What's new

Kung Lao Discussion Thread

I think if 12 is +, Lao would be BROKEN. + on block autoshimmy that leads into OS full string on hit? Idk if Lao really needs anything lol. Maybe the Order of Light Variation

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Make f4 into 2 hits that can be staggered. Example: make the input f43 make it -4 and -7 respectfully. Imagine mentally pittbulling ppl with the first hit of f4 and they are afraid of the second hit opening up mind games like f4 f4 grab f4 f43 or f4 jump or short hop. Make s3 a mid. Add chain fist to his 12 string. Much like how Johnny has 2 444 and f3 444. Lao stagger with 12 would be great for example 12 into grab 12 chain (+1) or 12 into 12. Man I hope nrs hear this.
IDGAF about what ppl think. Every other character fourms is teeming with life while Lao fourms are dead AF. We are always quiet and accept what we have while kitana got there voices heard and she got new toys but here we are passive and shit. I'm sick of it honestly and I'm done being silent.

Zviko

Noob
The only thing Lao needs is 21 not whiffing on crouch blocking opponents so he can do something with the only + frames he has. Everything else is variation specific. Lotus already has Orbiting Hat to be safe. The other 2 need something else. I don't know about V3 cause it looks like crap anyway but the Z-Hat one needs slight change with how Z-Hat works. Maybe they could add 2 separate amp windows. If you amp it at the startup it goes out immediately, it's -7 and it takes 2 bars just like Orbiting Hat. If you delay the amp it works the same as now.

just_2swift

The only thing Lao needs is 21 not whiffing on crouch blocking opponents so he can do something with the only + frames he has.
They already said that that string is meant for punishment. That's why I mentioned adding the chain fist to his 12. Like how Johnny has his 444 off 2 and f3.

Zviko

Noob
They already said that that string is meant for punishment.
BS. They didn't intentionally make it so 21 whiffs and make the whole string +1. Just like any other high attack in the game that whiffs on crouch blocking. And there's A LOT of them. They are just too lazy to fix them.

just_2swift

BS. They didn't intentionally make it so 21 whiffs and make the whole string +1. Just like any other high attack in the game that whiffs on crouch blocking. And there's A LOT of them. They are just too lazy to fix them.
That's what I'm saying. Move the chain fist to a more serviceable string. Doesn't make sense to have frame advantage on something like that and can't use it for that purpose.

Zviko

Noob
That's what I'm saying. Move the chain fist to a more serviceable string. Doesn't make sense to have frame advantage on something like that and can't use it for that purpose.
Why do the extra work? String is perfectly fine. Just fix the whiff lol.

Here's how 21 doesn't whiff: you jail into it with d3. But what if they get hit by d3 but then block? Then you're at +1, or you throw them.

Kung Lao has legit issues, but people insisting on using 21 at the worst times is a player issue. Yes, I wish NRS followed its own rules (low blocks should get hit by highs), but then it wouldn't be NRS.

Last edited:

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: PlayingNeutral
Here's how 21 doesn't whiff: you jail into it with d3. But what if they get hit by d3 but then block? Then you're at +1, or you throw them.

Kung Lao has legit issues, but people insisting on using 21 at the worst times is a player issue. Yes, I wish NRS followed its own rules (low blocks should get hit by highs), but then it wouldn't be NRS.
21 is on useful as a punish that is it. You cant throw it out in neutral and most of the time its a bad punish depending on how close you are; you will probably eat a d2.
D3 into special move is gimmick. Unless your d3 hit. There is no reason for a player to block any way but low against lao.

Here is where you are not putting an eye to. 21 is the beginning of his full string which has three different paths.
or
The whole string(ends in punch)or the one that ends in 4.
Meaning because 21 is useless those other three strings are useless.

Meaning:
21/214/full string that ends in punch/full string that ends in 4 are useless.

Against a person who knows the lao mu...which is everyone. I'm talking people who really play the game..

You will never be able to use that string. What you were hinting at is situational.

Also it seems comfusing what you are saying; are you saying 21~d3? Because the chances of you landing the 21 are slim you cant use it as a meaty because they can fast get up crouch and d2 you.

21 is used to space against few certain characters so you can get in or full combo punish from up close.

The most annoying thing about lao that needs to be changed is 212 (HIGH,HIGH,HIGH)
I find it hard to believe that that never got touched...such an ugly string hit poperty.

Last edited:
Also it seems comfusing what you are saying; are you saying 21~d3? Because the chances of you landing the 21 are slim you cant use it as a meaty because they can fast get up crouch and d2 you.
That is a lot of text to say that you don't know what jailing is. If you want to use 21 as a neutral tool, you have to hit them with d3 first, which makes them stand up for 10 frames, which is enough for your 2 to come out and hit them.

Last edited:

Zviko

Noob
21 doesn't jail, that's the problem. 2 does but not the rest. Obviously on hit everything hits but why risk it when you have 121 - great shimmy and os.

That's probably their reason not to fix 21 whiffing on crouch block. Very stupid reason imo.

21 doesn't jail, that's the problem. 2 does but not the rest.
What? If d3 was blocked, nothing hits, because there is nothing to force them standing. EDIT: I see, you mean 2 hits SOME crouch-blockers, 21 does not - I didn't even find that relevant to note, seeing how the 2 goes over many small-bodied crouch-blockers already - why would you ever throw out unsafe highs if the d3 was blocked?

And yes, I don't think you should be using 21 in neutral (it's a fast and very damaging punish, it's great as it is), but enough people seem to be crying about wanting to spam it like that, so d3 is how they can do it.

Last edited:

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I like to use 21212 on wakeup if i read that they gonna delay wakeup or after ending combo with f12. If you time it right they dont have time to crouch and interrupt.

Zviko

Noob
What? If d3 was blocked, nothing hits, because there is nothing to force them standing. EDIT: I see, you mean 2 hits SOME crouch-blockers, 21 does not - I didn't even find that relevant to note, seeing how the 2 goes over many small-bodied crouch-blockers already - why would you ever throw out unsafe highs if the d3 was blocked?

And yes, I don't think you should be using 21 in neutral (it's a fast and very damaging punish, it's great as it is), but enough people seem to be crying about wanting to spam it like that, so d3 is how they can do it.
That's what I meant lol. I said jail which obviously means using 21 after down poke hits. But the problem is only the 2 part jails, 1 doesn't. That's the hat toss which whiffs no matter what. And that's a huge problem because it makes the whole string useless even though it's supposed to be a pressure tool since it's +1 on block. But that +1 feels like a mockery. It is a great punish string and combo string though, I agree. But come on, highs shouldn't whiff on crouch block. And if 2 jails, so should the rest.

Ah yeah, we're on the same page now - if they stand-block the first hit it jails, if they crouch-block right away (and why wouldn't you against Kung Lao?) it whiffs even on a big body like Kotal. So even jailing into it is a pretty big desperation play.