What's new

Kung Lao Competitive Discussion

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Where my Lao mains at? Im struggling.

So far, this is the only stuff Ive found.

Since orbiting hat uses a bar of offense and defense, I choose to not use it in combos unless in the corner. Instead, Ive been ending combos in Monk Dunk then setting up Orbiting Hat.

Combos:
F21spin, 12, f12
F21spin, 12, f4orbiting hat(this is an option, will beat all wake ups as well as getting an extra % in damage. ~21%-~22%

Anyone care to revise this or help me lab this char?

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Am I honestly the lone guy here? Guess this is my notebook now.

Ending in f4tele will beat the wakeup attacks, just simply meterburn, hold and wiff punish them.

Im really struggling in the neutral, his buttons just feel so trash to me.

So far Lao feels natural to me. My bnb has been 2121 db1 f1 df1 j3 d4. I havent gotten much lab time since i was playing story mode but ill get into it after work this week. That link from db1 to f1 is super tight

Lao's first variation, the Tempest-like one with the orbiting hat is good.

I discovered his 2121 string has some whiffing issues, for example, it connects just fine on shao kahn after orbiting hat, but it whiffs on sub zero.

Also, what do you guys use to combo off the orbiting hat that feels consistent? after the move his hat is gone for a few seconds, and he can't do any hat-based strings like f21 etc.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Lao's first variation, the Tempest-like one with the orbiting hat is good.

I discovered his 2121 string has some whiffing issues, for example, it connects just fine on shao kahn after orbiting hat, but it whiffs on sub zero.

Also, what do you guys use to combo off the orbiting hat that feels consistent? after the move his hat is gone for a few seconds, and he can't do any hat-based strings like f21 etc.
F1 midscreen, and 12 in the corner.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
I have a list of combos I'll be writing here soon for Lotus Fist.

Biggest complaint so far is how unsafe the majority of his strings are. Why does 21212 begin with three highs? Why does orbiting hat cost two bars when it's -7 and requires a 4-frame link to combo (s2), which you can only do after certain strings?

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
I havn’t paid attention to mk11 at all leading up to release. I’m playing competitive mode only atm. Does that mean he has 2 variations? Hat spin one and that mind burst shit? Is this right? I’m using the mind burst one at the moment and doing ok

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?

Biggest complaint so far is how unsafe the majority of his strings are. Why does 21212 begin with three highs? Why does orbiting hat cost two bars when it's -7 and requires a 4-frame link to combo (s2), which you can only do after certain strings?
Nice, hit us with those combos my dawg. Ill clean up the OP, add those and credit you if thats cool?

Orbiting hat isnt worth the meter except for oki, IMO. Its so expensive for so little. It isnt a bad move, it just costs too much to be worth it.

21212 is the absolute ghost of 11212. Id give anything for that string to be high mid. Have you been using it to get long range punishes any? You can get meter burn teleport to combo after only the 1 hits in 21. And yeah, unsafe as all hell. F2 string is so close to being a great normal, but it leads to a death string and all you can cancel into somewhat safely is the orbitting hat that again, is costly.

Idk. Ill put in some more work today.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
I havn’t paid attention to mk11 at all leading up to release. I’m playing competitive mode only atm. Does that mean he has 2 variations? Hat spin one and that mind burst shit? Is this right? I’m using the mind burst one at the moment and doing ok
... I made the same mistake, but the answer is: "no". The default variations are not those used in tournaments. You gotta build the tourney variations one by one, which is pretty stupid.

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
... I made the same mistake, but the answer is: "no". The default variations are not those used in tournaments. You gotta build the tourney variations one by one, which is pretty stupid.
I still don’t understand lol. How many variations does each character have?
God I wish they would do away with this variation shit.

Pate

Noob
i have great combos with him, i think the optimal way to do dmg with him is using one offensive bar, try 2121,spin, front dash, f4, EXspin, u/f3, dive kick, 33%, you want a meterless? 2121, spin, u/f3, dive kick, you have some strings that has low combo starter, for example, f4, spin, b2,1, EX spin, u/f3, dive kick, 30% i think... in that combo instead of b2,1 you can actually use 2121, EX spin BUT it is a little bit tricky to connect, try it in practice, if you found the right timing to hit the last punch of that string to link in the EX spin that will do more dmg than the other string, greetings from Paraguay!

