What's new

Guide Lex Luthor Combo Thread

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
REPAIRS IN PROGRESSrev0lver

Ji2, 22 [ender] is listed as more damage optimal than ji3, 22 [ender] since the latter is unsafe ending with a probe against certain other characters, where as the former is universally safe if you wish to end with probe.

F2 starter:

Max damage combos:

40%: f2 xx MB Grav Pull, ji3, f2 xx Corp Charge
41%: f2 xx MB Grav Pull, ji3, f2 xx Grav Pull

Setup combos:
* = optimal BnB (different optimal combos leave the enemy at different distances)

*32%: f2 xx MB Grav Pull, ji2, 22 [ender]
*33%: f2 xx MB Grav Pull, ji3, b2 [ender]
*36%: f2 xx MB Grav Pull, ji3, u3 [ender]
*32%: f2 xx MB Grav Pull, ji3, 11 [ender]
34%: f2 xx MB Grav Pull, ji3, 22 [ender]
30%: f2 xx MB Grav Pull, ji2, b2 [ender]
30%: f2 xx MB Grav Pull, ji2, 11 [ender]
33%: f2 xx MB Grav Pull, ji2, u3 [ender]

B13 starter:

Max damage combos:

36%: b13 xx MB Grav Pull, ji3, f2 xx Corp Charge
37%: b13 xx MB Grav Pull, ji3, f2 xx Grav Pull

Setup combos:
* = optimal BnB (different optimal combos leave the enemy at different distances)

*28%: b13 xx MB Grav Pull, ji3, 11 [ender]
*28%: b13 xx MB Grav Pull, ji2, 22 [ender]
*29%: b13 xx MB Grav Pull, ji3, b2 [ender]
*32%: b13 xx MB Grav Pull, ji3, u3 [ender]
26%: b13 xx MB Grav Pull, ji2, b2 [ender]
26%: b13 xx MB Grav Pull, ji2, 11 [ender]
29%: b13 xx MB Grav Pull, ji2, u3 [ender]
30%: b13 xx MB Grav Pull, ji3, 22 [ender]

Corner combos (Corp Charge ender):

28% 22d1, d+1, 11, u3 xx Corp Charge
30% f2, d+1, 11, 11, u3 xx Corp Charge
35% b13 xx MB Grav Pull, f3, b2, 11, 11, u3 xx Corp Charge

LtLuthor said:
What we still need:

* 113-starter BnB combos
* Corner combos for better damage when ending with probe/shields-vortex or orbital strike (I only wrote the most execution-reliable u3 xx Corp Charge combos I could find)
* Corner combos you can land off a MB orbital strike.
* Mine combos that assume you put the enemy in with either a b13 or f2 - that should be enough.

Niloc

Noob
F3,grav pull MB, b3, ji2, 22, close mine ---31%
F3,grav pull MB, b3, ji3, 21, medium mine ----34%
F3,grav pull MB, b3, ji3, U3, far mine/probe ---35%
F3,grav pull MB, b3, ji3,f2, corps charge ----39%
F3,grav pull MB, b3, ji3,f2, grav pull ---40%

these combos arent working for me the b3 doesn't cause a wall bounce

thx for this post btw. also do you have a meterless combo by any chance?

Here's a nice mixup I've been playing with that's divisible into segments:

Starters:
f2...
b2...
b13...
ji2, 22...
ji3, d1...
ji3, 11...

Extender:
...db2+mb, b3, ji3...

Enders:
(1)
...u3 xx dd3f
...u3 xx df3
(2)
...u3 xx dd3
...u3 xx db3
(3)
...u3 xx trait xx forward dash
...u3 xx bf2
...u3 xx *slight delay* bf2

Now this combo, in principle, seems pretty basic. But the application is very nuanced. I'll leave people to figure out which opener to use at what time. The important part is the ender. The enders, which I've divided by number, do the following:

(1) Lays down a threat at your opponent's point of impact, which is full-screen. He then has to choose: if you did the orbital laser, he MUST use a forward-moving wakeup or else be trapped by the mine or hit by the laser. This gives you the ability to reliably predict his forward movement and respond accordingly. Good against all opponents. Extra-good against zoners.

(2) Puts down a mid-range threat. Your opponent is safe to get up defensively, but he can neither advance nor (if you used the mine) safely attack. He has to wake up in defensive posture, giving you a chance to do something. Don't use this against zoners. Definitely use it against rushers.

(3) Gives you the offensive advantage. The first (3) option puts you right in your opponent's face with armor. The second whiffs the Corps Charge but puts you right in your opponent's face, forcing him to guess a high/low mixup, throw, or block. The third option hits the Corps Charge, dealing an untechable knockdown and giving you initiative. Good against zoners and counter-zoners. The first (armor) option is POTENTIALLY good against rushers, but dangerous if not used cautiously. Don't use the other options against rushers.

Side note: Neutral jump+3 is the most reliable round opener I've found for taking early advantage. There's very little your opponent can hit you with, so he pretty much has to open the round blocking.

Thead

Noob
shoshinsha Opponents can Techroll, and also wake up with Backdash (invincibility). They can also techroll into backdash. This avoids everything, including ending with U3~Orbital Strike.

