to block even more wake-up attacks (and potentially punish).

I'll use an example combo to demonstrate the mix-ups with lex probe.

b+1, 3--MB gravity pull--f+3--j+2--1, 1--1, 1--u+3--lex probe. Now you can choose whether to cross-up j+2 (by jumping forward) or neutral jumping j+2. With the opponent concentrating on blocking the orb, he has to guess which side you will jump to.

Even if he guesses right from there, you still have enough frame advantage to go for a 50/50 mix-up, throw etc. So if the opponent stays blocking after the lex probe set-up, he has two mix-ups to defend against: the cross-up vs fake cross-up and the 50/50 mix-up between b+1, 3 and f+2.

The reason this is a useful mix-up is because as mentioned above, the set-up is much safer. It will also bait many wake-ups if people are expecting to counter MB orbital strike after u+3. This means that if the wake-up is baited and is unsafe you get a big punish into more potential corner traps and set-ups.

If anyone wants further elaboration or just wants to discuss and comment on this please feel free to do so. I think this sort of thing will really elevate the status of Lex's dangerous corner game.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I like ending with probe occasionally, but it's still partially a guessing game on your part. A lot of people are still scared to react when there's a probe up even though it only does 2% but that might change with more MU experience by them. If they see you neutral jump, for example, and do a wakeup attack that connects in the air it's most likely going to trade in their favor. On the plus side, if you block it can often make safe wakeups unsafe. But I'm still scared to just go for something here more often than blocking.

Also NKZero i don't know if you saw, but I found that ending in d2~close mine in the corner sometimes works if you're pushed back enough during your combo. Maybe with all this corner tech you could find a way to guarantee that the mine doesn't disappear. I don't know if it has to do with the timing of certain parts of your juggle or what but all I've found is like a 60/40 chance that the mine will work in my corner bnb (like 22d1, b2, 11, 11, u3~mb vacuum, d2~close mine)

NKZero

Noob
I like ending with probe occasionally, but it's still partially a guessing game on your part. A lot of people are still scared to react when there's a probe up even though it only does 2% but that might change with more MU experience by them. If they see you neutral jump, for example, and do a wakeup attack that connects in the air it's most likely going to trade in their favor. On the plus side, if you block it can often make safe wakeups unsafe. But I'm still scared to just go for something here more often than blocking.

Also NKZero i don't know if you saw, but I found that ending in d2~close mine in the corner sometimes works if you're pushed back enough during your combo. Maybe with all this corner tech you could find a way to guarantee that the mine doesn't disappear. I don't know if it has to do with the timing of certain parts of your juggle or what but all I've found is like a 60/40 chance that the mine will work in my corner bnb (like 22d1, b2, 11, 11, u3~mb vacuum, d2~close mine)
I'll look into the mine stuff...I like your idea :).

As for the probe, it's +20 on block. You can wait for a wake-up. No wake-up? Then initiate your mix-up as they block the probe because you have frame advantage. It's not something you have to commit to and is safer (i.e. gives you more time to block) than the MB orbital strike. Of course they can still armour b+3/f+3 or whatever but yeah.

Also as you mentioned, fear is a big thing. People panic when they see Lex throwing something out. Until they learn to deal with it (which is tricky in itself), we get free set-ups and mix-ups for days :p.

Scorp-Zero

Salty Shazam
I find that the best is MB probe into fully charged trait, there so scared of the probe they'll just block and you get a free set up especially if there full screen

NKZero

Noob
I find that the best is MB probe into fully charged trait, there so scared of the probe they'll just block and you get a free set up especially if there full screen
i don't think the armour is all that useful if you are full screen tbh. You want to find a way to set-it up SAFELY in their face so even if they attack you, you absorb the hit and punish. But with your idea, one could potentially do u+3--probe and then while they block probe you can armour up. Lex has too many options off moves with great block stun like probes and mines.

A lot of exploration to do!

Scorp-Zero

Salty Shazam
But with your idea, one could potentially do u+3--probe and then while they block probe you can armour up. Lex has too many options off moves with great block stun like probes and mines.

yeah that's what I meant, by far his best combo ender is U+3

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I was thinking about this today. I feel that the corner is better spent either going for a MB Orbital Strike, or just take the hard knock down and into his corner vortex. Why not do more damage for a more effective set-up? I feel the hard knock down better sets up his vortex than the orbs do.