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Kung Lao bnbs (Lotus Fist)

starters:
12 (8f)
21212 (8f optimal, use at own risk)
f21 (15f, distance)

Midscreen:

starter~spin, jk~dk
starter~spin, f4~amp spin, jk~dk
f1/b32~amp spin, f21~spin, jk~dk
f4~spin, f1~amp spin, jk~dk

starter~orbit, s2~spin, jk~dk
starter~orbit, s2~spin, f4~amp spin, jk~dk
f4~orbit, f1~spin, jk~dk

AAs1, f1~spin, jk~dk
AAs1, f4~amp spin, jk~dk
Same combos used for air-to-airs.

Corner:

starter~spin, f4~spin, d1, f12 (optimal, easier to replace f4 with s3 or s2)
starter~orbit, s2~spin…

EDIT: if it ends with jk~dk, you can end with f12 instead.

Last edited:

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
If you folks find better, please write 'em down!
And I we need an official combo thread by someone committed to editing it!

RexyWrecks

RTSD All Day. I'm going in. No Vaseline.
Kung Lao bnbs (Lotus Fist)

starters:
12 (8f)
21212 (8f optimal, use at own risk)
f21 (15f, distance)

Midscreen:

starter~spin, jk~dk
starter~spin, f4~amp spin, jk~dk
f1/b32~amp spin, f21~spin, jk~dk
f4~spin, f1~amp spin, jk~dk

starter~orbit, s2~spin, jk~dk
starter~orbit, s2~spin, f4~amp spin, jk~dk
f4~orbit, f1~spin, jk~dk

AAs1, f1~spin, jk~dk
AAs1, f4~amp spin, jk~dk
Same combos used for air-to-airs.

Corner:

starter~spin, f4~spin, d1, f12 (optimal, easier to replace f4 with s3 or s2)
starter~orbit, s2~spin…
[/QUOTE

F13 starter?

RexyWrecks

I

[/QU
I’m starting to think that this string isn’t supposed to be used in the traditional sense. Try using it as a whiff punisher or to bully opponents on wake up.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
I

I’m starting to think that this string isn’t supposed to be used in the traditional sense. Try using it as a whiff punisher or to bully opponents on wake up.
Yeah, I came to the same conclusion. 21 in the neutral is… alright? I guess? In my head, 212124 is supposed to be an awesome stagger string, and they have to guess if you're going to throw or not. Next to last hit even leaves you +1. But it starts with three high attacks. Three. Trois.

kcd117

Noob
Idk what's the point of 21 being a triple high. If only blocking the first hit forced you to block the next 2 it would at least have some utility in pressure, but the way it is it can only be used for punishes. Also, is orbiting hat that good of a move to cost 2 bars? I think one would be enough.

RexyWrecks

Your
Yeah, I came to the same conclusion. 21 in the neutral is… alright? I guess? In my head, 212124 is supposed to be an awesome stagger string, and they have to guess if you're going to throw or not. Next to last hit even leaves you +1. But it starts with three high attacks. Three. Trois.
You can hit confirm the hat into amp spin in neutral. It also makes 214 somewhat viable. Side note, amp spin is a good whiff punishing tool.. along with f1 n f2

DDTECH

H8TR MKR
Lao is super unsafe for the most part.
He "feels" better in this game though, his combos are alot easier then in 9 or 10, he's just overall more flowing, if that makes sense.

I dont like that you cant end combos with throw or grab, that shits for the fucken birds, and is leaving damage on the table. Its way harder to string longer combos together as well from my first day playing. I've only got 6 hours invested, went 16-5 online, and finished story mode on hard. My lao is pretty stout, but overall i feel like i gotta start completely over, learning his combos. I wish they would have kept the same buttons but different moves.. Tempest was my best variation and it just seems blah but again i only have 6 hours vested in the game.

I like how you can't buy your way out of this because i would lol, i like the whole grind harder to be better.. they def made it more then just a fighting game which is cool as shit.

I'm open to getting better strings together but lao only has Three REAL starters, which is already listed.

Overall i like him but i hope a patch comes out so we can grab after a combo.