What's new

Kung Lao: The Most Underrated Character in MK11

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Let's talk positively for a second. Let's talk about Kung Lao.

People largely consider him to be a low tier character, maybe even bottom five. I'm not at all trying to claim he's the secret dark horse that'll penetrate the S-Tier, but I think people who say Kung Lao is trash are focusing on the wrong aspects of him. He's a solid mid-tier character, and with a few minor quality of life changes he would easily crack the top ten. I think he's a good main for anyone not making a living off E-Sports, especially if you have a secondary pocket character.

He's a high risk, high reward character with extremely strong punishes and good setups.

PROS:

Combos:
Kung Lao's combos have a lot of great benefits. They're high damage, with every touch getting at least 30%, usually more. They offer good corner carry and decent knockdown situations that allow you to go for okizeme, KB setups, or even meaty teleports depending on the situation.

Great Mids:

F4 is a 13-frame mid. It may not have spectacular range, but it's hit confirmable into his highest damage BNB combos, only -3 on block, giving you a decent opportunity to steal your turn back or block a counter poke to retain frame advantage, and gives a great knockdown in case you either don't cancel into spin or they only get hit by the second hit. It's also great combo filler.

F1 is a 10-frame mid with solid range for its speed. It's -5, which isn't amazing, but the follow up f12 has a long enough gap that gives the illusion they can counter poke, making it a good stagger mixup between F12 or F1 Throw. F1,3 is heavily minus but leads to a high-damage combo, so be sure to only use this if it's on a punish or you know they'll counter poke after F1.

B32 is a low, but it's a safe, easy to confirm string that leads to good damage.

Assorted Strings and Normals:

Divekick is a great, fast divekick. It's heavily unsafe, but jump back divekick is great for punishing advancing strings, D4 pokes, and errant jump-ins. Its hitbox is also very strong. I don't think it's at all possible to anti-air this.

34 ends in a low that has excellent range and is only -2 on block. Against people who are playing the footsie game, this can be a very sneaky low to land a good knock down.

21212 has its own section later.

D3 is an excellent low poke, D4 is also pretty good

Z-Hat:

A move that people largely thought was borderline useless on release, Z-Hat ended up being a surprisingly versatile projectile. While the startup is long, the screen real-estate it takes up is both large and unique. It remains active for a long time, so much so that it can even situationally anti-air opponents who have already successfully landed a jump-in attack. KL also has access to some difficult, but strong setups off it. If you manage to connect F4 within a couple frames of them hitting the ground (hint: dashing after the spin can help time it) and cancel into Z-Hat, the move will clip wakeup attacks. Amplifying this allows you to connect a F1 xx Spin for a 20% combo. Gambling on this setup, what would have been a ~33% combo became a 43% setup for the same bar.

If people attempt to roll away from the mixup, canceling Z-Hat and dashing forward can offer a throw punish on forward roll or a F13 or F2 punish on back roll. The second hit of F1 will whiff if your timing is just a little off, but F214 will still connect and give you a KB combo.

Even better if the opponent just does wakeup block you'll have plus frames after the Amp Z-Hat, so you can go for a mixup. These setups can be very hard to pull off, but they're always safe if you don't over commit to the follow up and lead to great punishes. If you aren't able to apply the mixup, you could still just use this to get back into their face.

Fun:

Mortal Kombat 11 seems to have an issue with characters being fairly one-dimensional, but Kung Lao is one of those who actually has a healthy sense of self-expression and versatility. His kit lends itself to conditioning and mind games. He can play solid for most of a set, but suddenly divert from his patterns and turn on the mix machine, stuffing wakeups and landing fat KBs. I find this to be the case with many lower-tier characters in fighting games. They aren't optimized, there isn't a generally accepted way to play them. It's up to the player to find their favorite uses for the moves.

CONS:

F214:

Kung Lao's F21 string does have its uses, but it also has major flaws. The string has decent range, so it works as a whiff punisher, and there's a great Krushing Blow attached to it. However, every hit of this string is punishable on block. Not only that, but at the very tip of the F2, the second hit frequently whiffs, meaning it's not reliable for the use it's advertised for. If I could only have one minor change to this character, it would be for F21 to link at all ranges.

