What's new

Kung Lao Discussion Thread

Why hasn't anybody made a Kung Lao discussion thread? Well i guess i made one now. At this moment he has like 11 replies in two threads about two of his moves lol. By far the lowest of any character in TYM. Is my man really that unpopular? This travesty has to be rectified.

Talk away :)

Last edited:
Cause I don’t know how to start threats.
Kung Lao is great in MK11, the best his adaptation since Shaolin Monks
If you look at a characters main thread page you can see 'thread title'. Type in the name of the thread and where you want to post it. it gives you a couple of choices to choose from. So you either choose MK11 (general) or MK11KungLao, MK11LiuKang etc. After that you type in what you want and press post thread. It's as simple as that.

Alternatively, just look above to the right in the main page. You should see the button post thread.

And Kung Lao definitely looks great in MK11!

Last edited:

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Oh, tha
If you look at a characters main thread page you can see 'thread title'. Type in the name of the thread and where you want to post it. it gives you a couple of choices to choose from. So you either choose MK11 (general) or MKKungLao, MKLiuKang etc. After that you type in what you want and press post thread. It's as simple as that.

Alternatively, just look above to the right in the main page. You should see the button post thread.

And Kung Lao definitely looks great in MK11!
Tnx man yeah he’s sick

They did a great job with Kung Lao. I don't like his revenant look but the young Lao looks sick. The ability to summon Great Kung Lao's spirit is a great idea. I love his rework.

I think his Fatal Blow is too long tho. It seems longer than Kabal's.

They did a great job with Kung Lao. I don't like his revenant look but the young Lao looks sick. The ability to summon Great Kung Lao's spirit is a great idea. I love his rework.

I think his Fatal Blow is too long tho. It seems longer than Kabal's.
I am actually a fan of the revenant look but most people don't seem to like the revenants. The spirit of the Great Kung Lao looked cool but i am not sure if its actually good. He didn't seem to be able to combo from it and the low attack seemed to have a slow startup. His fatal blow was indeed long. But i think it's one of the better looking fatal blows.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
There already was a Kung Lao discussion thread though, but maybe it doesn't have the appropriate tag yet since it was made before it was added.

There already was a Kung Lao discussion thread though, but maybe it doesn't have the appropriate tag yet since it was made before it was added.
There isn't another general discussion thread on the main page. There are two other threads about two of his moves. I think you are right though. I do remember posting in another Kung Lao thread. The other thread must not have the right tag. Maybe a mod can merge them together here.

Last edited:
I am actually a fan of the revenant look but most people don't seem to like the revenants. The spirit of the Great Kung Lao looked cool but i am not sure if its actually good. He didn't seem to be able to combo from it and the low attack seemed to have a slow startup. His fatal blow was indeed long. But i think it's one of the better looking fatal blows.
I was mostly talking about the creativity of the move, also how it looked good. But yeah it didn't look that strong. I like revenants skins in MK11, but not Kung Lao's. I think Liu Liu's and Jade's revenant skins are very good.

Also... his intro is godlike

Last edited:
Im getting the game bc Kung lao. He looks very good. Sick animations. Surprised really how he's not talked about alot. Instead ppl rather talk about the kombat kids.. lol

Few things i like to see return with K. lao

• being able to get a combo out of his teleport ( it looks like you can)
  • getting a juggle when i hit a player in the air with a dive kick (not sure)

Im getting the game bc Kung lao. He looks very good. Sick animations. Surprised really how he's not talked about alot. Instead ppl rather talk about the kombat kids.. lol

Few things i like to see return with K. lao

• being able to get a combo out of his teleport ( it looks like you can)
  • getting a juggle when i hit a player in the air with a dive kick (not sure)
I dont think you can get a combo out of his teleport. He got two moves out of it. An overhead and a grab (high). Both lead to knockdowns.

I dont think you can get a combo out of his teleport. He got two moves out of it. An overhead and a grab (high). Both lead to knockdowns.
look closely at the gameplay reveal footage. He has 3 attacks out of his teleport. overhead, grab and 1 attack where he hits with his hat. I think that staggers the opponent to combo out of it.

Not a lot of Kung Lao here, when compared to the other characters.... Could that be because people were underwhelmed by what they saw of the char.? Or is he just unpopular...?

I was hoping he had more wing-chun punches incorporated into his moves repertoire; especially given he seems to be the not-so-subtle "Ip Man" to Kang's "Bruce Lee"...

Not a lot of Kung Lao here, when compared to the other characters.... Could that be because people were underwhelmed by what they saw of the char.? Or is he just unpopular...?

I was hoping he had more wing-chun punches incorporated into his moves repertoire; especially given he seems to be the not-so-subtle "Ip Man" to Kang's "Bruce Lee"...
Yeah its strange. He seems more awesome then ever but somehow people are not feeling him. Atleast not on this forum.

What used to be unpopulair characters back in the days, now seem to be the most populair.

Im a fan of MK bc the martial arts orientated characters. Ninjas, shaolin monks sorcerers etc. k. lao in Mk11 looks very neat. His move set and animations are one of the best in MK11 imo.

Do you guys think K. lao is still able to teleport mid air? I hope he does.

What used to be unpopulair characters back in the days, now seem to be the most populair.

Im a fan of MK bc the martial arts orientated characters. Ninjas, shaolin monks sorcerers etc. k. lao in Mk11 looks very neat. His move set and animations are one of the best in MK11 imo.

Do you guys think K. lao is still able to teleport mid air? I hope he does.
It might be an ability you can equip. I believe Noob Saibot has a air teleslam that you can equip. So it might be the same for Lao. It's probably not a preset move though. So hopefully it's in his base moveset.

Ok so K. lao has these 2 variations:
  1. Lotus Fist: Orbiting Hat (2), Omega Hat
  2. Hat Tricks: Guided Hat, Z Hat, (Air) Teleport
Damn i want air teleport combined with orbiting hat.. :( it should be a default setup to teleport mid air.

anyone else thinks that his teleport is even easier to react to now? it seems like it takes forever when he throws his hat on the ground and it makes it easier for the opponent to counter it.

I noticed that in yesterday's Shao Khan reveal trailer. Shao khan had plenty of time to see what Lao was doing and do the uppercut Krushing Blow.

Considering that uppercut Krushing Blow is universal, this is a big disappointment for me

anyone else thinks that his teleport is even easier to react to now? it seems like it takes forever when he throws his hat on the ground and it makes it easier for the opponent to counter it.

I noticed that in yesterday's Shao Khan reveal trailer. Shao khan had plenty of time to see what Lao was doing and do the uppercut Krushing Blow.

Considering that uppercut Krushing Blow is universal, this is a big disappointment for me
It's definitely slower then it used to be.