What's new

Guide Lex Luthor Combo Thread

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
Agreed, that's why grundys walking corpse MB is one of the best oki setups in the game. It's predicated on the fact that a wakeup attack is the only way out of a meaty trait grab.
I always just backdash away from that, since usually a good Grundy is setting up his anti wake up game they dont anticipate the simple backdash lol also what in the world is oki, these acronyms are everywhere on TYM and I've been confused for so long

I always just backdash away from that, since usually a good Grundy is setting up his anti wake up game they dont anticipate the simple backdash lol also what in the world is oki, these acronyms are everywhere on TYM and I've been confused for so long
That's why I usually do F13 it catches jumps and backdashes and then combo into trait.

It's not an acronym it's short for "okizeme" which is a Japanese term referring to taking advantage of an opponent recovering from a knockdown. It originated in the street fighter 2 days.

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
That's why I usually do F13 it catches jumps and backdashes and then combo into trait.

It's not an acronym it's short for "okizeme" which is a Japanese term referring to taking advantage of an opponent recovering from a knockdown. It originated in the street fighter 2 days.
no wonder I couldn't I couldn't put together one logical sentence with it :/ and yes I've my fair share of F13 after WC followed by a sigh and "well fuck me."

Galactic Geek

Losing is learning; winning is succeeding.
no wonder I couldn't I couldn't put together one logical sentence with it :/ and yes I've my fair share of F13 after WC followed by a sigh and "well fuck me."
Grundy's my 2nd main (tied with Lex). I love to open with his Walking Corpse - in most cases, dashing backwards isn't enough against it (at least in the opening move). Then again, this is the wrong forum to be talking about Grundy. ;)

Pretty much. With trait up its a lock against most of the cast. It's pretty solid even without trait though since you're not really shortening the combo it actually adds damage to the basic midscreen combo into mine anyway, it ensures that they land on top of the mine without having to make a read on whether they will roll because they can't roll, and there's only one way out of it.
Just pulled this bitch off in an online match! T'was glorious. Helped me beat a solid aquaman

Galactic Geek

i did too! but it was bane so he WU through the mine my attack and my shield... :/
I have a friend who is monstrously good with Bane. It drives me nuts that Bane, when he's pumped with Venom, gets: extra speed, a massive damage boost, armor, and with the upcoming patch - less damage taken too! Personally I think he's broken, because there is absolutely nothing I can do to counter my friend's Bane while using Lex or most other characters.

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
I have a friend who is monstrously good with Bane. It drives me nuts that Bane, when he's pumped with Venom, gets: extra speed, a massive damage boost, armor, and with the upcoming patch - less damage taken too! Personally I think he's broken, because there is absolutely nothing I can do to counter my friend's Bane while using Lex or most other characters.
He's not broken but he definately has advantage in thisMU I have a friend who mains Bane, and when at lvl 3 venom he ignores armor, it's ridiculous, but yea after tons of matches I have to say Bane dominates the match

masuhdunkillyall

Aht Aht Aht!
I've mained both Bane and Lex since day one. I've put far more time in with Bane, but I know enough about both to know that Bane does not win this matchup if the Lex player is playing it right.

Bane is one of Lex's most advantageous matchup. 7-3 Lex, though I guess one can make a solid argument it is 6-4. 5-5 would be pretty pessimistic, but definitely not Bane's advantage no matter what.

Lex can play keep-away with Bane as easily as any zoner, so there's zero reason you should be trying to touch Bane when he's on venom anyway. So reduced damage on venom wont change that much.

Build up meter as long as you can to keep him at a distance, so that when he's in your face with venom, pushblock.

Pushblock is great against Bane because not only does it get him off you, it causes him to waste precious time when he's on venom.

Try ending combos with u3 and a far mine, which will put him far away and a mine in front. That will give you time for a probe, which in turn will give you time for another special move- basically, you can build a crapload of meter once you get Bane at a distance.

