What's new

Tech Lex earthshaker setup

Glad it's useful, or potentially useful to folks.

I updated the original post with a video of me doing this properly by delaying the j2 slightly, to ensure it works on the entirety of the cast.

Also, I used shields in that video- which I mentioned to do in the post, but didn't show in the videos. I can't stress this enough: this setup gets sooo easily blown up by d1's if Lex doesn't have shields. Half the cast has d1-attacks that will lower their hitbox such that Lex's attacks will whiff, and he will be poked out of the 112 unless he has trait up.

So after some online matches, I noticed some people were able to backdash out of this if they tech rolled and did the backdash quickly enough- for characters with a fast backdash, I couldn't even catch them with a j3 before they could block.

I thought I had tested this way earlier (accounted for in the "ending combos with b2 thread"), but I went into practice mode and tried it myself, and a tech-roll with a backdash was indeed getting out of it.

It was before the patch that I specifically tested the backdash and it wasn't working then- it could be because I just sucked at the timing myself (you need to backdash immediately or you will be caught by the mine), but it might be that the patch added a delay in how long it takes for the mine to become active.

Either way, it's something to consider. It certainly isn't horrible if they tech roll and backdash, as you can read that for a free probe (it's actually not even a read, because whether they backdash or not, the probe is free. Only a risky quick-horizantal wakeup will change that)- and with a probe out and a mine in front of them, an MB orbital strike should be 100% guaranteed, because normally you have to forward-dash to dodge that, and you can't with a probe in front of you.

Also, the timing of events makes it so they have to decide whether to backdash or not before they can really assess whether Lex did a close/medium/far mine. They have to backdash immediately, before the mine becomes active, meaning they have very little time to react to where the mine actually is- if they are constantly backdashing out of this, you can mix it up with a far-mine to punish them for it.

T4T|Nevan

"Burn baby! Burn!"
Thanks for the input on this Lt! I'm glad that tech roll + backdash doesn't make the setup invalid because we have the option to mix it up with a far mine, like you said, to punish them.

Oh, have noticed if you use a mid/normal mine, if they wakeup with an advancing wakeup, e.g GA Stinger, if you pushblock they won't land, or either nullify, on the mine. For the pushblock to work you need to use a close mine after b2.

I consider this because I like to use ... into j2 b2 close/mid/far mine, without trait, to test how they react to the setup. Since I like to use my trait after I get a read on their tendencies.

Yeah, some wake-up attacks will push Lex back before he gets the chance to pushblock- so by the time you pushblock they aren't close enough to the mine to be pushed back into it.

Nightwing's staff spin seems to be doing this to me as well.

I'm pretty sure it works against another Lex's corp charge though, I somewhat remember it working when I did it in a Lex mirror.

I should probably go through and make a list of which wake-ups get out of it and which don't.

The fortunate thing is, must horizontal advancing special are unsafe, and I'm not sure if any of them are actually + on block. Just about all of them are negative- meaning you can use your 22[d1/b3] to go for a 50/50 into the mine afterwards; alot of times that is even preferable to a full combo punish with d1 xx mb grav pull. It makes it so you don't get a guaranteed punish, but if the 50/50 lands, the punishment is a meterless full combo.

I'm not able to punish staff-spin consistently online, so I would just block it and use the fact nightwing is at -6 to cash in a free 22[d1/b3]