What's new

Leveling up in Sf4

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Check out his match vs Momochi, he pulled of, in my personal opinion, one of the sickest whiff punishes in SF4 against Ken's step kick.
I just watched the capcup 2014 match. Was it that one? I think I missed it.

@gam224 The match I watched with ryu VS ken is actually a great demonstration of Ryu's optimal range. Many occasions where Ryan goes for cr.MK at tip range and I think he fishes for some f.HP to try and catch a focus. But overall great play on both sides. And I figure you can take some notes from Ken because of the similarities.

Edit: Just realized they faced each other twice.

I just watched the capcup 2014 match. Was it that one? I think I missed it.

@gam224 The match I watched with ryu VS ken is actually a great demonstration of Ryu's optimal range. Many occasions where Ryan goes for cr.MK at tip range and I think he fishes for some f.HP to try and catch a focus. But overall great play on both sides. And I figure you can take some notes from Ken because of the similarities.
They played 2 sets. Momochi won one and Ryan won one. The whiff punish happened in the first set. The one Ryan won.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I dont mean this to sound rude, but saying you're looking for something deeper than Ryu's low forward shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the character.

It's his entire existence in SFiv . it's not just 'cr.mk x fireball', its an entire world that revolves around that move. His whole game is predicated off of it.

SF is more about proper spacing than most anything else. and spacing is WAY more than knowing the max range of an important move. It's about maximizing your offense while minimizing your opponents. Spacing is a constantly evolving game played within the game (meta!).

Think of it like this, a pro poker player can watch how an opponent bets, and use that information to guess what cards his opponent has and what he's chasing. That player can then use how *he* bets, to influence what his opponents think he's holding and what he's chasing, effectively manipulating situations to his advantage, and minimizing loss when things go south. The spacing aspect of SF is essentially a very similar interplay between manipulation, bluffs, guesses, bets, counter bets, etc.

All that from a cr.mk. =)

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I dont mean this to sound rude, but saying you're looking for something deeper than Ryu's low forward shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the character.

It's his entire existence in SFiv . it's not just 'cr.mk x fireball', its an entire world that revolves around that move. His whole game is predicated off of it.

SF is more about proper spacing than most anything else. and spacing is WAY more than knowing the max range of an important move. It's about maximizing your offense while minimizing your opponents. Spacing is a constantly evolving game played within the game (meta!).

Think of it like this, a pro poker player can watch how an opponent bets, and use that information to guess what cards his opponent has and what he's chasing. That player can then use how *he* bets, to influence what his opponents think he's holding and what he's chasing, effectively manipulating situations to his advantage, and minimizing loss when things go south. The spacing aspect of SF is essentially a very similar interplay between manipulation, bluffs, guesses, bets, counter bets, etc.

All that from a cr.mk. =)
So when are we going to play SF4? When SF5 comes out????????

"Somewhat"? I literally paused the video wide eyed because I had to comprehend how nasty that was. I mean my god man. I hope children weren't in attendance.
Well, I mean somewhat because you knew what was coming. When I watched that live on stream I literally had to spend weeks picking pieces of my skull off my floor.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Well, I mean somewhat because you knew what was coming. When I watched that live on stream I literally had to spend weeks picking pieces of my skull off my floor.
Funny thing is, I completely forgot why I was watching. Just enjoying the high level play. Then . . . . . I can't even speak about it.

But odd question. Not to take away from that moment. But it seemed like SF's proximity blocking helped out in that situation. Makes me wonder what would've happened if it was like MK with no proximity blocking.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
So when are we going to play SF4? When SF5 comes out????????
Lol, I haven't really been playing any fighting games recently. Like, I log in one, sit in training mode for 10m, get bored, switch characters, 10m, get bored, switch entire games, repeat the process in an entirely new game, sometimes a third after that. I tend to alt-tab games, so my hours played are crazy looking, or it looks like ive been in MKX for like 8 hrs, but really, its like Jax idling in the training room while I'm not even home any more. lol.

It got so bad that a few days back I literally uninstalled all my fighting games with the exception being MKX because Im going to force myself to just play TWO. Having fucking KOFXIII, 3rd Strike, SFIV, SFV Beta + Hacked version, Skullgirls, MKX, BlazBlue and now a hacked GG Xrd to tinker with (got laid off, start new job soon, but no video games bought when no job, so cant buy GG for a bit, luckily what I do is oddly in demand and two phone calls resulted in 3 job offers, lol) had so frazzled my shit version of an attention span, that I couldn't focus on anything *at all*. Resulting in me becoming worse at ALL my games instead of better at any.

MKX made my two games to keep list. SFIV is likely to make the second, but I haven't ruled out GG Xrd just yet. I'm basically just waiting it out to see what game I want to play the most when deprived of it. Obviously when SFV drops that will become my main game to the exclusion of all others except MKX which I intend to keep playing *at least* through KP2.

I dunno, I just need to rekindle my interest in actually playing fighting games. I've slowly gone from playing with reading about and watching as distant seconds and thirds, to reading and watching with playing as a distant third.

Bah.

Funny thing is, I completely forgot why I was watching. Just enjoying the high level play. Then . . . . . I can't even speak about it.

But odd question. Not to take away from that moment. But it seemed like SF's proximity blocking helped out in that situation. Makes me wonder what would've happened if it was like MK with no proximity blocking.
Eh. It happened fast enough that even if he did take a quarter step back heda been in range for it. Even if he wasn't he coulda done medium srk for the farther range at the cost of 20 dmg and still got the kill. But I dunno if proximity blocking helped as much as it was just Ryan knowing that he could space it that way using the games mechanics.

gam224

The world's least hype player
If you are good with Ryu in SF4 doesn't mean you will be good as Ryu in SFV. V is just too different.
If you wanna some training, you can find me on PS4 & PC.
That would be great! I have seen your videos before and you are one of the most flashy sf players I have seen. Oh and congrats on that crazy beta win streak