NKZero

Noob
I was thinking about this today. I feel that the corner is better spent either going for a MB Orbital Strike, or just take the hard knock down and into his corner vortex. Why not do more damage for a more effective set-up? I feel the hard knock down better sets up his vortex than the orbs do.
what's his corner vortex? :eek:

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Corps charge in the corner = hard knock down, and you are at ridiculous advantage because you don't need to dash in for oki game. Then it's 50/50 time. Each 50/50 ends with corps charge setting it all back up again. The only read is whether they wake up or not. With meter the combos are 35% for low starter and 39% for overhead (both with meter). The damage is just much less with out meter but still the same scenario.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
A probe sets it up safely though, with only a couple potential exceptions. Even if they block it gives you enough advantage for the 50/50

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
A probe sets it up safely though, with only a couple potential exceptions. Even if they block it gives you enough advantage for the 50/50
But with the corps charge you get more damage and are at ridiculous advantage anyway. No need to drop the damage for the probe and possibly getting hit out of the recovery frames from a wake-up.

Benzo

Vic Stone
This is a little off topic but I wanted to let you all know something. You know how if you throw someone into a gravity mine it knocks Lex down as well? Check this out. From the little bit of testing i figured this out.
Throw your opponent into a mine, then tech the knockdown and get free corps charge. It's FREE! Also you get a free Super as well. I just figured I mention this just in case it hasn't already been mentioned. I think this may open up some damage for Lex...maybe maybe not.:cool:

Benzo

Vic Stone
Well I'll be damn. Seems like after the tech off the mine you can get 1,1, MB Gravity pull. Damn we may be on to something. I would like for others to test it and see what they think as well. But remember you have to go for 1,1 immediately after the tech. Shit this could be nice.

whedgehead

My Lex Takes You to Paradise
This is a little off topic but I wanted to let you all know something. You know how if you throw someone into a gravity mine it knocks Lex down as well? Check this out. From the little bit of testing i figured this out.
Throw your opponent into a mine, then tech the knockdown and get free corps charge. It's FREE! Also you get a free Super as well. I just figured I mention this just in case it hasn't already been mentioned. I think this may open up some damage for Lex...maybe maybe not.:cool:

Seems pretty situational but could be a good way to get to some damage. Very nice find

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization

i dunno if it has been mentioned but i have witnessed this. the throw into mine setup is kinda common, but as you say most of the time i do not have the advantage to follow up. but i have followed up in some cases. i didn't understand but im glad you have enlightened me, i should have seen this myself to be honest. i wondered why i could do it sometimes and not others, and now it is obvious.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization

i dunno if this is common knowledge or if it is even 100% true, alas here is some observations i made last night

i took this to training, i searched the lex forums for throw setups but it turned no results. sorry if this info has been posted already but i cant find it anywhere. but throw into mine, tech roll into d1 > Grav Vac MB is a true full combo. if lex throws a mine behind the opponent, lex can forward throw onto the mine, tech roll, d1 combo. if the mine is behind lex you can reverse throw for the same set up. with no effort at all lex can scoop up 35% from this follow up easily. it can be strategic as well, the opponent should always be wary of corp charge when facing lex, if you knock the opponent down and throw the mine behind them, they are reluctant to step back because the mine, or forward due to corp charge [or other offense] - the enemy may wake up attack but if you bait that you have full combo. so with the enemy deciding what to do about the mine right behind them, and worried to attack because of 6f corp charge, and worried to wake up because bait and punish, i feel lex has many options here and among them is throw into mine while the enemy is caught up worried about the trap.

Benzo

Vic Stone
i dunno if this is common knowledge or if it is even 100% true, alas here is some observations i made last night

i took this to training, i searched the lex forums for throw setups but it turned no results. sorry if this info has been posted already but i cant find it anywhere. but throw into mine, tech roll into d1 > Grav Vac MB is a true full combo. if lex throws a mine behind the opponent, lex can forward throw onto the mine, tech roll, d1 combo. if the mine is behind lex you can reverse throw for the same set up. with no effort at all lex can scoop up 35% from this follow up easily. it can be strategic as well, the opponent should always be wary of corp charge when facing lex, if you knock the opponent down and throw the mine behind them, they are reluctant to step back because the mine, or forward due to corp charge [or other offense] - the enemy may wake up attack but if you bait that you have full combo. so with the enemy deciding what to do about the mine right behind them, and worried to attack because of 6f corp charge, and worried to wake up because bait and punish, i feel lex has many options here and among them is throw into mine while the enemy is caught up worried about the trap.
I like this. I'm going to dabble more into this. Thanks.

I have a throw set up now but never realized i could get a 11 Gravity MB from it if i teched it.

My staple combo is b13, Gravity mb, b3, j2, 22, mid mine.

This leaves them in an odd position. The best thing they can do is tech and block low. Ends the set up. But if they wake up i can block and throw. Or even sometimes stuff their wake up with a CC (in which case they land on the mine for a b3 relaunch.)

Sent from my Gameboy Color using Tapatalk 2