Votes: 26 23.4%
  • Where's my 24 Low Hat?

Votes: 85 76.6%

• Total voters

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
UsedForGlue

Do you have any useful x ray setups?
There are no real ''set ups'', I just use the threat of the :x to slow the opponent down from poking me back. When you have the :x you can get away with allot more rushdown that you normally wouldn't, like 112, 11, Throw without interruption.

For instance, when you play against Kitana, she can poke the shit out of everything you do, but with :x stocked, she will hesitate pokes, and you will get away with allot more, same as against Cage, when he has :x, you don't even think about poking him back half the time.

Don't be looking to use it when you get it, just threaten it, and if they jump, hit them with it, you can get 50+ from an :x on its own.

ZtrideRz

Noob
Hmmm all the hate you gave lao now your going to main him! Good guide m8 ill start to adjust my Lao to your guide however I do have 1 question. Is not the object to force your opponent into crouch block as there they already at a disadvantage because they recive a penalty on there offensive counters except uppercut and poke specials. Just tom brady says this. If your are in crouch block your at a disadvantage. Can you simplifie what he is saying?

UsedForGlue

Hmmm all the hate you gave lao now your going to main him!
Yes, I hated Pre-Patch Kung Lao, and I always will.

Kung Lao has 0 frames of advantage on a blocked 1, 11, 112, 1121 & 21, so if the opponent reads that you are doing a D3 poke after any of these block strings, their 6 or 7 frame poke will beat Kung Laos D3, which is 9 frames.

If you hit the opponent with a d3 while they are in crouch you will get +10 frames of advantage, but if they crouch block your d3, you will be at -7, and then it will be even easier to poke out KL.

If the opponent thinks you are doing a 112 on block and wants to poke you after it, and instead you go for a 1121, and the last 1 hits, your at +6 advantage, and if they are mashing a poke after this, your d3 will beat them, and you will have your +10 again, its about mixing up for 1,11,112 & 1121 strings.

Next time, they might think you are going for a 1121 on block, but instead you go for 11, 112...

Opponents can poke KL out of anything very easily if they guess right.

You can also, counter poke opponents who want to counter poke you.

Example, if you do a 112 on block, and you crouch block afterwards, if the opponent does a d3, or d1, you can then counter their d1 or d3 with your d3.

ZtrideRz

Noob
Well at least us small bunch of lao player can call ourselfs loyal to lao, he can be patched again and ill still main him and ill still play him in mk10 like i have since mk2.

Can you tell me glue do I get no hit advantage from a low hat if it connects. I know its -13 on block but if ut hits am i at a advantage let's say I 11 low hat or 112 low hat rarther than 1121 low hat do I gain any frames on a confirmed hit if so then is it not still a useful tool to KL rarther than just a zoning tool or chip damage finsher. I understand what u mean about D4 low hat as you miss your chance to pressure gain chip and meter. Also is 2 4 low hat useless if low hat hits. I get u don't use it all the time as it becomes predictable but wont the same happen with just playing robotic on framerates? Sorry if I sound stupid here am just curiose..

Also u mentioned the teli if you jump high it comes out faster making it harder to read especially on cross jumps as you can just 3exdk and get 33 percent and if I Tele 3 its zero on block but you cannot come up out of crouch block and use a astring without poking me first because of the penalty you get from crouchblocking the 3. What am saying is tele can still be hard to react to and punish if used wisely. Am i right or just way off point m8..?

ZtrideRz

Noob
Also unless you don't block the Tele and poke I can spin ur D1 on reaction aswell..?

What am basically saying let's say I master the frames like you and play that style(which believe me i will) and you get used to me 1121 then repeating or baiting a poke so you begin to poke me after a 1121 string then maybe next time I 1121 I do mix in a low hat expecting you to poke again on reaction then bait a jump in. Also if I block a D1orD3 will I get a guaranteed poke hit with a D3 straight after?