Teleport:

KL's teleport is very telegraphed. It's pretty much useless in neutral, as it's very easy to convert a jab check into a float punish. It gets clipped by projectiles too, so it's unreliable for anti-zoning tools. In Oki situations, it loses to most U3s and trades or loses to many U2s. If the opponent is completely devoid of meter, then applying the mixup can be useful, as the throw offers a great knockdown and crossup setup. If the opponent has the habit of using delayed wakeup, Teleport 4 (WU TANG) can be used to get plus frames. The primary ways I use this are either to bait uppercuts or using the amplified version to fake a desperation teleport to close out the round. It does have uses, but it's not very reliable. And it's not really supposed to be used to threaten in the neutral like Scorpion's. That WU TANG KB is also extremely hard to get.

Meter Hungry:

Kung Lao needs barrrrzzzzz. His meterless combo damage is actually decently high, in the mid 20s, but to do a full combo then do a setup that may get blocked costs both bars. Luckily, he does have a kit to play solidly without meter.

Difficult Match-Ups

Geras can beat 90% of his setups and can apply F212 for free, Jade is extremely difficult to get in on when Glow is active, Jacqui can easily blow up his neutral. Kung Lao has his share of really difficult matchups, which is why it may be beneficial to have a pocket character who at least competes well. I feel like Johnny Cage or Liu Kang can cover his bad matchups.

Outclassed:

This is my actual number one problem with MK11, but he's another victim of the "Why play this character when you can play this character?" Scorpion fits a similar archetype, but with comparable damage (better with buff), better range, better staggers, better teleport, actual mixups. Realistically, the only reason to play Kung Lao is because you like him.

No Buzzsaw or GKL in tournament variations:

These moves are actually really neat and it's a shame we got the Orbiting Hat instead. Speaking of which...

Orbiting Hat:

I don't really have to say anything about this, do I? Extremely meter intensive, -7, limited uses, removes certain strings while active. It can keep KL safe, but if you keep using orbiting hat to make F21 and F13 safe and lose the round because you have no meter, that's your own fault.

Omega Hat:

This is the worst special move in the game.

FAKE CONS:

F21212

This string starts with three highs that don't jail. People see that this string is +1 on block and that's all they see. Nevermind that this is a 9-frame punisher that leads to 33%, nevermind that you can jail into this off D3, nevermind that the first two hits have surprisingly long range, a receded hurt box, and low whiff recovery, and can be confirmed into Amp Spin for 31%, or that finishing the string when the hat comes back is uninterruptable. If the full string was -2, nobody would complain about it.

Honestly, I'm sort of glad this string works this way. If 21212 jailed, it's all KL players would be doing. Besides, what does being +1 point blank truly offer you? A chance to D1 them first? People poke all the time when they're -1.

Dive Kick KB

Why don't you try going for knockdown pressure first instead of jumping around like a dumbass hoping they'll wakeup attack? This is a great KB for capitalizing on conditioning, and it's not one that you can just get because you want it at the time.

CONCLUSION

If one were to rank the starting roster in five tiers of five characters, Kung Lao would probably end up in the fourth tier, perhaps higher depending on how the other mid-tier characters develop. He's a pretty solid character overall, and unfairly disregarded. He doesn't have much in the way of exceptionally strong or abuseable tools, and he can't just throw out his moves with reckless abandon. He requires you to play solid, which is the worst thing that could ever possibly happen. WHERE'S HIS OVERHEAD, BOON!? THAT'S THE ONLY WAY A CHARACTER CAN BE GOOD, BOON

Last edited:
You pretty much nailed it. I just want to add a few things to what you've said. The outclassed thing is pretty true and scorpion is a good example. So we have a mid range footsie character, compare the range of our strings to kabals and then look at kabals frame data. Safe on every string, only punishable when he forces a mixup (and he has low/overhead mixups) as well as better zoning tools. Kabals 2 is +3 on block, where KL's is neutral. He also has f3 which is +6 on block. Add to that Kabal's better zoning tools and it's clear that he is the easier to use character with a similar archetype.
Only the first 2 hits of 2,1 jail after a d3 is landed. Even when you jail into 2,1 the third hit can still be neutral ducked and punished. It's never actually safe to do 2,1 after a landed d3.
2,1 is a pretty good string, though. I think of it as a mid screen projectile that can lead to a combo inside of its max range and his fastest full combo punish. B4 is actually kind of a mid screen projectile with the second hit a mid and safe on block.
I see a lot of KL players trying to force the f1,3 or f1,3~Spin! Mixup when b3,2 is pretty safe at -7 and has the same mixup. It is 16 frames though compared to 10.

