What's new

Learning A New Fighter; Interviews With Veterans

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Awesome! Do you think a thread for the community's responses would be worth it too? Just to show how varied people's approaches to games can be? They probably won't get much exposure in the comments of this thread, but it's just an idea :)
I could add a single spoiler tag for the community responses in the OP, and add them all in there.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
Man, I remember @Juggs fucking me up in mk9 online with Liu Kang -_-. That session was mostly me getting my ass whooped. I did get a few wins in with Kabal though. So I gutted him for revenge haha.

1. When approaching a new fighting game, what is the very first thing you do after you load the game? (Story mode, training mode, etc)

First thing I always do is go into settings. I look through everything and adjust things as needed (generally an all game ritual though). After that I explore the menus just to get a feel for where everything is and what sub menus are underneath. After that it's straight to the lab. Completing the tutorial beforehand if necessary. Then I select one of my potentials and get to work.

2. What aspects of the game do you try to learn first, and which ones do you feel are the most important early on? (General Fundamentals, execution, match-ups, etc)

Fundamentals. This isn't like the older games. This isn't umk3. Characters no longer have the same walk speeds and universal normals. You have to get a feel for how everything works. How it all fits together. Going straight for combos isn't going to benefit anyone if they don't feel out the game first. After that it's generally coming up with various bnbs for various situations. AA, corner, Mid screen and the like. Those combos go into a notebook for study. Then it's all about the execution. Getting everything down so it's second nature. I wanna be able to pop combos on reaction. The more you think, the more you stink. You have to get them into your muscle memory because your mind has to focus on other things.

3. What is your training process? (Ex. I find my characters best anti-airs, find their best pokes, etc)

I've touched on this a little already, but I start by studying the walk speed of the character I'm learning. From there I open the command list and work through every single normal, string, special (mb+ex), and throw. I go back to the trusty notebook and Mark down what strings hit overhead and what hits low so I can place them into my mixups later on.

4. How many characters do you seriously try and learn within the first month of the games release?

Within the first month I try and learn at least 2. Granted I want to learn as many as I can. You never know when you'll need them. The problem here though is, Jack of all trades master of none. Generally it's better to keep your mains down to as low a number as possible but I crave variety. Another thing is, especially if you have a hidden main. Someone no one ever plays, you can whip them out and no one will know the match up. Once they're caught off guard it only takes one bnb to put them on tilt. Then that match is yours. I'll probably play around 6-7 at least. I managed to whittle mk9 down to just Sub-Zero, Ermac, Johnny Cage, Liu Kang, (picked up Kang after Juggs stomped my ass with him), and Kabal.

5. How do you go about determining which character(s) you want to main?

I'm a loyalist. Sub-Zero forever and always, unless it's cyber sub.... -_-. I still don't see how REO learned him. I couldn't stand him. Loyalty aside though it's generally how they play. I'm a more defensive/rush down player so I gravitate toward those types. I always feel like a douche if I hang back and zone (which is also hilarious) thanks Kabal ;).

6. When first attempting to learn a new character, what process do you go through?

I've covered this a bit too, but essentially it's working through their command list. Finding what's safe and what isn't. What specials and strings I can use to my advantage. Also @DanCock and his Kitana.... Probably some of the best zone practice I've ever had lol. Aside from that it's working on footsies and building up various bnbs.

7. Daily, about how much time do you spend in the lab compared to actually playing against a human opponent? And how much time do you spend playing the game overall a day?

I would like to spend 5-6hrs a day. General most in the lab or playing human opponents, but it all depends on work and many other variables.

8. If there was one thing you think people need to work on in the NRS community in regards to the game, what would that one thing be?

Complaining. It's a fighting game, it's gonna be broken. That's just a part of the dance. It'll get fixed in time, but that all depends on NRS devoting more time to the game post launch. They definitely need to patch more than 6 months. I wish this would be our sf4. Not necessarily with re-releasing the game again and again, but being patch supported for a much longer duration.

9. Which aspect of MKX are you most interested in? (Variations, run, the story, etc)

I'm about even with variations and story. I need to make sure Raiden doesn't fuck everything up again. Plus the variations are crazy. 3 per character. Kind of makes me want a super secret all on one variation. I'd stick with one and have the ai or my opponent go ham on me with a combination of all 3. That would one hell of an up Hill battle, but maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

10. Lastly, which character(s) are you looking to main?

Sub-Zero and Johnny Cage for sure. I'm still holding out hope for Fujin, but the other characters I'm interested in trying are Kano (and I've always hated him lol), Kung Lao, and Ermac.

Last edited:

Noob
1. When approaching a new fighting game, what is the very first thing you do after you load the game? (Story mode, training mode, etc)

-First thing I do is any tutorial. This gives me a basic feel of the game and I'm usually able to tell if I'll even like the game during the tutorial.

2. What aspects of the game do you try to learn first, and which ones do you feel are the most important early on? (General Fundamentals, execution, match-ups, etc)

-Execution is the most important early on. If you can't execute, then you haven't gotten past the basics. Fundamentals and matchups change over the course of a game's lifespan, so they come later down the line.

3. What is your training process? (Ex. I find my characters best anti-airs, find their best pokes, etc)

-While I don't play much anymore, when I was playing regularly (primarily training in UMK3, SSF2T and SFA3 because they were my favorite games), I always found that practicing muscle memory combos was effective. I believe that finding anti-airs, pokes, and finding new combos are a learning process, not a training process.

4. How many characters do you seriously try and learn within the first month of the games release?

-One character. I don't have a lot of time, and even if I did, I would spend it learning the nuances of the one character that I plan to main.

5. How do you go about determining which character(s) you want to main?

-If it's MK, I always go to Scorpion first because he's my favorite FG character of all time. If I don't like Scorpion in that specific game, I tend to go to a character that I like their style. At the time in MK9, that was Shang and Reptile for me.

6. When first attempting to learn a new character, what process do you go through?

-If we're talking MK, I always like to learn the combo strings, particularly the launchers. Then I do my best to maximize damage off of those. After that, it's attempting to find the best chip damage block strings. It's actually the opposite of question 3...this is the learning process, not the training process, so here is where I'm really just goofing around with things and seeing what happens and how I can use it.

7. Daily, about how much time do you spend in the lab compared to actually playing against a human opponent? And how much time do you spend playing the game overall a day?

-Daily, almost zero. I probably get about 5 hours of gametime a month these days, LOL. Because of that, almost all of my time is spent in lab or in arcade. I almost never play human opponents anymore because people like to beat their chest too much and I can't stand sore winners. In softball, as batters we would aim for your pitcher for doing that... so instead of getting like that, I just remove myself from the situation and avoid playing people I think will unnecessarily beat their chest.

8. If there was one thing you think people need to work on in the NRS community in regards to the game, what would that one thing be?

-Win with grace. Act like you've been there before.

9. Which aspect of MKX are you most interested in? (Variations, run, the story, etc)

-Story mode. MK has always had an amazing story and this one really intrigues me.

10. Lastly, which character(s) are you looking to main in MKX?

-Didn't I answer this in question 5?

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Bumping this thread for those that never got a chance to see it. Some good stuff in here if you ever have the time to read it!