What's new

General/Other - Tempest Kung Lao Tempest Variation General Discussion

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
well, pick a starter (b2,f2,11212, b12..) into DB1, 44 run, b321xxspin, jk/dk, 21

or, b321xxDB1 run, b32xxspin, jk/dk, 21

i really reccomend you to practice the 44 link after DB1, otherwise, you're leaving a huge amount of damage on the table

myri

Time Warrior
There is a second run after the spin that you have to do in order to make 21 hit midscreen.

I.e. b2~db1, 44, rc, b321~df1, rc, jk~dk, 21

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
There is a second run after the spin that you have to do in order to make 21 hit midscreen.

I.e. b2~db1, 44, rc, b321~df1, rc, jk~dk, 21
SON OF A BIZNITCH. Now I know. I thought I was just friggen handicapped or something, lol. Oddly enough, Ive gotten it to land a handful of times without the run.. BUt I might have been missing the timing of db1 x 44, so the combo was only actually 44 x RC x B321 etc, maybe the gravity or juggle properties are different in that situation, causing the 21 to land without a RC.

learn 11212 string, is your most meter building pressure string.
Been working on it, its an odd string. I just hit 11 then slide my finger from 212 then around to 4 (when 4 is relevant) but doing that makes getting the DB1 out a little difficult for me. More practice,

I do appreciate the info guys, very much so. I have awful execution, so this is taking me forever, but hopefully in a few days I'll start get to get at least enough consistency to *play* the damn character.

Also, what is the two bar ex teleport combo?

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
SON OF A BIZNITCH. Now I know. I thought I was just friggen handicapped or something, lol. Oddly enough, Ive gotten it to land a handful of times without the run.. BUt I might have been missing the timing of db1 x 44, so the combo was only actually 44 x RC x B321 etc, maybe the gravity or juggle properties are different in that situation, causing the 21 to land without a RC.

Been working on it, its an odd string. I just hit 11 then slide my finger from 212 then around to 4 (when 4 is relevant) but doing that makes getting the DB1 out a little difficult for me. More practice,

I do appreciate the info guys, very much so. I have awful execution, so this is taking me forever, but hopefully in a few days I'll start get to get at least enough consistency to *play* the damn character.

There is tones of them. My advice, try the ones that are around the forum, see what fits your execution. With in time you can add modification

EntropicByDesign

There is tones of them. My advice, try the ones that are around the forum, see what fits your execution. With in time you can add modification
Yeah. I'm getting to the point I'm about consistent enough to play him..not to win and certainly not to make ass of myself, but enough that there is a chance I'll be able to combo lol.

B321 db1 RC f1 spin jk Dk 21 is what I've been doing mid screen and I have it 7-8 outa 10. It's 31% and removed the b23 link that has haunted me in that BnB. I'll trade 1% for the consistency - for now.

(Starter) db1 f23 spin jk Dk 21 is obviously pretty easy.. generous timing and I have it pretty much down, though I occasionally bork up the 21. 8-9/10

The harder 44 stuff I'll keep plugging away at. It's a huge damage increase, way too much to just not do. 1-3% I can kinda write off and say no biggie, but 4+ is getting in to must learn territory. The 2f or whatever link after the db1 isn't a huge issue.. I mean, I'm missing it a TON but that's static timing and will come with.enoigh repetition. I don't have too much trouble with the 44 RC b321 either, it's the jk Dk RC 21 that is giving me fits, not that it's been pointed out to me.. it looks like I was doing it super super late though and you can input it really early, so hopefully that will help.

'specialty' stuff like two bar ex tele into ex throw combos I'm not worried about right now. I have a lot.to learn and get down before they become relevant. that said, the potato version of just b321 spin jk Dk 21 is pretty damn easy and does 40%.

Quick question, Laos seem to throw a lot. foxy obviously is never not throwing ever. Is Laos throw somewhere better in terms.of frames and such than other characters or is this just a preference kinda thing?

myri

Time Warrior
After ex grab from ex teleport, midscreen you do b321~spin, rc, jk~dk, 21. In the corner, b321~spin, njp, jk~dk, 21.

Some other stuff, from a grounded b321~hat spin you can do rc b32~spin or even easier b12~spin, rc, jk~dk, 21.

The reason Lao needs to throw so often is because he doesn't have the best mixup options. So staggers into strings or staggers into throws is how you'll get a lot of damage.

EntropicByDesign

After ex grab from ex teleport, midscreen you do b321~spin, rc, jk~dk, 21. In the corner, b321~spin, njp, jk~dk, 21.

Some other stuff, from a grounded b321~hat spin you can do rc b32~spin or even easier b12~spin, rc, jk~dk, 21.

The reason Lao needs to throw so often is because he doesn't have the best mixup options. So staggers into strings or staggers into throws is how you'll get a lot of damage.

Gotcha, ty

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Quick question, Laos seem to throw a lot. foxy obviously is never not throwing ever. Is Laos throw somewhere better in terms.of frames and such than other characters or is this just a preference kinda thing?
This is justa preference thing, but its something to take on board. His gameplan to throw a lot is something I've worked into mine as it opens up more doors for combo opportunities, which with Lao is pretty big. It works with every other character as well, people don't realise how important throws are. My advice is to throw a lot, as long as you aren't insanely predictable they'll add up.

EntropicByDesign

This is justa preference thing, but its something to take on board. His gameplan to throw a lot is something I've worked into mine as it opens up more doors for combo opportunities, which with Lao is pretty big. It works with every other character as well, people don't realise how important throws are. My advice is to throw a lot, as long as you aren't insanely predictable they'll add up.

Thank you for the advice. My execution is about to the point of taking him in to actual matches so its time to start practicing the throw game.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Thank you for the advice. My execution is about to the point of taking him in to actual matches so its time to start practicing the throw game.
Yeah, his throw game is one of his strongest things. Once you establish the constant threat of throws, you open up people to getting hit trying to poke or neutral duck, which is exactly what you want.

llabslb

R1D1_998
What are your general bnbs for a corner switch combo off hat spin. At the moment I'm using:

B12 SPIN, RUN (side switch), S1 JK DIVE KICK 21/ETC

Depending on the starter the damage output will range from 24% to 26%, If anyone has got some stuff (preferably ending in 21) then let me know ;)

kingjack21

When's Mahvel
So, this is super delayed but if you have trouble with beating out armoured wake ups (looking at you Liu Kang), end your combos with 112124 spin, then immediately start 112124 again, it breaks most of the armor that beats the hard knock down (2,1) into 112124. It works 100% of the time against the Liu Kang dragon's wrath wake up.

Damn Liu Kang players always wake up with that move when they have meter..

"Its safe" they think ┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴┬┴

This only works in the corner.

kingjack21

When's Mahvel
What are your general bnbs for a corner switch combo off hat spin. At the moment I'm using:

B12 SPIN, RUN (side switch), S1 JK DIVE KICK 21/ETC

Depending on the starter the damage output will range from 24% to 26%, If anyone has got some stuff (preferably ending in 21) then let me know ;)
I think thats the max meterless damage one, ive been using that one for years lol