What's new

Learn the game, possible community project - passing the torch

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Instead of keeping poll threads about paulo's vision if its blurry or not and what move we hated in MKX we want don't want in the next game, how about we as a community bring forth this project with small 3:00 minutes video explaining how the game works from basic to advance concept? Despites what some of us think about MKXL, i still think the game its a pretty rich one and there is a lot that needs to be explained in this game in order to change perspective points of new comers, the NRS itself, and of course us, it would be a good idea to clear out the water, bring something credible, and force once, people would actually have where to reach before blaming anything withing the game mechanics.

I'm not telling the game its perfect, i'm just telling the game has options which are either explored by a very few or by mostly no one at the most part.

I had this idea long time ago, and sadly don't have the time to implement it these days, it takes a lot of details, and time to input something so educational, sadly time its not a thing i currently have due work and a few goals i've been completing within time, and my english isn't definitely something i could use to make something like this, so i'm leaving this to TYM hands, to whoever thinks this is something that a few members could gather up and make some presentation videos explaining the topics on a simple concept. It would definitely help the community grow, less people would see us as just scrubs and so on, as long as everything is right where its needs to be.
Its also something i think the tutorial mode from MKX should've always been.

These two videos are just drafts, so TYM can have an idea of how i envisioned this:

I have a full schedule on how this could play out, and maybe TYM could bring forth better ideias to improve the concept and work on something far more informative and maybe even more simple. The topics are:

Basic: (a way in for casuals into competitive scene, nothing too complicated, very simple concepts).
Normals
What are normals (basic universal normals, command normals, jumping attacks)​
Hitting proprieties
Overheads, lows, mids, highs.​
Guarding
Rules of guarding (Block button, what standing block defends, and what not, what crouching guard defends and what not)
Block Jail (there is no stance lock in MKX/L)​
Throws (throws can go through guards)
how to avoid throws (how to tech throws, in what situations you should be ready to tech throws)​

Intermediarie (A topic for casual players who wants to increase competitive level and become advanced players).
Meter concept
(first hit bonus, 2 bars level and breakers, enhanced attacks, meterburned moves, 3 bars level zand x-rays)​
Stamina concept:
(moves that require use of stamina, backdashes)​
Strings concepts:
(what is a dial string and how it differ from combo juggles)​
Combo link system:
(Run Cancel: Canceling a normal with a special, then canceling the special with a run to cancel the run with another normal and connect within the available time; Timed links: Specials that allows to connect another normal when it connects.)​
Anti Airing
Uppercuts
(Risks and rewards, of proper using, introduction to Anti-Airs)
Other types of Anti-Air (character specifics AA examples)​
NJP (advantages and disadvantages, proper uses)
Introduction to frame data
(What is frame data,difference between in game startup frames and execution frame data)
To what points moves are generaly safe when minus in MKX (-5 by default -6 to -7 its pseudo safe)
Reversal punishes (how they work)
Wakeup game (wakeup attack, delayed wakeup, neutral stand)
Block punishing (Getting rewarded for correct blocking)​

Advanced (Topics for those wishing to play on tournaments and reach the play to win level):

Advanced Guarding (chip damage, loopable strings, blockstrings(gaps on strings), fuzzy guarding)
Advancing Normals concept (poking its not only related to d1s d3 and d4, low profiling, low crushing)
Opening the guard of advanced players that are mostly safe and take no risks (trip guard punishes, whiff punish, counters, strategy)
Advanced combo concept (execution rythm and timing (audio cues when buttons are pressed) Damage exploration)
Hitboxes and Hurtboxes concept: (Disjointed Hitboxes)
Advanced strategies (restands, armor breaks, unblockable restands, OTGs Hard to blockables 50-50s)​

Expert (enlightenment, become a level headed player, there is no knowledge that is no power).
Expert Guarding (pros and cons of the block button how a block button allows you to manage your own space at will compared to b2b and proximity blocking)
Play types (Rushdown, Zoning, what is neutral game, what are footsies)
Match-up knowledge
Enhanced eye (how many moves an advanced player can see ahead based on match-up knowledge)
Hard reads and reactions
Character data ( how to find your character, playstyles characters can offer, walkspeeds and complementary moves can define how a character plays, learning curve)
Clutch or sixth sense (few battle examples)
Frame data left overs (how to calculate it)

Introduction to characters: (Kombat Klass already covered)
I would do this myself, but i can't sadly, so i'm passing the torch to whoever feels like this is something we from the community could work as one and put 1 video of 3:00 minutes tops for each one of these topics i would love to give my take on some dialogues for some of the concepts, we all could learn something from it, NRS would learn how to do tutorials as well, and the best part, maybe on a future NRS game, its something that would come along from a day 1 launch.
Probably left a few things out, this is what it comes into mind right now, anything else it can be added along with no problem.

Just my 2cents.

myri

Time Warrior
I also have to re-do a bunch of videos for my Bo' Rai Cho guides so I can get onto it while I do those as well.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I'd add a section dedicated to the poke meta and mind games (when/why you'd disrespect the opponent when slightly negative, using the hit advantage of your poke efficiently, grabs, what your opponent may be thinking, conditioning, etc.)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'd add a section dedicated to the poke meta and mind games (when/why you'd disrespect the opponent when slightly negative, using the hit advantage of your poke efficiently, grabs, what your opponent may be thinking, conditioning, etc.)
Its all there you just didn't see it yet ;)
Advanced (Topics for those wishing to play on tournaments and reach the play to win level):

Advanced Guarding (chip damage, loopable strings, blockstrings(gaps on strings), fuzzy guarding)
Advancing Normals concept (poking its not only related to d1s d3 and d4, low profiling, low crushing)
Opening the guard of advanced players that are mostly safe and take no risks (trip guard punishes, whiff punish, counters, strategy)
Enhanced eye (how many moves an advanced player can see ahead based on match-up knowledge)
Hard reads and reactions

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Ah fair enough, my bad - I'm on mobile reading in class lol
No problem at all, i'm also weird with descriptions and categories, part of some things you described i put on a session which i named "enhanced eye" which is what i think a competitive player see and thinks compared to a casual one.

where some ppl see two characters on screen, some of us see ranges, hitboxes, predicted attacks and so many other options all processing at very shot mils like a human CPU, its kinda scary.