What's new

Match Footage Learning the Cyrax match up - Part 1

Vagrant

Noob
After GGA HAN knocked be out of winners at fight night I knew I needed to nail this matchup down over the next month. And who better to train with than one of the absolute best Cyrax players in the world. Mr. Han himself.

We'll probably be streaming/recording this matchup around every thursday until I get it down. Here is part 1. I got fucking bodied, robbed, and reset to hell. Making progress though. GGA HAN I can't thank you enough for sittin down with me and running this matchup man, it's helping a ton.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
Vagrant at around 6:40 you get hit by a bomb thats no where near you...or am I going crazy? I'll give the whole set a watch later and let you know if I see anything.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I've only watched about 10 minutes so far but Han's bomb set ups were on another level. Good stuff

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Vagrant one thing ive noticed is that you rarely use rings in this match up. Youre almost always trying to be in hans face. At times you can stay full screen and (if youre careful) make han do all the work to get you. Rings recover incredibly fast and you can easily throw one everytime a bomb leaves his chest. Net will also only trade if it comes out first or from around 3/4 screen or closer. Just something to add when you have those big leads and you rush at han and he catches you in that one net. Rings and MS cancels full screen are also good ways to stockpile your meter when you dont have any and dont want to risk being in the face of a reset machine.

Justice

Noob
Vagrant one thing ive noticed is that you rarely use rings in this match up. Youre almost always trying to be in hans face. At times you can stay full screen and (if youre careful) make han do all the work to get you. Rings recover incredibly fast and you can easily throw one everytime a bomb leaves his chest. Net will also only trade if it comes out first or from around 3/4 screen or closer. Just something to add when you have those big leads and you rush at han and he catches you in that one net. Rings and MS cancels full screen are also good ways to stockpile your meter when you dont have any and dont want to risk being in the face of a reset machine.
Vagrant This x100. Sonya/Cyrax is arguably the ONLY matchup Sonya has where she wants to zone. With her fast execution and faster recovery on Rings, she can long-distance poke (at worst) Cyrax in addition to making it very difficult for Cyrax to fill the screen with Bombs. The only real danger here is a Teleport counter which isn't a major deal since Rings recovers so fast.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
ok, here's my analysis

~7:35 - bad use of meter to break, the combo was done with that uppercut

~14:10 - you can armor out of the setup where I net you really high then throw a bomb behind you, then push you into it with 2,2.

~14:20 - another bad breaker, combo was done in about 5% more damage to you

~19:53 - point blank blocked net goes unpunished

~21:54 - point blank blocked net punished with only a d1

I'll add more later.

General Notes:

- too much anti-crossup d1. The risk reward is far too much in Cyrax' favor. You get 17% + standing reset + chip, Cyrax get 80%+ or more depending on your meter.

I didn't watch the whole thing but I'll give my opinions.

You use ms f1 cartwheel too much. This puts you at disadvantage on block and disadvantage if f1 hits. Sonya has good mix ups off f1.

You jump forward too much to avoid bombs. Just walk, neutral jump or jump backwards.

Take advantage of cyrax whenever he throws out a bomb. Use it as an opportunity to get in. You need patience though. Best way to get in is if he throws out a close bomb. You have to be wary of other bombs though. You need to know when to move forward, backward and to just neutral jump.

Rings help at full screen. At mid range, they're riskier. Use them as pokes. Her rings probably aren't that great at mid range since you can just duck them or use d4.

Justice

Noob
One thing to help with the D1 is: every once in a while hold DF so that you can go 13 and you'll get the Kartwheel cancel.

Waaaaaaaay too much jumping.

What was up with you being caught in a net at around $8:30 and losing like a bar of life to meter drain WHILE still in the net? Just sayin'.