ZtrideRz

Noob
Also if you have time m8 I would love to spam like 500-1000 kung v kung until I'm playing entirely of frame rates. When i get it right we can record some for the tym community kung lao page if am worthy of a 1000 games v you :p

UsedForGlue

Well at least us small bunch of lao player can call ourselfs loyal to lao, he can be patched again and ill still main him and ill still play him in mk10 like i have since mk2.

Can you tell me glue do I get no hit advantage from a low hat if it connects. I know its -13 on block but if ut hits am i at a advantage let's say I 11 low hat or 112 low hat rarther than 1121 low hat do I gain any frames on a confirmed hit if so then is it not still a useful tool to KL rarther than just a zoning tool or chip damage finsher. I understand what u mean about D4 low hat as you miss your chance to pressure gain chip and meter. Also is 2 4 low hat useless if low hat hits. I get u don't use it all the time as it becomes predictable but wont the same happen with just playing robotic on framerates? Sorry if I sound stupid here am just curiose..

Also u mentioned the teli if you jump high it comes out faster making it harder to read especially on cross jumps as you can just 3exdk and get 33 percent and if I Tele 3 its zero on block but you cannot come up out of crouch block and use a astring without poking me first because of the penalty you get from crouchblocking the 3. What am saying is tele can still be hard to react to and punish if used wisely. Am i right or just way off point m8..?
I don't know how more I can say on how bad doing a low hat is up close.

The Low hat up close gives you plus 2 advantage on hit, but its fully punishable by -12.

You can choose to do low hats hats up close if you want, but I don't recommend it.

ZtrideRz

Noob
I won't as I trust your judgement as I lnow how good you are just trying to learn everything after a low hat hit my D3 9 becomes a D3 7?

UsedForGlue

I won't as I trust your judgement as I lnow how good you are just trying to learn everything after a low hat hit my D3 9 becomes a D3 7?
Well, there is push back, so its not going to become 7 frames. by the time you dash in you will have lost your advantage.

ZtrideRz

Noob
Ah I see ok byebye low hat then thx. Because I have to dash on a 1121 1121 that puts me at a disadvantage too? So best option is 1121 wait or d3 poke..?

ZtrideRz

Noob
Or if they try to pressure you counter with d1 punish jip with spin. And if your going to take a risk and dash in then dash 11 into what ever or dash in with 2-4. Altho if you risk it you could dash after a low hat and 2-4 as it would still be 7 frames because of the +2. Point taken tho ill never use low hat in a string now ill overhead or repeat or wait n bait. It's like a bloody maths class now mk.

UsedForGlue

Or if they try to pressure you counter with d1 punish jip with spin. And if your going to take a risk and dash in then dash 11 into what ever or dash in with 2-4. Altho if you risk it you could dash after a low hat and 2-4 as it would still be 7 frames because of the +2. Point taken tho ill never use low hat in a string now ill overhead or repeat or wait n bait. It's like a bloody maths class now mk.
Just know this.

Your 0 on block from 1,11,112 & 1121.
Your d3 is 9 frames.
Your 1 is 10 frames, and hits high.
Your 2 is 7 frames, and hits high.

Know your opponents main pokes and strings start ups, like Sektor having 6 frames :fp, Cage having a 9 frame :r:fk, Sonya having a 6 frame :fp, sub zero having a :d:bk etc.

Read what you think your opponent will do on block.

Thats all I can really say man, there is no definate answer to anything, you have to mix up your rush down, hit confirm everything and make reads on what you think your opponent will do.

UsedForGlue Is cross up jumpkick into ex dive kick any good? ive been using it for a while and I don't think anybody else mentioned it and I kind of want some feedback about it. When they begin to respect that they will block a lot of cross ups instead of anti airing them. So far its been working perfectly for me.

BTW, what about ex dive kicks on far jumps? you can get a combo off of it and I think I'm doing it on reaction but I might be deceiving myself lol. I think this is really good on opponents who dont have a move than can change their jumps like cage, jax, sonya.