If they backroll and/or backdash in the corner (which is the setup in (1)), then you get significant initiative and a potential hit off your dd3f. You can also meter burn your orbital strike. This isn't meant to be bulletproof. That would be broken. It's part of a guessing game. If you're facing a defensive opponent or character (e.g., Deathstroke), you bet on one tactic. If you're facing an offensive opponent or character (e.g., Nightwing), you bet on another. If you're looking for something universally inescapable, you're looking for something that will be nerfed in a coming patch.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
F3,grav pull MB, b3, ji2, 22, close mine ---31%
F2,grav pull MB, b3, ji3, 21, medium mine ----34%
F2,grav pull MB, b3, ji3, U3, far mine/probe ---35%
F2,grav pull MB, b3, ji3,f2, corps charge ----39%
F2,grav pull MB, b3, ji3,f2, grav pull ---40%

these combos arent working for me the b3 doesn't cause a wall bounce

thx for this post btw. also do you have a meterless combo by any chance?
fixed. sorry about that. I was really sleepy when I posted this.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
If they backroll and/or backdash in the corner (which is the setup in (1)), then you get significant initiative and a potential hit off your dd3f. You can also meter burn your orbital strike. This isn't meant to be bulletproof. That would be broken. It's part of a guessing game. If you're facing a defensive opponent or character (e.g., Deathstroke), you bet on one tactic. If you're facing an offensive opponent or character (e.g., Nightwing), you bet on another. If you're looking for something universally inescapable, you're looking for something that will be nerfed in a coming patch.
This is why I only posted combos with the mines landing on the person because with Lex everything is situational and has so many factors as you feel out who you're fighting against.

I made this thread because I wanted to be able to look at one spot to know what combos give me the best potential in a fight under different circumstances. Like if I had someone back dashing, but I wanted the most damage leaving them close I could do x. I tested a lot and I THINK so far these are the highest for the situations listed.

Niloc

Noob
No problem, figured it was something simple haha. thx again for this post really appreciate it. anyone have a meterless bnb that ends in u+3 probes or a mine setup?

Thead

Noob
I didn't mean to come off as arrogant or disregard what you said, because there's good info in there. I just posted that quickly so anyone reading realised they DID have other options from here:
(1) Lays down a threat at your opponent's point of impact, which is full-screen. He then has to choose: if you did the orbital laser, he MUST use a forward-moving wakeup or else be trapped by the mine or hit by the laser. This gives you the ability to reliably predict his forward movement and respond accordingly. Good against all opponents. Extra-good against zoners.
BDMao88

Combo from B3/F3 (armour-able launcher):

B3, Ji3, 21~Gravity Pull MB, B2 - 30% - Leaves opponent staggered and standing in front of you, gives a free B13/B2/Throw mixup
F3, Ji2, F2~Gravity Pull MB, B2 - 28% - Same options as above combo

If you don't want to spend meter, all enders/setups that work after B3 in Lexs BnBs still apply.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Niloc as I know of right now anything meterless is just a normal string with a special ending it because he needs the grav pull MB. Lex builds a ton of meter.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
I find it strange that 112, grav pull MB, b3, ji3, 21, corps charge does the same damage if you end it with f2, corps charge when every other combo it should do 1% more.

volkmair

Noob
Thanks a lot for the combos. though it took me a while to get the timing right for them as it seems to be a bit faster than other games. With the j3 and the follow ups should you jump as soon as possible or does the timing depend the combo as I was often finding the follow up after it to only hit some of the time.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Thanks a lot for the combos. though it took me a while to get the timing right for them as it seems to be a bit faster than other games. With the j3 and the follow ups should you jump as soon as possible or does the timing depend the combo as I was often finding the follow up after it to only hit some of the time.
Jump in ASAP and when your opponents body is about to give you a chest bump press 3, and as soon as you touch the ground do F2/22/21/u3.... charge/grav very fast

Practice it by just doing b3, ji3, ender.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
FiNAL-LiFe-G It's a cool combo, but I wouldn't really call it viable. There is no way you can get a mine off point blank range and then follow up with a jump in. Not only that but the mine has to be far to pull off the combo.

How much does the combo do starting an opponent on a mine?

Thead

Noob
Ji3, D1~Gravity Pull MB, B3, Ji3, 21~Corpse Charge - 41%

Can't believe we've left out Ji3 combos.

BDMao88 maybe when you get some time, you could re-arrange the original post to say each combo starter, whether its High, Low, Mid or Overhead and it's frame data for the first hit. Then similarly do the same for each Ender and its setups, as the Enders are pretty much identical for each combo. Then we could use Toggle Spoilers for each combo possibility showing the total damage?

Might make the thread a lot easier on the eye for people who don't know Lex. Also the mixup after D1 hits is B31/B2/F2 (instead of F3 which is just a typo atm)

I need corner combos! I haven't delved into these at all!

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
great work everyone. please clearly explain the 50/50 mu on d1? i dont follow. thanks.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
great work everyone. please clearly explain the 50/50 mu on d1? i dont follow. thanks.
If you land a d1 it's +11 frames which gives you time to do either a b13 which is 14 frames normally, but by landing a d1 which is very confirm-able, it now becomes 3 frames aka guaranteed. The over head F2 is 15 frames so landing a d1 = 4 frame overhead which causes your opponent have to guess if you're going to do a low or a overhead, if they guess wrong it's a full combo, no matter what they must block and hope to guess right.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Thead yeah I can do that tonight or sometime tomorrow. You really don't like ending in F2 special haha, I tweaked your other combos earlier to get a few more percent out of it.

Grav pull causes a hard knockdown right? It does more than corpse charge by 1% and it builds meter better. 6 grav pulls for 1 bar and 7 charges for a bar.

Absolutely fantastic work @BDMao! The organization of this thread is great, and the combos are all of the most damaging and easy to perform variants. I've never felt so useless on a Lex board before...haha. If anyone would like to see any of these performed I'll gladly make a quick video, but that is about the best I can offer. Great work to everyone that contributed!

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
What´s your best combo/setup after a succesfull mine? and after a probe?

Thanks...
Well it's all there in the first post....

After a mine:
Ji3, d1, grav pull MB, b3, ji2, f2, corps charge ---44%

Probe is situational...if they get hit and you're in their face you can do:
F2,grav pull MB, b3, ji3,f2, grav pull ------------40%