Hopefully that helps you out with your friend :)

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
I've mained both Bane and Lex since day one. I've put far more time in with Bane, but I know enough about both to know that Bane does not win this matchup if the Lex player is playing it right.
no way he definately does, Lex gets stuck in the corner and once Bane gets to lvl3 with f2 cancels and armor breaking I get shut down completely, he completely gets shut down up close at any level of venom, and relying on Lex's zoning isn't always for sure

masuhdunkillyall

Aht Aht Aht!
no way he definately does, Lex gets stuck in the corner and once Bane gets to lvl3 with f2 cancels and armor breaking I get shut down completely, he completely gets shut down up close at any level of venom, and relying on Lex's zoning isn't always for sure
No. trait up on every corp. charge knockdown. pressure on banes wakeup because he cannot beat through your armor, unless he level 3 venoms, in which case retreat until its gone then move in and do major damage. Every combo you do should be ending in a setup; a mine, a probe, a trait charge cancel, ect. Jump back 3 is also your best friend. Liberal use of MB b.3 is also great, as most Banes will be in your face attempting double punch, body press, or a string that is too slow to eat through the armor. MB b.3 react to Banes charge as well for a full combo setup. Trust me, Lex wins.

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
No. trait up on every corp. charge knockdown. pressure on banes wakeup because he cannot beat through your armor, unless he level 3 venoms, in which case retreat until its gone then move in and do major damage. Every combo you do should be ending in a setup; a mine, a probe, a trait charge cancel, ect. Jump back 3 is also your best friend. Liberal use of MB b.3 is also great, as most Banes will be in your face attempting double punch, body press, or a string that is too slow to eat through the armor. MB b.3 react to Banes charge as well for a full combo setup. Trust me, Lex wins.
I'll take your word than if you use both, I guess I just need to understand Bane's moves more

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
The only time Bane has adv in that matchup is when he has lvl 3 venom. Otherwise lex can do what he wants sort of

Galactic Geek

My friend's Bane that I mentioned earlier charges at me like a religious fanatic always at lvl. 3 which defeats all of my traps (if I'm lucky enough to get them up in time), then he's up-close to start a combo. Even if I try to counter him, his armor protects him & gives him the opening he needs. Sure, I could wait until he's out of Venom, but he's smart enough to let it run out up-close & keep the pressure on me so I can't take advantage.

masuhdunkillyall

Aht Aht Aht!
Charge is -11 on block (I think, not certain as I cant check right now) and it puts a decent distance between the characters. If all he's doing is pumping to level 3 and yolo charging, he's going to lose. Back dash is your best friend after a blocked charge if he still has venom on. Also, jumping and doing air corps. charge to escape pressure works well against Bane, especially if he keeps charging. You have to remember that your entire goal isn't to zone...Lex is too slow for that. You need to either score a knockdown with j.3, corps. charge, or some other means and get your trait up, as well as know how to escape pressure so level 3 venom runs out. If he's staying in your grill with level 3 debuff on...well, you need to take advantage of every second of that.

Galactic Geek

Charge is -11 on block (I think, not certain as I cant check right now) and it puts a decent distance between the characters. If all he's doing is pumping to level 3 and yolo charging, he's going to lose. Back dash is your best friend after a blocked charge if he still has venom on. Also, jumping and doing air corps. charge to escape pressure works well against Bane, especially if he keeps charging. You have to remember that your entire goal isn't to zone...Lex is too slow for that. You need to either score a knockdown with j.3, corps. charge, or some other means and get your trait up, as well as know how to escape pressure so level 3 venom runs out. If he's staying in your grill with level 3 debuff on...well, you need to take advantage of every second of that.
Dually noted. It may take some practice though because although he charges a lot, he's very good at mixing things up too, so I don't know if he'll actually charge again or not. I particularly like your advice about neutral-jumping into a corp charge to get away. However, I'm concerned that while activating trait, he'll simply turn around & charge again knocking out my trait & being up-close all over again (although whether he'll have Venom or not will likely make a big difference).

