What's new

Let's Talk About Balance (To Nerf or To Buff)

To Buff or To Nerft

• Buff

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Nerf

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Let it Rock

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Delete Catwoman/Supergirl from the game

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters

protools27

Rebel without a scene
This is a thread that I have wanted to put together for a while to talk about the balance of Injustice 2. IMO, Inj 2 is the most balanced NRS game to date (I didn't play MK9, but from what I heard while it was loved near and dear, there was some pretty busted things in the game).

This is not a nerf or buff thread, rather a thread to spur discussion about where the game is currently and how it could be even better. So the question is: at this point in the games life, do you think it would be better to nerf the best characters, or to buff the weaker ones to a more even playing field?

I tend to lean with the second option, and I will list my reasoning why.

The 2 characters that are generally listed as being top 3 in the game would be Catwoman and Supergirl. I don't play Supergirl but I think she is the most fair top tier character in many of the games that I have played. Meaning while she is pretty good at almost everything and has few if any weaknesses, she also doesn't flat out dominate most of the cast with 7-3 matchups that have occurred often in other NRS games.

Could she be nerfed? Absolutely. But in looking at the rest of the cast, I think there are a number of characters (cheetah, joker, etc) that would be better served getting buffed before the top tiers are nerfed. Is nerfing Supergirl going to help the Joker with his worst or second worst match up?

I've played Catwoman since Injustice 1, and she is obviously significantly better in this game than she was in Inj1. Let's look at whats changed:

Nerfs:
no more meterless launcher
F1 no longer an overhead
Multiple Damage nerfs
Lost an invincible wake up
No double f3 combos
Toned down b3/j2 (still really good obviously)

Buffs:
Faster walkspeed
Faster low whip
B2
MB Trait

Her buffs were pretty simple, nothing super crazy. But the biggest buff to Catwoman is that there is no Martian Manhunter, Zod, Aquaman, etc. While Catwoman is one of, if not the best character in the game, like Supergirl she doesn't flat out dominate most characters. She has a set of tools that cover many options.

I don't see why other simple buffs could be given to other characters to try to bring them up to the level of the best characters in the game. Thoughts?

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Honestly if they just did something to Catwoman's B3 I'd be pretty content with the balance of the game. I just think it's a bit potato.

As long as Michelangelo gets buffed of course!

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
Well Catwoman is still full of meterless launchers for high damage. Which is an issue and to most her be is an issue.

My solution for her would be to make her b3 28f and low profiles on frame 7-10 instead of frame 3.
Making her be slower would also make sure she can't use b3 of meterless combos unless she uses meter.

Supergirl is touchy because she's meant to have everything. But she's a little too good at everything. So you have slightly Nerf things if you don't wanna kill her.

Her breath needs to be 1f slower so the gaps are bigger without messing with her strings. And d1 should be a frame slower. She'll still have a 7f d2. And her trait should take slightly more meter ( like atrocitous )

Adam is in the discussion for nerfs not sure what though.

Now that the top is SLIGHTLY nerfed.

Let's slightly buff the bottom.
Joker and cyrborg the mainly the ones looked at as bottom tier. But GL, bane, and grodd? Could be in that list as well. And Deadshot too.

Leave the middle as is too avoid another firestorm (who isn't even that bad)

protools27

Rebel without a scene
Well Catwoman is still full of meterless launchers for high damage. Which is an issue and to most her be is an issue.

My solution for her would be to make her b3 28f and low profiles on frame 7-10 instead of frame 3.
Making her be slower would also make sure she can't use b3 of meterless combos unless she uses meter.

Supergirl is touchy because she's meant to have everything. But she's a little too good at everything. So you have slightly Nerf things if you don't wanna kill her.

Her breath needs to be 1f slower so the gaps are bigger without messing with her strings. And d1 should be a frame slower. She'll still have a 7f d2. And her trait should take slightly more meter ( like atrocitous )

Adam is in the discussion for nerfs not sure what though.

Now that the top is SLIGHTLY nerfed.

Joker and cyrborg the mainly the ones looked at as bottom tier. But GL, bane, and grodd? Could be in that list as well. And Deadshot too.

I feel that while the top chars are good, I don’t think they are so good that they dominate most of the cast, and that we could buff the other chars to be able to compete better with them.

Once the other weaker characters are stronger, if the top are still significantly better, then they could be nerfed. I just feel like characters should be good and not brought down because other chars aren’t as good as they could be.

Joker's one buff away from the big leagues. I'd say if they made his sweep have the same frame data a Blue Beetle's sweep he'll be fine. I think he just needs a safe way to check people that are constantly trying to back out of his pressure. With it's current range it'd be a great tool to just throw out, not that many people are punishing his sweep as often as they should.

I'm already resigned to the idea of his trait being relatively useless forever.

