What's new

Lack of good Mid attacks

Does anybody think it’s an issue how some characters in this game just straight up lack a decent mid attack that can consistently punish people? I’ve been using Frost mainly since the game dropped, but have dabbled in training mode with others and recognized the lack of mid hitting attacks. So many times have my strings just gotten ducked by people because i cant follow up my down 1 or 3 with a fast start up mid. It’s been infuriating and a blaring issue this early on that, every single character should have a fast mid to consistently punish things. I’ll down 3 somebody and with frost, and with all my hit advantage, I have no option of a fast mid to beat out the opponents incoming down 1. Why is the game like that, I enjoy the game up until the point I realize, everybody can just fucking duck under shit and avoid any semblance of pressure. And the characters who do have decent mids, they’re obviously better, but that’s just an option anybody should have access too. I can understand wanting to change the game from being the rushdown heavy MKX with over heads and lows everywhere, but everyone needs a good mid. Netherrealm Please.

I don't think this is a game-wide thing

Most characters can jail their d1/d3s into a high such that you can do your poke and its impossible to neutral duck the followup.

I noticed Frost can't do this but for the rest of the kast I've tried (Kang, Jacqui, Kitana) you do not need a fast mid to get a gauranteed high followup to a poke.

Does anybody think it’s an issue how some characters in this game just straight up lack a decent mid attack that can consistently punish people? I’ve been using Frost mainly since the game dropped, but have dabbled in training mode with others and recognized the lack of mid hitting attacks. So many times have my strings just gotten ducked by people because i cant follow up my down 1 or 3 with a fast start up mid. It’s been infuriating and a blaring issue this early on that, every single character should have a fast mid to consistently punish things. I’ll down 3 somebody and with frost, and with all my hit advantage, I have no option of a fast mid to beat out the opponents incoming down 1. Why is the game like that, I enjoy the game up until the point I realize, everybody can just fucking duck under shit and avoid any semblance of pressure. And the characters who do have decent mids, they’re obviously better, but that’s just an option anybody should have access too. I can understand wanting to change the game from being the rushdown heavy MKX with over heads and lows everywhere, but everyone needs a good mid. Netherrealm Please.
Take a look at the jailing system. If you’re plus enough on hit then the opponent is jailed and can not do a duck attack. For example you have a move that leaves you at +10. Your high stand 1 is 7 frames. You have 3 frames in between your +10 hit and your S1 where if the opponent tries to duck attack they will get hit.

Take a look at the jailing system. If you’re plus enough on hit then the opponent is jailed and can not do a duck attack.
Im actually not confident this works universally now.

OP mentioned Frost so I actually tried out to double check and sure enough for whatever reason I couldn't get her d3 to jail into her standing 1 (against a Sub Zero recorded to mash out d1s)

Can someone else konfirm or am I tripping?

EDIT

Just went over to the Frost forums and it looks like s1 is known to always whiff on crouch blocking opponents https://testyourmight.com/threads/f2-s1-and-s2-whiff-when-opponent-is-crouch-blocking-is-this-ok.69805/

So I guess that's why it doesn't jail on hit stun

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Frost d3(which is faster than her d1) is +10 so it doesn't jail into nothing directly, but you can go into b12 directly from it and it will beat any 7f jab and its an easy hitconfirm into full combo for her, thats also safe on block if you finish the string(pushes back basically right into b2 range, which is nice).

Frost has a million issues, but the lack of a super fast mid is not the main problem, IMO. If you opponent is constantly counter poking, just back a little to make them whiff and go for b22

Im actually not confident this works universally now.

OP mentioned Frost so I actually tried out to double check and sure enough for whatever reason I couldn't get her d3 to jail into her standing 1 (against a Sub Zero recorded to mash out d1s)

Can someone else konfirm or am I tripping?

EDIT

Just went over to the Frost forums and it looks like s1 is known to always whiff on crouch blocking opponents https://testyourmight.com/threads/f2-s1-and-s2-whiff-when-opponent-is-crouch-blocking-is-this-ok.69805/

So I guess that's why it doesn't jail on hit stun
Huh. Sounds like they need to fix frost’s s1 then. But as other people have mentioned you can always use back 1.

Well, at least Cetrion has range so that's 1/4 lol. Kotal and D'Vorah were the first to pop into mind. Ewww.
They both have range so 1/4 as well lol.

Back to op. Her d3 options are different. Others have to do this as well. Just d3 d4 or d3 b4. Up close is probably her weakest position. If you step back from point blank though her D1 is fantastic.