What's new

Kustom Variations and Tournaments

kcd117

Noob
The way I see it, in the balance department, NRS would have a lot more options to balance the game in a better way if Kustom Variations are allowed.

If a Character is too strong they could look at his base kit, and decide if everything he has is ok or if he has a little too much and a move or two could become abillities instead of base. If what makes him too strong are the moves he can equip but they are not too strong by themselves, just when used in a certain combination, just change them so they take more slots. If a single move is too strong, just balance it. If a certain character is not that good they could do the same thing, they could even add moves like they did for some characters in injustice 2 if they are considered in lack of something.

It also adds longevity to the game. Imagine having a season 2 with new Krushing Blows, Fatalities, Brutalities, Kustomizable Moves for every character... It would give them the power to keep things fresh and interesting for a very long time if they want to.

I really think this approach would avoid the overnerf/overbuff situation and be better for the game in the long run.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
oh snap guys, no need to discuss this any further. NRS just needs to make an "only viable option" variation for everyone & that will be tournament standard...they can probably just remove all the other moves from the game & nobody would notice...no need to worry about it.../s

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Still too much things to balance and memorize. They got rid of the aplified buttons because it was too much to remember, think it’ll be the same case here. Labing one character will take more than usual ( I like that in a way)
Precisely. Such is the hypocrisy of the pro customization variation crowd. They considered memorizing different inputs for amplified moves difficult and pointless, yet they love memorizing all the normal and special moves that a single character is able to equip.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Before I actually played the game, I was definitely 100% against kustom variations for tournament play. For a lot of the same reasons the anti kustom zealots are. That it would take too much time, a lot of MU stuff to learn, etc etc.

After I’ve had so much time with the game, it would be an absolute disgrace for this beautiful and creative new mechanic in MK11 to not be used to its full potential. Although, I am a man of logic and reason. I understand where the zealots are coming from. The time issue is definitely a legitimate concern. Even though there’s no actual evidence that it will be a problem, I can see why they would be hesitant.
I think you are right and right...

basically YES.. it is a tragedy for the kustom variations to not be in competitive play. Foxy did a great post on twitter about this and how it will allow player personality to come out in the game beyond just the roster picks. It would be such a shame for this to be lost.

BUT you are also right he time it takes will be a problem for TOs. I mean EVO and others are balking at FT3 due to time... so how will the extra time add to the event. Remember as far as we know there is no vs screen UI to quickly do this. So you are talking about quitting out to main menus, going through, changing things.. changing things back. People say it is not that slow.. but it really will be.. It only takes a low percentage of event players to take a little to long in those menus, accidentally change game options and have the stream screwed up and all this stuff. To slow it way down.

I want to see kustom variations in competitive play... but NRS HAS TO make a nice quick neat interface to set the move slot things ON the vs screen. Kinda like how you can change buttons on the vs screen. If NRS does this it is no more of a inconvenience than setting buttons.

So this is really up to NRS or not. THEY need to add this feature to the game imo.. or kustom variations need to be banned from events.

my 2 cents.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
I am all for kustom variations in tournament. It's a really innovative system and it'd be awesome to see how differently different pros would play the same characters.

Precisely. Such is the hypocrisy of the pro customization variation crowd. They considered memorizing different inputs for amplified moves difficult and pointless, yet they love memorizing all the normal and special moves that a single character is able to equip.
You still kinda have to memorize all of the normals and special moves anyways, the only difference it's that there might be characters no one would play because of the special moves combination.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Oh, one thing, though: Augments should be disabled for competitive play. Allow cosmetics and custom moves of your choice, but disable augments.
TBH, it's better to disable the kosmetics AND the augments for competitive stuff. We only want the abilities to be competitive. Variations and gear system ruined everything. In the old days, you had ALL the powers in one character.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The concept and/or inputs weren’t difficult, but I for sure felt it was pointless. Not sure, however, how that’s “hypocritical”. In any fighting game you have to memorize your characters toolset as well as most characters. Yeah there’s a little more to memorize with MK11 but it’s not at all difficult. Having unnecessary added inputs to amplify/EX your moves doesn’t make too much since. In fact, it’s interesting you’d call it hypocritical when you’re implying that memorizing all of your characters toolset is challenging. Wouldn’t the inputs for amplified moves be even more you’d have to memorize on top of that?

:confused:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
In any fighting game you have to memorize your characters toolset as well as most characters.
I am aware. So why were you against memorizing more difficult inputs for amplified special moves? "It makes no sense"? To whom? You? You are not presenting a valid argument.

In fact, it’s interesting you’d call it hypocritical when you’re implying that memorizing all of your characters toolset is challenging.
I have seen you demagogue on this issue before. You are arguing semantics. People use adjectives such as "challenging" or "difficult" to describe the original inputs for amplified special moves as NRS had no official name for them. You can call them whatever you wish. However, the reality is that they were more challenging and more difficult to perform than the current amplified moves.

Your argument also begs the question, if you intend to give players the liberty to select moves, why are you against giving players at least an option to select how they would like to perform their amplified moves?

I applaud for @DragonofDadashov24 for being the only person in this thread to think for himself, pointing out your hypocrisy, and go against the mob like mentality that you created.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
If people spent a little less time on adjusting their sponsored moisture-wicking shirts and 5 minute button checks, the custom variation thing wouldn’t be an issue.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I am aware. So why were you against memorizing more difficult inputs for amplified special moves? "It makes no sense"? To whom? You? You are not presenting a valid argument.
I’m not the one who is against the khange, you are. I’m kompletely fine with the decision NRS made to revert back the amplified inputs. You’re the one acting like it’s the end of MK as we know it. So the burden of proof lies on you. I don’t have to do anything, as I didn’t komplain either way. I didn’t say a single word when they required multiple inputs to execute. Whatever NRS decides I’m on board with if it makes sense, and the decision made sense. It’s when people like you threw a fit after the decision was made that I khimed in supporting the decision.

And besides that, I’ve already presented a valid argument anyway. Remember? Then you started throwing around ad hominems because you didn’t like what I was saying. And in the same post, you presented a strawman argument.

I have seen you demagogue on this issue before. You are arguing semantics. People use adjectives such as "challenging" or "difficult" to describe the original inputs for amplified special moves as NRS had no official name for them. You can call them whatever you wish. However, the reality is that they were more challenging and more difficult to perform than the current amplified moves.

Your argument also begs the question, if you intend to give players the liberty to select moves, why are you against giving players at least an option to select how they would like to perform their amplified moves?
I’m not against that, nor have I ever said I was. Again, you’re trying to argue over something I’ve never said. If NRS wants to add the option for players to over komplicate something that shouldn’t be komplicated, then by all means, I support it. I really don’t understand why someone would deliberately want that, but it would be kompletely fine with me.

I applaud for @DragonofDadashov24 for being the only person in this thread to think for himself, pointing out your hypocrisy, and go against the mob like mentality that you created.
Stop projecting Dave, it’s unbecoming. If your entire premise for more difficult amplified moves is it being harder to learn a kharacter because there’s more memorization required, you should be totally on board with kustom variations as they do just that. It seems to me you’re still salty about the amplified input khange, and for some reason are attributing the khange to my responsibility. Which I already stated, I didn’t have a problem with either way. It’s after they khanged it back and the ridiculous doomsday prophesying by yourself that I felt kompelled to respond to.

If you want to petition for the option for multiple inputs in order to perform the amplify mechanism, then I kan support that. As more options a player has the better. If you want to petition for it not to be an option and for it to be required as the ONLY option, I kannot support that. But if for some reason NRS makes that decision, I will not komplain and act like it’s going to ruin the game and MK forever.