What's new

Let's agree on what GL needs in the patch

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
now first off this thread isn't for the people who think he's fine or "doesn't need buffs" so if that's your stance exit the thread. He for one needs his lanterns might move fixed and a couple of other things. Anyway here are a few small things I think would help him a lot and he NEEDS to be more than a mediocre character.

1. Give him a real wake up.
Wall has some invincibility but every character can jump over it and every one I've tried can stuff it and if you jump wall you're safe from wake up lift so he's free to be punished or just crossed up. He needs a legit wake up.

2. Fix lanterns might.
The move has whiffing issues, if a character is going upward in their jump arc it whiffs 90% of the time even if they are clearly in range, plus off a trait overcharged lantern it has a ton more range so I think the range should be made consistent, it should reach from the start of the round and shouldn't be outraged by black Adams lightning hands. And if it isn't going to be able to anti air it should have the same grounded range it had in INJ1.

3. A slight damage buff.
he just does very low damage for no good reason, the only character I can think off of the top of my head who decisively does less damage is super girl and hers is the lowest in the game but she has a ton more tools than he does, there's just no reason he should do so much less damage than the viable characters (not just top tiers).

4. A practical plus string or special.
His only practical plus string is 2231 and it's plus 1 but he has a 7 frame d1 so any character with a 6 frame d1 isn't really at a frame disadvantage.In my opinion MB wall should be plus 3 on block so he could have some type of pressure or just safety and it would be a good get off me wake up, at the cost of a bar of meter. if not wall then overcharged lantern (db2) mb should be plus

5. Less recovery on his forward dash.
He was given a forward dash with more range to help him deal with zoning but it has so much recovery it doesn't really do much and because he has to dash before a mb roll it makes mb roll not a great option, I can't even count how many mb rolls I have been hit out of because he has so much start up. I just want him to have some better options against the strong zoners in the game

That's all I think he NEEDS, if there was one of these I had to live without, it would be the forward dash buff. Can we agree on these as good changes for him? If not what do you guys think he needs? Is this too much? I don't think any of it would make him overpowered just better, I'm aiming to get him in Harley tier, good and viable but definitely not broken and has struggles still

x-azeez

Bullet with your name on it
now first off this thread isn't for the people who think he's fine or "doesn't need buffs" so if that's your stance exit the thread. He for one needs his lanterns might move fixed and a couple of other things. Anyway here are a few small things I think would help him a lot and he NEEDS to be more than a mediocre character.

1. Give him a real wake up.
Wall has some invincibility but every character can jump over it and every one I've tried can stuff it and if you jump wall you're safe from wake up lift so he's free to be punished or just crossed up. He needs a legit wake up.

2. Fix lanterns might.
The move has whiffing issues, if a character is going upward in their jump arc it whiffs 90% of the time even if they are clearly in range, plus off a trait overcharged lantern it has a ton more range so I think the range should be made consistent, it should reach from the start of the round and shouldn't be outraged by black Adams lightning hands. And if it isn't going to be able to anti air it should have the same grounded range it had in INJ1.

3. A slight damage buff.
he just does very low damage for no good reason, the only character I can think off of the top of my head who decisively does less damage is super girl and hers is the lowest in the game but she has a ton more tools than he does, there's just no reason he should do so much less damage than the viable characters (not just top tiers).

4. A practical plus string or special.
His only practical plus string is 2231 and it's plus 1 but he has a 7 frame d1 so any character with a 6 frame d1 isn't really at a frame disadvantage.In my opinion MB wall should be plus 3 on block so he could have some type of pressure or just safety and it would be a good get off me wake up, at the cost of a bar of meter. if not wall then overcharged lantern (db2) mb should be plus

5. Less recovery on his forward dash.
He was given a forward dash with more range to help him deal with zoning but it has so much recovery it doesn't really do much and because he has to dash before a mb roll it makes mb roll not a great option, I can't even count how many mb rolls I have been hit out of because he has so much start up. I just want him to have some better options against the strong zoners in the game

That's all I think he NEEDS, if there was one of these I had to live without, it would be the forward dash buff. Can we agree on these as good changes for him? If not what do you guys think he needs? Is this too much? I don't think any of it would make him overpowered just better, I'm aiming to get him in Harley tier, good and viable but definitely not broken and has struggles still
I agree with point 1,2 & 4

TRVP6GXD

Noob
Ive played GL since igau and I think hes fine. Lanterns Might whiffs at times and its not a true AA so thats about the only thing I can agree with you on. His strings are fine,his damage is fine. Etc...etc...

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
I think lanterns might needs a hitbox buff, and he needs a slight damage buff in my opinion. I just don't like that lanterns might is pretty much exclusively a meter dependent combo extender. I don't see where lanterns might has much utility outside of combos and that's lame to me.

I don't think GL needs to have a powerful pressure game, so I wouldn't touch his frame data on strings. The character has a lot of safety as is on most good strings, I don't think his design necessitates his ability to relentlessly pressure.

I don't think wall on wakeup is as bad as your making it out to be personally, I don't think he needs a wakeup buff.

His back dash and forward dash are trash imo, but with the walk speed and his footsie and neutral game and ability to semi-effectively zone lead me to think he doesn't need a dash buff, just a typical design trade off.

I think lantern is pretty good, but upplayed quite a bit as well. I don't agree with every buff suggestion Fred marvel made here, but I do think he could use some help in damage and lanterns might.

I'm pretty blown away how dismissive and aggro everyone is in this thread as if this is a top tier character that should be getting nerfs if anything.

I do recognize that it wouldn't be hard to over buff GL and that with the top getting nerfed could make him over powered.

JDM

Noob
-fix lantern's might for real

-2231 +2-3

-Maybe a slight damage buff. His setups are great though so with a 2231 and lanterns might buff he might not need this.

his wakeups are fine breh. If someone is jumping your wakeup you are fucking up. Flat out. You shouldn't have a free wakeup get off me in every situation.

Also I love the people who come into other character threads just to say "LOL THIS CHARACTER DONT NEED BUFFS" while abusing the top tier and shit, gtfo. Lantern is not that good. seems like an inj1 lantern mindset again with the majority of the people. And personally I think he was better in the first one. Coming from a day 1 GL main since Inj 1..

oh and im not holding my breath for any buffs. They never helped him out in the first one either so I'm used to it rofl. If they tone down adam and some of the other top tiers he may not even need a damage buff but I really think they need to fix Lantern's might. Move is useless for air space control now, terrible.