Do I think Kung Lao is underrated? It depends on who you ask. Some people have him at bottom 3 and some people have him in the same tier as Liu kang. Personally I think he's in between those as a low mid tier character. His punishable strings really limit what you can do in neutral. Even when the opponent surrenders their options and just turtles Lao is left with only a couple of viable options. He has to go poke for poke with f1, f4, b3 or down pokes until he can get a throw

And yeah, omega hat has got to be the biggest waste of a special move in any tournament variation

Last edited:

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
Not a bad write up. Most common complaints I get from other KL players is how unsafe he is. But then they go to say they throw out his f21 string all the time..... I only use it for whiffs now into kB. If you’re not using f1 most of the match, you’re going to lose most likely.

Nice read. One of Kung Laos strongest tools is amp teleport and now one talks about it. Understand that people are reacting to the initial animation not him popping up from the ground.

In comparison to scorpion he can use amp to get more damage but stays punishable. KL uses the amp to land a 5050 that's safe or gets a free jump in once they start respecting teleport. It also opens up regular teleport since it punishes D1 reactions.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Nice read. One of Kung Laos strongest tools is amp teleport and now one talks about it. Understand that people are reacting to the initial animation not him popping up from the ground.

In comparison to scorpion he can use amp to get more damage but stays punishable. KL uses the amp to land a 5050 that's safe or gets a free jump in once they start respecting teleport. It also opens up regular teleport since it punishes D1 reactions.
It's really good for mind games. Eventually people will start jumping away from it to try and punish it, so you can come out with Teleport 2 instantly. There might be some ways to pick up a combo from people trying to jump away with Teleport 1.

The only issue is it takes a bar away from a Z-Hat setup or Amp Spin, but his meterless damage is pretty decent. If you're not getting the hits and you need to make them start playing more actively though, Amp Teleport is a good way to do it.

Ultimate big brain play I've done was someone read that I was gonna delay teleport and I stayed in the ground for like three seconds

I'm honestly interested in starting a living Kung Lao guide but I sometimes have a hard time deciding what's 100% fraudulent or unsustainable

I like z hat a lot but the set up yields another block throw attempt. Throw dead ends into neutral which is fine. It just punishes people panicking most.

Right now I'm allocating a lot more to amp tele and divekicks because getting a solid combo hit is hard to do against competent players. I just use the z setups without amp because it's the same damage with potential to hit for more baseline.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
I like z hat a lot but the set up yields another block throw attempt. Throw dead ends into neutral which is fine. It just punishes people panicking most.

Right now I'm allocating a lot more to amp tele and divekicks because getting a solid combo hit is hard to do against competent players. I just use the z setups without amp because it's the same damage with potential to hit for more baseline.
I've been working on getting the Amp Z-Hat to clip a wakeup attack, but I imagine people who know the matchup will try and roll out. I have the timing to cancel and punish the roll with F214, but I barely ever get just F21. I play stick and that dash is really hard for me to time

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
Finally. Yea lao could you use a bit of help but he's not trash tier. He's also incredibly enjoyable to play

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Look every character in this game can be used effectively online but only some have all the tools to compete in majors.
Kung Lao is not one of them.
My best argument for what Lao needs adjustments could be that top tiers do what he does but better but instead I'll say:
Characters shouldn't be reduced to a couple Normals/buttons with most of thier movelist being highly gimmicky or completely unusable in competitive setting.
F1
B32
F12
D4

Are all good buttons and effective but many characters have so much more than a couple safe buttons to use. Compare it to any A Tier character and you will see it's insaine to use Lao over: Geras, Erron, Noob, Sonya, SubZero Scorpion, Baraka, Kitana, Liu Kang, Kabal, Jacqui and Jax.