masuhdunkillyall

Aht Aht Aht!
Dually noted. It may take some practice though because although he charges a lot, he's very good at mixing things up too, so I don't know if he'll actually charge again or not. I particularly like your advice about neutral-jumping into a corp charge to get away. However, I'm concerned that while activating trait, he'll simply turn around & charge again knocking out my trait & being up-close all over again (although whether he'll have Venom or not will likely make a big difference).
True, Bane players love to abuse armor...its our greatest strength. It is key then, to remember to check what level of venom he is on when you have trait up. If you trait up and he's on level 3, he's just going to double punch or charge right into you and break your armor. But, if he is on level 1 or 2, trait gives you the advantage. Also, having trait up and using a MB b.3 or f.3 is dirty because of the extra armor, don't forget to abuse that at the right time.

Galactic Geek

True, Bane players love to abuse armor...its our greatest strength. It is key then, to remember to check what level of venom he is on when you have trait up. If you trait up and he's on level 3, he's just going to double punch or charge right into you and break your armor. But, if he is on level 1 or 2, trait gives you the advantage. Also, having trait up and using a MB b.3 or f.3 is dirty because of the extra armor, don't forget to abuse that at the right time.
I practiced against an AI Bane late last night on hard difficulty (I can't beat anything on very hard difficulty) while playing Lex & it seemed so much easier than compared to my friend - the matchup was 9-1 in my favor. I guess it's the human element in this case that makes it incredibly hard.

I seem to have trouble canceling d1 into anything. Only thing I cancel into it well with is CC. Any tips? Is the window just that small?

Part of the problem is when you're holding down if you press 1 the game no longer registers the down input so if you press forward or back it only registers the forward or back. I've tried sliding to get the diagonal then forward or back since the game allows that as a shortcut but it's not working for me.

I seem to have trouble canceling d1 into anything. Only thing I cancel into it well with is CC. Any tips? Is the window just that small?

Part of the problem is when you're holding down if you press 1 the game no longer registers the down input so if you press forward or back it only registers the forward or back. I've tried sliding to get the diagonal then forward or back since the game allows that as a shortcut but it's not working for me.
I'm assuming you don't have release-check (negative edge) on? Because usually if you tried a d1-corp charge, if release check was on you'd very often get an upwards lance blast instead.

Otherwise, yes, you have to tap down an additional time after the d1 since the inital down only counted towards that first move..

If release-check is on, you may be able to hit 1,D,2,D,B really, really fast for a reliable d1-grav pull

What will happen is you press 2 before D,B but fast enough so release-check will register the release of 2 as D,B,2- because it knows you can't cancel a D1 into a 2, it's just not a valid string, but D,B,2 is, so it will read that. You also won't have the problem of the second D not registering because the game interprets it as the D for the initial poke because it is buffer-separated by the 2.

Galactic Geek

Good news: I'm getting a lot better at beating most Bane players! :D

I fought 1 of them earlier today 5x in a row using the new rematch feature & beat him 3x using Lex.

I'm assuming you don't have release-check (negative edge) on? Because usually if you tried a d1-corp charge, if release check was on you'd very often get an upwards lance blast instead.

Otherwise, yes, you have to tap down an additional time after the d1 since the inital down only counted towards that first move..

If release-check is on, you may be able to hit 1,D,2,D,B really, really fast for a reliable d1-grav pull

What will happen is you press 2 before D,B but fast enough so release-check will register the release of 2 as D,B,2- because it knows you can't cancel a D1 into a 2, it's just not a valid string, but D,B,2 is, so it will read that. You also won't have the problem of the second D not registering because the game interprets it as the D for the initial poke because it is buffer-separated by the 2.
Oh I never did adjust that. Thanks. Will have to see if it works for me.

Didn't work. Although I figured out a way that works. If I perform the d1 as a diagonal and then role in the opposite direction it comes out easier.