SeasonedGeisha

Make Harley Consistent 2k18
Here is the thing about Catwoman though. She’s annoying and has alot of tools, and Is definetly #1. But when I foght against her the only thing I feel helpless against is her hard knockdown loop in the corner in conjunction w/2D2 to create mix-ups into full combo. Aside from that she does have some weaknesses, but overall ai’d like to see her negativity on some moves increased. She is pretty much negative on none of her common strings.

D

Deleted member 58466

ahem, dont forget captian cold

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Nerf Supergirl and Catwoman slightly, buff Captain Cold and Raiden. Leave everyone else alone.

Wigy

There it is...
They need to do a big overhaul on hurt/hitboxes to the entire roster.

Certain characters just get totally neutered by lowprofiling.

Makes loosing unbelievably salty and even the wins you’re like fuck this shit, i have to work so hard and they can just yolo mash.

Theres the obvious offenders cw/sg.

Shit like cheetahs d3 leaves me baffled how it made past testing.

Lowprofiles life itself.

I think the entire roster would sit differently tier wise. If you changed that and got rid of some of the mindlessness of the top tier.

Oh and buff joker and captain cold.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
They need to do a big overhaul on hurt/hitboxes to the entire roster.

Certain characters just get totally neutered by lowprofiling.

Makes loosing unbelievably salty and even the wins you’re like fuck this shit, i have to work so hard and they can just yolo mash.

Theres the obvious offenders cw/sg.

Shit like cheetahs d3 leaves me baffled how it made past testing.

Lowprofiles life itself.

I think the entire roster would sit differently tier wise. If you changed that and got rid of some of the mindlessness of the top tier.

Oh and buff joker and captain cold.
That's an engine issue

They need to start from the ground up to fix unfortunately.

As for the OP
I've said it before I'll edit it on if find it by Balanced and honest are not the same thing essentially

SG is too strong right now they don't need to go ham nerfing but she definitely needs some adjustments like bigger gaps in breath and some sort of trait nerf

CW damage and B3 nerfs should do the job

Then the game be in a much better place

seveergg

The Elegant Swagger Beast
the best analogy I can think of for the balance of this game is the GDP of the United States. The top 1% of the population has 50% of the wealth. The middle classes are all pretty balanced with 45% and the lower class has 5. At any given point this game has a top 5 that typically dominates the game until one or More of them gets nerfed and then new characters take their place. Characters that are in the middle will pretty much generally be in the middle until they win the buff lotto and bump themselves into first class plane seats. And the low class will never be touched and will be forgotten by the rest of society. Left outside to rot in a van down by the river. Granted, the game is more balanced than any other nrs game ever, but I mean fuck. Supergirl has NO LOSING MATCHUPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSS. Ed Boone pls.

Jbog

Noob
Just played 15 matches online 9 supergirls 4 catwomans 2 black adams...hmm come on balance out the rest with the a tier otherwise balance wise ots a good game. Oh outta 20 other 5 were robin! Not a broken character robin just drives me nutz lol

Jbog

Noob
Slow the walkback speed for everyone on this game boom problems fixed! its a walk backwards zonong game now! Or walk backwards anti air! Or walk back wif punish! Can we reward a little to players who dont zone in this game! Otherwise take recovery frames of dashing back to injustice 1 so we can run the backwalkers down!

Jbog

Noob
Catwoman gives me few problems nor do i just hate playing her but supergirl on the other hand......i net i play her 2 out of 3 matches! Nice to play a few more of the cast sometimes.

Wigy

There it is...
That's an engine issue

They need to start from the ground up to fix unfortunately.

As for the OP
I've said it before I'll edit it on if find it by Balanced and honest are not the same thing essentially

SG is too strong right now they don't need to go ham nerfing but she definitely needs some adjustments like bigger gaps in breath and some sort of trait nerf

CW damage and B3 nerfs should do the job

Then the game be in a much better place
They adjust hit/hurtboxes regularly though.

In my eyes it's the biggest issues in this game.

Certain changes they’ve made is just totally pissing in the wind to the real issues with mechanics or balance.

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
This is a thread
No this
is
TEEWHYEM

I fully agree though, buffs to other characters would be amazing so that no character comes short. Steps were taken in the right direction but the biggest issue is the randomness and inconsistency of NRS when it comes to these things.

- NRS: "We try to avoid kneejerk patching"
- Starfire gets nerfed almost immediately
- Supergirl and Catwoman remain dumb for a year or two.

lol

Skedar70

Noob
I honestly feel like the need to fix that full screen unantiairable jump in whip. Its a free get in card into some nasty staggers or make those staggers more negative.

Supergirl is fine.

Deadshot needs a buff I know everybody hates him but he was completely erased from the game. Same with captain cold. No sure about raiden, Nobody plays him.

Superman needs a nerf to his overhead laser damage.