What's new

Tech Lex earthshaker setup

This setup is inspired by Doomsday's earthshaker. The point is to put the enemy in a situation where they have to block high and then low EXTREMELY fast in order to successfully block the move.

This is actually even MORE difficult to block then Doomsday's earth-shaker, because the opponent actually needs to block LOW,HIGH,LOW in that order. If they begin by blocking high any earlier than they need to, they will walk backwards into the mine behind them.

THE SETUP:

First off, you need either one of two things in order to make this works as well as it can.
You need to have trait active, or at least one bar of meter in reserve. The setup itself takes only 1 bar of meter, and it leads to a full meterless combo off a mine if it works, so that's only one bars of meter for potentially 70 % damage (or two bars if you want to keep your pushblock option open and you don't have trait).

The combo for the setup is:

[Starter F2/b13/112] xx MB Gravity-Pull, B3, J2, B2 xx Gravity-Mine

*** After the initial B3, you should delay your jump-in to j2 as much as you can to ensure the setup hits the ENTIRE cast as intended ***

Assuming you have trait on, or a bar of meter in reserve, the enemy NEEDS to block. Trait means they can't hit you out of your string, and a bar of meter means if they try to hit you at all, you can push block the attack, and they will land in the mine (then dash forward and b3 for your meterless combo)

So there's a traited-up Lex in front of them, and a mine behind them. They need to block. The goal is to make it so they can't possibly block it, and here's how.

Follow up with a 112.

Here's the kicker- 11 is notorious for not being a "True mid" HOWEVER, if you do a 11 as soon as the enemy is getting up from the ground, EVEN if they are blocking low, IT WILL HIT MID. I tested this by recording Lex to do the setup, and I myself played Flash (flash has a small hitbox, so this proves that 11 can hit mid). In the video, as Flash I held DOWN and was still succesffully hit and put in block-stun by the 11. This is important, because it means you cannot be poked out of the 112 with a low attack as in most cases.

The 11 will therefore cause pushback like any other attack that is blocked would- the result is by the time the 2 of the 112 string hits, the enemy is right next to the mine, and it causes the earthshaker effect.

Proof is in the video below: please note that I have Lex as the AI doing the recorded combo, and I am playing Flash, and blocking low- holding down on my controller to prove that 11 works as a true-mid in this scenario:

*** In the video above, I am not delaying the j2 as I stated you should because this will work on Flash regardless, however you should ALWAYS delay it or else certain characters will not be pushed back enough to create the earthshaker setup. Try and jump at near the last possible moment to do the j2, b2. You don't need to risk it by waiting to long, but long enough to ensure it works on EVERYONE****

DEALING WITH A TECH-ROLL

Needless to say, if the enemy tech rolls, you don't get the "earthshaker" setup. Ideally, if the enemy knows about this setup, it is in their best interest to tech roll ALL THE FREAKING TIME, because if Lex does this when he is shielded up, the chances he's going to get full-combo'd again are pretty huge.

In the case of a tech roll, they are going to land directly on the mine, instead of in front of it.

Lex's gravity mine is listed as +20 on block, HOWEVER gravity mine does not actually become active and cause block-stun immediately. There is a delay by which Lex has already recovered, and THEN the gravity mine becomes active. The true frame advantage is more around +30-40. This is shown in the 113 xx mine setup by Doombawkz . Forcing an opponent to block a mine gives Lex HUGE advantage.

So if they roll, and land on the mine, you get a FREE jump-in to a 50/50. This jump in cannot be anti-aired by even the best AA's in the game. In the video testing it, I used Deathstroke, who has a 7 frame AA with awesome priority. I set the DS to auto-block, and then do a Sword-Flip reaction attack. This meant the AI would block the mine, and do a Sword Flip immediately after. As the video shows, Lex get's the jump-in before Sword Flip can come out.

Lastly, this next video shows that Lex can actually get a probe out if an enemy has to block a mine and be safe from most attacks on reaction. In this case, Lex gets the probe out and can block the reversal attack. In other cases Lex might get hit out of it, but should still get the probe out (I neglected to test against a quick-shot reversal).

Sorry for the text-wall, but I hope I've covered all the possible situations arising from this in a way that proves the effectiveness of this.

Notification for Lex Corp employees:

@Rev0lver
@GGA pimpimjim
@ShadowBeatz
@x5STAR
@whedgehead
@imblackjames
@uhfutzafooken
@Spacepopsicle

@anyone else I forgot.

Some additional details- I'd add them to the original post, but seeing as it's already of morbidly-obese length, I'll just put them here.

For 11 to work as a mid, the enemy must be blocking low as they get up. If they are ducking, but not blocking (attacking you with a bunch of d1's) this lowers their hitbox so 11 will whiff and you will be poked out of the 112 string- you can see this happening at the end of the first video. This is also character-dependent. Some characters will get hit by the 11 as a mid if they try to d1, but for Flash this is not the case. This is why I recommended you do this with shields, or have an extra bar of meter on hand so you can mix them up by sometimes opting to pushblock instead of going for the 112.

There IS a way to get out of the setup, but it is more risky for the opponent than it is for the Lex player. I went over how if the opponent tech rolls, they would have to block the mine before they can even try to react to Lex's jump-in, which will not work for them anyway. However, if they tech-roll and go straight into a wakeup, this will catch Lex as he jumps in. In this case, they really have to guess what Lex is going to do, since they need to do the inputs for the wake-up before they can assess whether or not Lex is going to jump in on them. So while they can get out of it, it is still a guess if they want to roll into a wakeup. As always, if Lex has shields, it won't matter in most cases though.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Theres some small problems.

1. wake-ups. My tech prevents them because of the distance that you can safely counter most of them, but yours is point-blank and I don't know if it'll work as well against some of the cast with multi-hitting wake-ups

2. Backdash. Have you tested it to make sure they can't get out in the small amount of inactive time?

With a bar of meter, wakeups can be either baited and push blocked into the mine.

With shields 11 should beat out multihit wakeups at point-blank range, but I'll test this with sword flip to be sure.

They would also have to input the wake-up before they can assess whether the Lex player is going to bait it for a push block into the mine or go for the 113, so its a guess on their part and the risk/reward is heavily in Lexs favor.

It cannot be backdashed out of. They need to block the mine and the jump in hits them immediately after, as shown by this beating out the sword flip with j2

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Come back with your findings. Looks like it needs a set-up, but honestly I can see this linking off my tech

Come back with your findings. Looks like it needs a set-up, but honestly I can see this linking off my tech
So, against a DS Sword Flip, a shielded Lex doing a 112 will win/lose half the time. The first hit of 112 will sometimes connect, and other times the first 1 will whiff under the Deathstroke opponent who is in the air.

Of course, seeing as it's impossible to tell which will win in that moment, it's definitely unwise of the Deathstroke player to take that bet.

The total from the entire setup would be 100% damage for just 2 bars of meter if the Deathstroke player goes for a wakeup that randomly trades, and then guesses wrong on the 50/50 reset into a third full combo.

I'll see if I can find out how the timing works exactly to make the trade land in Lex's favor more often, but honestly, the Deathstroke player is risking an entire lifebar for a 6% damage wake-up attack- I don't see why they'd bother.

zuurrkk

World's worst GL
Yeah I think every string that are "mids" but not "true mids" will hit the opponent while they're in their wakeup frames. When they get up they're considered standing for like 4 frames or something like that

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
So, against a DS Sword Flip, a shielded Lex doing a 112 will win/lose half the time. The first hit of 112 will sometimes connect, and other times the first 1 will whiff under the Deathstroke opponent who is in the air.

Of course, seeing as it's impossible to tell which will win in that moment, it's definitely unwise of the Deathstroke player to take that bet.

The total from the entire setup would be 100% damage for just 2 bars of meter if the Deathstroke player goes for a wakeup that randomly trades, and then guesses wrong on the 50/50 reset into a third full combo.

I'll see if I can find out how the timing works exactly to make the trade land in Lex's favor more often, but honestly, the Deathstroke player is risking an entire lifebar for a 6% damage wake-up attack- I don't see why they'd bother.
What if instead of 112 you do 22 b.3?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I really should pick up Lex. A theory fighter like me would love a set up monster, lol.

Whats the one... is it d.1 or something? The overhead option.
Oh, yeah. I tried that a while ago, thought it worked but I found issues with it and had to dump it.

http://testyourmight.com/media/sexy-lex-reset-tech.2980/

Turns out, it didn't work, or at best it worked but was very inconsistent.

What happens sometimes is if the enemy blocks low and doesn't block the overhead, the d+1 of that string launches them OVER the mine.

Other times the 22 will push the enemy so the mine will be blocked very long before the d1 connects, and in that case even if the d1 connects, it won't put them into a mine. The 22 will push the enemy that way if they are blocking low. My mistake was the AI was blocking the 22 mid high when I tried it, and was getting pushed back less.

There was also issue where depending on if you did a b13 or f2 starter for the combo, the d+1 would launch over the mine, or hit so late after the mine it was easy to block.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
22d1 is the overhead, but I think what he was getting at was that 11 was two quick hits to knock them out of wake-up. 22 takes a bit longer
You'd be surprised, 22 has a lot more active frames and a much larger reach, meaning they might not be able to avoid the 22 as well as the 11 might bring.

Hm... What about a different set-up? Like instead of b.2 into it, try something like...
d.2 as an ender.

Also I should emphasize that if you do a j2, b2, instead of a j3, b2, on some characters one of the 1's will whiff and there won't be enough pushback to create the hard-to-block situation. It's only consistent with j3, b2 xx mine.

If that is too hard to land (timing is a bit strict), one could just follow up with a j2, b2 xx mine, b1, 112

The b1 will push the enemy far back to the point that almost every d1 will not reach far enough to hit Lex, so the 112 cannot be interrupted. b1 is also +6 on block, so if they try to do anything- even that 7-frame sword flip, it will be stuffed by 112.

As always, you need shields or your b1 will be beat by an initial d1 counter-poke or a fast-wakeup.

Updated the original post:

Different characters with different hitboxes would cause the initial setup to be inconsistent- sometimes the 112 would whiff too much and not push back enough for the low/overhead "earthshaker" effect to take place- the opponent would not be pushed back onto the mine after blocking the overhead.

If you delay the j2 jump-in attack that comes after the initial setup's b3, the j2, b2 will leave the enemy sliiiightly farther, enough to ensure the 112 will have enough push-back to ALWAYS cause the enemy to go over the mine at the same time the overhead hits, as intended. This also preserves the setups ability to force the enemy to land on the mine and give Lex a free 50/50 if they tech roll.

I have tested this on the entire cast, except for the DLC characters, and it works with 100% consistency.

You lose some damage from doing a j2 instead of a j3, however it is worth the fact it is MUCH easier to do than a j3,b2, which demands exact timing.

Initial combo does 26% with a low starter, 30% with an overhead starter. The follow-up allowed by the combo is 34 %, so you are guaranteed at least 60% damage if this hits, and for only 1 total.