What's new

"Last Breath" New Mechanic to stop chip kills?

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
It seems like there might be some sort of new mechanic in the new build of MK11 shown today in the UK.
Here is the clip:
https://www.twitch.tv/wbgameslive/clip/MagnificentColorfulOtterOhMyDog?filter=clips&range=7d&sort=time

@11:00

Looks like Skarlet gets to block at least two attacks that would have normally killed with chip. You can see she gets hit with a D3, which puts her at 4.96 health.
Then she blocks a F4 knee which activates a "Chip Avoided" message on the screen and her health goes to 1.00 health. Then Cage cancels the F4 into the hookswing special which Skarlet also blocks. This activates a "Last Breath" message on the screen and Skarlet's health remains at 1.00. The next d1 hits (not blocked) and she is killed.

@gitblame noticed that "Skarlet's defensive meter drains for each hit she blocks that would kill her. Probably as long as you have defensive meter, chip cannot kill you."

It looks like each blocked attack takes one full defensive meter, so it looks like you can block up to two attacks before the next blocked attack will chip you out.

It's all very interesting. Would love to hear other thoughts on this potential new mechanic to NRS games.

Also, thanks to @SweetNeptune for making the twitch clip.

Last edited:

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
Very interesting! I hope this is in the game and not some equipped skill or some shit. A no-chip mechanic would be excellent for this game, especially with all the teleports and tracking moves.

Well at least they didn't necessarily get rid of chip kills but what if I'm in a situation where I want to use my defensive meter for something else instead of a last ditch from getting chipped

Frostbarrier

I Protect The Fridge!
I think this was mentioned before no? ... I don't remember when or where but I think I already heard something about this (no more chip) thing...

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I think this was mentioned before no? ... I don't remember when or where but I think I already heard something about this (no more chip) thing...
SonicFox asked for a no chip kill mechanic in his beta reviews, but we haven't seen or heard anything about NRS adding it until now, afaik.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Is that good?
They need to fix a lot of stuff: broken KBs, Broken Perfect Parry, Broken Breakaway option, irritating zoning-heavy aspects (optional).

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Well at least they didn't necessarily get rid of chip kills but what if I'm in a situation where I want to use my defensive meter for something else instead of a last ditch from getting chipped
Hopefully flawless blocking doesn't count against the "Last Breath" mechanic and eat a defensive bar if that's what you mean? It would be a shame to flawless block and not be able to do your reversal because you just lost your last defensive bar.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Why wouldn’t they just remove chip damage to kill altogether? Instead you remove a defensive option (interactable, flawless block attack, etc.) just because you blocked something?

Honestly, just make up your mind, NRS.

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
Why wouldn’t they just remove chip damage to kill altogether? Instead you remove a defensive option (interactable, flawless block attack, etc.) just because you blocked something?

Honestly, just make up your mind, NRS.
What are you on about? All the meter he spent on surviving the chip came back before the next round start.

And chip kill will never not be a thing in MK. Chip being incredibly strong is a staple of the franchise.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
What are you on about? All the meter he spent on surviving the chip came back before the next round start.

And chip kill will never not be a thing in MK. Chip being incredibly strong is a staple of the franchise.
I’m aware that it comes back. I don’t see why it should cost a resource to begin with. With the amount of teleports and tracking specials in MK, chip kills were long overdue to be removed.

noticed that "Skarlet's defensive meter drains for each hit she blocks that would kill her. Probably as long as you have defensive meter, chip cannot kill you."
Man... I was about to go full SFV-tard then... Until I saw it was tied to defensive meter.

I'm still not convinced it won't be another "artificial hype mechanic" (à la SFV's 0-HP no-chip "diamond guard" crap)... I'll have to play it to test it. However, at least the meter acts as a balancing mechanism for it, and it, therefore, 'should' not prove to be some invincible turtle shell--that ensures low-HP players can sit in the corner and wait to mash out a no-input-command Fatal Blow.

Still, I'm starting to become VERY worried about the direction of this genre: all theses scrub-centric systems that are clearly being introduced to fool E-ports-watching laymen / non-gamers with fake hype, are having the diametric opposite effect for everyone with a half-functioning fighting game brain. First it was dumbing-down or completely removing command inputs and universalising many abilities; then it was non-discriminatory damage scaling that renders complex combos pointless; now it's this near-invincibility at 0-HP garbage (dovetailed with "guts" / damage scaling inversely proportional to remaining HP) that SFV introduced... It has to stop.

They have to draw a distinct line between non-gamer fighting game builds and the gamer fighting game builds of these games -- like MVC3 did with its "Simple Mode", or Ougon / Golden Fantasia with its "Princess Mode"... Otherwise this pandering to the lowest common denominator 'gamer', risks undermining everything the genre stands for. :bk

MK Led

Umbasa
There's nothing else you could use it for because if its not being used to save your life you'd be dead. One thing I would like to know is if you flawless block instead to save yourself from the chip damage then do you get to keep the bar or does this override it?

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

D1 mashing is the tactic when skill fails !
Very interesting! I hope this is in the game and not some equipped skill or some shit. A no-chip mechanic would be excellent for this game, especially with all the teleports and tracking moves.
you must be a noob . Tracking moves . lol you can punish or just block . Dont be mad , gt better .

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Then don't block? From what I understand, Last Breath only kicks in if you were going to die otherwise. The only reason you'd be blocking at 1% in the first place is if you want Last Breath to save you.

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
Ok, this HUGE! I've been dreaming of a mechanic to prevent death by chip damage in MK for years now. Even though 1-bar-per-hit-on-block is not ideal in a game with multi-hittiing strings (looking at you Kung Lao and Kitana), I'll gladly take it!

I really hope this gets front paged, this will probably have a gigantic impact on competitive games!

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
IrishMantis is such a legend. He is the funniest dude... best interviews ever..

But lets talk about foxy... "You don't play to win.... you play to deny victory".... savage truth.

It seems like there might be some sort of new mechanic in the new build of MK11 shown today in the UK.
Isn't this just Perfect Block? Like that uses bars (or has been discussed that it should) and also reduces chip right... maybe making no chip kill as well?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
This...is...FUCKING GENIUS! Oh my god!

Isn't this just Perfect Block? Like that uses bars (or has been discussed that it should) and also reduces chip right... maybe making no chip kill as well?
No, flawless block itself does not drain any meter. That itself did not activate at all, and entirely different notifications popped up, saying Chip Avoided and Last Breath. The DEF meter also completely disappeared when these happened.

Last edited: