What's new

Tech Lex b.2 u.3 FSR

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Hello there.

For those who are subscribed to my channel, you may have already seen the video pop up. If not, heres something nifty for you Lex mains.

As is shown by the video, when b.2 u.3 is done in a juggle state, it causes a normal knockdown. However, when it is done upon a standing opponent (like after an EX vacuum), it creates a much faster stand animation. I know what you might be wondering...

"What use is this to me?" "What about tech rolls?" "What about wake-ups?"

Yes, all of these are valid concerns, and to them I say you're right. All of these pose a problem for the Lex player... Well somewhat. There is always the option to dash after them, and it allows you to keep pressure pretty well. The real value comes in the corner, where the opponent would need to expect this to avoid it. Mind you, as always, its advised to have some form of armor to help avoid wake-up attacks.

As an example, heres a low damage example (I know Lex can do much more damage) that should show the FSR (Fast standing "reset") in a more practical light.

The window for the opponent to actually react is incredibly small, so much so that an unaware opponent will be easily set-up for another combo. Whats more is tech rolls will only avoid the first hit of the b.1, but the 3 will still come out and hit low. This needs more work and research so I call out to the Lex forum to help develop this into a real weapon.

@LtLuthor
@G4S J360
@WannabePlayer
@OmegaK
@AK Glass_Sword

That's your guys' cue to start making it a weapon.

T4T|Nevan

"Burn baby! Burn!"
Do all characters stand up "fast" like that or it's char specific?

Damn...he has so many tools!

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
Why the hell didn't I get an alert for this? Oh that's right, BECAUSE I WASN'T TAGGED! :mad:

But this is sweet. I love Lex's gimmicks :D

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Heh heh. This reminds me of Cyrax's 3,3 pick-up after his 212 string connects in the corner. CyraxLuthor is coming!
Did you see my mine tech rework? Made it so they are forced onto it.
Yeah you did lol. Liked it too.

Something I've been working with is like u.3 into corps charge to cover ground.
Works great on mine bounces.

T4T|Nevan

"Burn baby! Burn!"
It's funny this was here since last week and only when I reply to the thread people come in like sharks! Leave my badly alone!

This guy has some many stuff to learn and incorporate into your gameplay...it's insane and thrilling.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
It's funny this was here since last week and only when I reply to the thread people come in like sharks! Leave my badly alone!

This guy has some many stuff to learn and incorporate into your gameplay...it's insane and thrilling.
You mean me or Lex? You'd be right on both counts, of course :cool:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Oh yeah, theres a decent bit of stuff I haven't gotten around to recording yet. Some d.2 fast stand traps and the like.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
thats cool. can they still wake up attack? this is good when armored.
Yes but their window to do so is, I wanna say, a matter of about 5-7 frames or so. You'd need to test it, but I'm pretty sure it forces them to stand and block a just-frame corps charge.

But they have that small amount of time to either correct block or buffer an attack rebuttal. Against certain character without strong wake-ups, you have a nasty set-up. Against someone like say...
Raven, you can do b.1xxnormal throw as a tick throw set-up, or b.13 as the full combo starter. You can also use your Mb f.3 to maintain corner presence in the absence of traited armor.

T4T|Nevan

"Burn baby! Burn!"
Doombawkz, do you provide tech like this for Bane aswell? If so, gonna lurk in the Bane forums =)

What would be the 'perfect' conditions to test this, against the cast, in the training mode?

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
ive known about this for a while now and have done it on stream, just wanted to see if someone else could find it as well

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
nice way to maintain pressure when you are armored then, otherwise because of the fast stand you will not get your armor up opportunity. definitely worthwhile mixup tho, you can maintain pressure if they dont account for the fast stand when they are hit by that string. the problem is projecting it though because its a big dumb two hit string but still in a battle its another thing they gotta react to. nice find. dunno if other people already found it tho. likely not tho.

by the way you tagged the mist whack player list. who are these non lex players? :s

Galactic Geek
@ oh fuck i dunno i honestly forget who plays lex anymore. im too absent.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I guess you could say I provide a little tech here and there, its nothing special.

The perfect conditions to test against the cast? If I had to give what I usually test with...
I'd say

Player position Left
Stage position Right
AI block - Auto

Pick the opponent you want to beat. I usually set it for BA as a default marker since Lightning Cage is a pretty standard wake-up. A bit of invincibility, but still beatable. You can change it to anyone for the specific wake-ups you are worried about.

Then from there just test with different scenarios. Traited, MB armor, and just general punish scenarios to see what works. Its not the same for every character, but the tech universally works the same on everyone and the responses are different.

Once you get the main idea of what you want to try against (lets say, BA cage again), set it to random to ensure the opponent's options will be covered at least to a 2-1 margin (an option select, where you cover multiple paths using the same move to greater increase your chance of success). Traited armor and MB armor do this pretty well, so lets say Mb f.3 untraited is your go-to.

From that point, you have to take into account other factors. Tech rolls should be tested, of course (MB f.3 tends to override this as well as trait) and timings must be made. Luckily one major factor, being the opponent's ability to stall their wake-up, isn't possible against this tech because of the faster standing animation. Likewise, since its point blank, most characters barring level 3 Bane and Traited Superman will end up losing their invuln as you bring down the hit. There are some exceptions, namely stuff like Batwheel and teleports, which will render the tech less useful because of their quick multi-hits breaking armor or outright bypassing it.

So being said, this tech isn't an end-all but moreso MU specific to help force the opponent to adapt different timings and riskier plays to avoid it. Its a tool to pressure the opponent into making a mistake, and if done right the opponent will be left constantly stuck trying to guess. Use your option-selects wisely and plan accordingly for each opponent, and you'll see this tech's true value.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
ive known about this for a while now and have done it on stream, just wanted to see if someone else could find it as well
That's why I didn't bother tagging you. I already figured you knew about it, just spreading the knowledge to anyone who didn't. Videos are helpful. :p

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
You're humble really, because this is great stuff and very well explained.

Thanks man, I'm going to test this up and share the findings.
Ah. Well I don't know about all of that. :oops: That's just how I test stuff personally. Theres probably better ways to do it.

One last word of advice, don't take practice mode as the end of the road. You'll need to test it on live opponents.
Likewise, remember as I said, it does vary in use from match to match so keep in mind that the answer for one may not be the answer for all. This is just one tool out of a great vary many, and in some match-ups it might be better to not use it at all. Learn it, but don't rely on it.

T4T|Nevan

"Burn baby! Burn!"
Aye, practice mode never was/is the "bottom line" but I wanted to know the best conditions to test it, on a dummy, to get used to it and to see in which matchups would be worth it to use.

It's like I've been saying, this guy has loads of stuff to learn, but it also requires that we know when to apply such setups.

The more I learn about the game and certain characters, the more I find that this game as loads of depth. Feels great.