Who do you think is in?

• Kung Lao

Votes: 64 86.5%
  • Kung Jin

Votes: 10 13.5%

• Total voters

Might-Taro 19

by each death, we learn more..
I honestly think the steam achievements is saying kung lao plus we didn't even see kung jin in the story trailer. Safe to assume Kung jin is out in this game which I would be grateful since I really didn't like the character. his design looked boring and man oh man night wolf is way better in my opinion.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Why make a poll on this site when the fandom is so nostalgia drunk and against the idea of polishing and improving new characters the mere idea of including someone with room to grow over an old character we’ve seen do the same shit for years, is considered obscene by most.

The results won’t be a surprise, dude.

I hope it’s Jin, as far as playing him he wasnt my style in X, but I want to see what else they can do with him now gameplay and story wise.

I hope all four of the new heroes come back.

Might-Taro 19

by each death, we learn more..
Why make a poll on this site when the fandom is so nostalgia drunk and against the idea of polishing and improving new characters the mere idea of including someone with room to grow over an old character we’ve seen do the same shit for years, is considered obscene by most.

The results won’t be a surprise, dude.

I hope it’s Jin, as far as playing him he wasnt my style in X, but I want to see what else they can do with him now gameplay and story wise.

I hope all four of the new heroes come back.

Terrible idea, I barely liked any of the newcomers or kids from Mkx. Mortal kombat should be " Mortal Kombat" the feeling of the series is differing into a street fighter 5 type of thing. I do not really like it when they go too far with adding new things. Like okay Ed boon i get that you want to make your new games as different as possible, but man your pushing it a little too far..

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Mortal kombat should be " Mortal Kombat" the feeling of the series is differing into a street fighter 5 type of thing. I do not really like it when they go too far with adding new things. Like okay Ed boon i get that you want to make your new games as different as possible, but man your pushing it a little too far..

Please just go play MK3 forever then, new games are for new content, a creatively stagnating series is a dead series and this is not a series that needs to die.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Kung Lao was shown in the trailer, it would be ridiculous for him not to be in the starting roster. Also, I'm not so sure all combat kids will be returning, the only confirmation we got were Jacqui and Cass. They may decide to put the other two in DLC's and instead fill main roster spots with classic characters.

I think that would be a good move, but I guess we'll know more a bit later.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I like Kung Lao. He's cool.

But I'd like to see what they can do with Kung Jin. I think he's an interesting character and I'd like to see more of him.

We've kinda already seen what they could do with Kung Lao, unless they're gonna do something drastic with him. And it doesn't seem like that's gonna be the case.

kevkopdx

Noob
Personally I loved Kung Jin, he was fun to play and had a pretty cool move set across variations. I wonder what opinion people would have if he wasn’t so good out of the gate.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Itll be Kung Lao. He's story relevant. I will say though, all this vitriol thrown at the new characters is absurd. You're bitter about MKX. I feel you. But whose fault is it? The new characters, or all the fucking slots that went to B movie horror icons and fucking Bo Rai Cho.

Some peoples thinking is so risk adverse and backwards.

It's clear that if a character doesn't work in their debut, you either A) abandon the character entirely (3D era anyone?) Or B) redesign and revamp them so they resonate with a new audience.

Your precious gray black ninjas have done fuck all to deserve a roster spot in the new timeline. They'll be in the DLC so chill.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Itll be Kung Lao. He's story relevant. I will say though, all this vitriol thrown at the new characters is absurd. You're bitter about MKX. I feel you. But whose fault is it? The new characters, or all the fucking slots that went to B movie horror icons and fucking Bo Rai Cho.

Some peoples thinking is so risk adverse and backwards.

It's clear that if a character doesn't work in their debut, you either A) abandon the character entirely (3D era anyone?) Or B) redesign and revamp them so they resonate with a new audience.

Your precious gray black ninjas have done fuck all to deserve a roster spot in the new timeline. They'll be in the DLC so chill.
And it should be noted that “A” should be into “B”, most of those characters do have potential to be made either not boring or not shitty, it’s just a matter of how and when.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Lao is 100x better. Master of the flying guillotine vs weirdly shaped dragon staff bow guy.

Why do you need Kung Jin when you have young Liu Kang and Kung Lao again? Jin has lost his purpose (although I’m not quite clear what that was). Was he supposed to replace Liu Kang?

Lokheit

Noob
New =/= worth including.

Kung Lao always had a special swag that few characters have.

Kung Jin on the other hand bored most of the audience with his bitchy self-entitled personality and wasn't considered too cool to begin with.

Of course there is room for improvement, but if you give most of the audience a classic legend they like and a newbie they can't stand, they'll prefer more epicness from the legend over giving an opportunity to shine to the boring newbie they didn't like the first time.

People love watching repeated old episodes of the Simpsons even when they know all the lines.

PS: Also the weird staff is too overcomplicated to be an iconic weapon.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Please just go play MK3 forever then, new games are for new content, a creatively stagnating series is a dead series and this is not a series that needs to die.
I think it's pretty safe that most of us fell in love with Mortal Kombat due to iconic characters such as Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Mileena and many others. And many of those characters happen to be ninjas and other fancy archetypes, which had tons and tons of style and coolness to them.
No one in their right mind would say that someone like Cassie Cage or Jacqui Briggs have nearly as much style and coolness to them as your Scorpions and Mileenas.

I have nothing against new characters in franchises. I have nothing against new characters in Mortal Kombat. My favorites (Smoke, Noob Saibot and Rain) were also all new characters at one point. But they were all badass ninjas with cool looks and powers. Style and coolness overload. So they were destined to succeed, because that's what the majority of people likes. And that's also the reason why everyone always wants to see them in Mortal Kombat.
Cassie Cage, Takeda, Jacqui Briggs and Kung Jin however? Eh. Out of them all I personally like Takeda the most, because he is closest to what I've learned to love about Mortal Kombat. I couldn't care less about the others, because they're so basic.

And mind you that I'm mostly talking about the characters as "functions". I'm not saying that they have terrible personalities or are badly written characters or whatever. They do look bland compared to many other MK characters, but what really breaks it for me is that they lack anything special, which captivates my imagination. Smoke becomes sentient smoke. Noob Saibot shoots shadows. Rain traps you in water bubbles, shoots lightning and kicks you across the world. What does Cassie Cage do? She shoots her guns, kicks and copies her dad. What does Jacqui do? She shoots her rockets, punches and copies her dad. What does Kung Jin do? He shoots arrows and copies his cousin.

But at the same time what does D'Vorah do? She summons bugs, sprays venom, uses spikes hidden inside her body and much more. That's awesome. What does Takeda do? He uses deadly metal whips and teleports around. That's awesome. What does Erron Black do? He looks like a cowboy ninja and that's already more than enough. So new characters can be done right.
If Jacqui is in the game, then she needs to step up their game big time, otherwise people will continue complaining. And rightfully so. You calling them stupid won't make any of it less true.

Ermac Smoke

Smoky Soul
Kung Lao of course, he has much more style, "background" and charisma, he's part of the history of Mortal Kombat. When we have seen the release of MKII, the question don't even arise although I rarely play with him since 3D.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Kung Lao all the way .... he is much better character, and his gameplay is much more interesting to watch .... Kung Jin can appear in MK 12, no problem with that, but, for MK 11, Kung Lao is high preferred instead