The only reason I'd pick Lao would be because I love him. Not cuz he has an equal change at netting that W.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Look every character in this game can be used effectively online but only some have all the tools to compete in majors.
Kung Lao is not one of them.
My best argument for what Lao needs adjustments could be that top tiers do what he does but better but instead I'll say:
Characters shouldn't be reduced to a couple Normals/buttons with most of thier movelist being highly gimmicky or completely unusable in competitive setting.
F1
B32
F12
D4

Are all good buttons and effective but many characters have so much more than a couple safe buttons to use. Compare it to any A Tier character and you will see it's insaine to use Lao over: Geras, Erron, Noob, Sonya, SubZero Scorpion, Baraka, Kitana, Liu Kang, Kabal, Jacqui and Jax.

The only reason I'd pick Lao would be because I love him. Not cuz he has an equal change at netting that W.
Looking at the list of moves u put that are supposed to be all good or safe and forget something like F4,D3, F13.... i can tell ur not really a kung lao player

Looking at the list of moves u put that are supposed to be all good or safe and forget something like F4,D3, F13.... i can tell ur not really a kung lao player
He might've just forgot to name a few off the top of his head. No need to call the guy out as a fake player.
The thing is that those moves are good, except f1,3. -19 on block? Spend a bar to still get blown up on block? I've talked about this move before and you can react to a special cancel or raw f1,3. You might not see it now, but it's there and a glaring flaw when taken advantage of. Even if the opponent doesn't get a punish on the -19, you have to deal with their options. F1,(3) is also flawless blockable (hard read, I know). This is the same thing with ALL of kung lao's buttons. Good but not really good. Negative on block, now deal with the opponents options.
I'd love to see the person who takes kung lao up against the best players. Even if someone puts in the time to make kung lao look good on the big stage, people will actually explore the matchup and this character will be put exactly in his place.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I simply forgot to write F4 and his other poke. I am a huge Kung Lao fan but mostly use Kotal but I'm perfectly capable of understanding his weaknesses. My point is that most if his move list is far too risky compared to A Tiers options.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Tom brady was playing socalzod who played hat tricks. He showed how to effectively use f13. Sure u gotta take risks but if u dont u can just use f4 if u want a save hitcomfirmable launcher.
I dont say hes as good as sonya but most ppl here think he sucks because he has unsafe strings and no overhead. Just stop playing him lîke in mkx.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Tom brady was playing socalzod who played hat tricks. He showed how to effectively use f13. Sure u gotta take risks but if u dont u can just use f4 if u want a save hitcomfirmable launcher.
I dont say hes as good as sonya but most ppl here think he sucks because he has unsafe strings and no overhead. Just stop playing him lîke in mkx.
Although SoCal is a great kung Lao, the f13 into zhat on block is a complete gimmick he was getting away with. Once you are looking out for it, you can easily react and punish the start up.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Although SoCal is a great kung Lao, the f13 into zhat on block is a complete gimmick he was getting away with. Once you are looking out for it, you can easily react and punish the start up.
F13 into zhat is to bait out pokes. Ofcourse its reactable but he mixed it up by cancelling into tele/regular hat/mb spin/ u2 just to make oponent hesitant to press buttons.

Carl

Noob
Lao in general doesnt play pressure nor whiff punisher.

21212 is supposed to jail like any other move on block and yes us lao mains would use it like crazy because its his staple move.
Also since it seems like a punish tool at times the opponent will slightly be out of range due to different block stun if your crouching or not and will whiff then you get d2 kb.
He has no mix therefore it merits that 21212 should jail.

F13 is a high risk high reward string that shouldn't be abused as its -19 and easily punished.

B3 at 16f is decent but hard to get out at times due to pace of the match and b32 has wayyy too much recovery so you gotta pick your moments with it.

F4 is not really designed to be used as a starter but more of a combo extender. Smarter players wont let you walk up and f4 from my experience so it will eventually die out.

F21 at -13 is terrible. It should be safer to allow us to play whiff punishing because right now hes not a good whiff punisher unlike cassie or so.

The only good thing i find with lao is f12, divekick and d4.

Everyone sees the tools but when they actually play him and see your restricted then you can only understand until then i say.

Fix 21212 should jail on block and i dont care if they remove the hat toss.
F21 at least should be -7 not -13
Orbiting hats need some rework instead of costing 2 bars for 12 hit advantage and losing your strings.