UsedForGlue

UsedForGlue Is cross up jumpkick into ex dive kick any good? ive been using it for a while and I don't think anybody else mentioned it and I kind of want some feedback about it. When they begin to respect that they will block a lot of cross ups instead of anti airing them. So far its been working perfectly for me.

BTW, what about ex dive kicks on far jumps? you can get a combo off of it and I think I'm doing it on reaction but I might be deceiving myself lol. I think this is really good on opponents who dont have a move than can change their jumps like cage, jax, sonya.
For deep jump kicks, I use 24 afterwards, because if the JK is blocked, you can start a 24, and if it hits, you can do an overhead hat or command grab.

Crossover JK into teleports isn't a bad idea, i don't see why it wouldn't be valid. I generally like to use crossover JP into Teleport early :fk.

For deep jump kicks, I use 24 afterwards, because if the JK is blocked, you can start a 24, and if it hits, you can do an overhead hat or command grab.

Crossover JK into teleports isn't a bad idea, i don't see why it wouldn't be valid. I generally like to use crossover JP into Teleport early :fk.
Yeah, it does lead to a 33% though and you can hitconfirm it. In case you hit them low to the knee and they block it, you can make it so they block the whole ex dive kick and get the +10 frame on block.

MK_Al

Noob
Just a few thoughts on this excellent guide:

- I can't say how much I appreciate it when pros like you share their stuff with the community. Unfortunately a lot of player tend to keep their tech a secret in order to keep an advantage. So thumbs up for you, McFly, and everyone else who shares.

- Sometimes I think your guide's a bit to smart, because you can't make people respect things they don't know or don't think about. Like I didn't notice many opponents backing up because of me having 3 full bars. Anyway, you know tons of MK stuff and I hope you don't outsmart yourself at EVO :)

- Things that might be interesting in this guide:
Use of 3,4,F4:
I sometimes use JIP, 4, F2, 24/grab/... people seem to feel safe after 4 but are in good distance for F2. Its not great, but it works for me. Unless you blow it up :) I've got to admit that I don't get to play strong players that often.
F4 beats a lot of specials as well as d3, though it's pretty hard to do on reaction and it's kind of a lucky punch. You probably saw McFly's vid.
Also, the wiffed dive kick seems safer after F4. The expert CPU beats my DK after 2,4,1+3,2 with his wakeup, which can be blocked after F4. But it might also be bad timing.
About the chain, 24, teleport: The ex teleport is probably not meant to close the distance (as you showed the 24 just needs to be timed correctly), it beats wakeup attempts. I'm sure you're aware of this, but it'd fit in your guide.
No idea how to use 3, except for combos.
Not sure about this one, but I have a hard time beating teleport 1. Seems good for people that punish the teleport constantly with an uppercut.

Any thoughts on that?

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
The bottom line is, you cannot hit confirm the low hat from D4, you will lose your possible advantage from a d4 on hit, id much rather have that.
Do you share the same sentiments for other low pokes into specials like Sub's d4 into clone or Smoke's d1 into smoke bomb?

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Why do every character I use now gets a guide and/or is getting blown up? LEAVE ME ALONE.

I dropped this character after the patch and now I remodeled him and then a guide comes out.There goes my work.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Do you share the same sentiments for other low pokes into specials like Sub's d4 into clone or Smoke's d1 into smoke bomb?
D4, clone is something I've taken out of my game over time. Directly cancelling a d4 into clone doesn't allow you to hitconfirm your d4 and hitconfirming d4 into pressure (at close range), or trying to bait something out (at close to max range) is really important to Sub-Zero. You only get so mnay opportunities to do this per round. D4, clone happens so quickly, your opponent doesn't have time to react before he sees the clone on the screen, and the pushback means you're now really far away again. I should probably use it more against Cage, or Kitana while turtling on a lifelead, but it's not a good idea in general as a Sub-Zero player.

Smoke's d1, smoke bomb is totally different in that it catches people trying to counterpoke and grants you a full combo, too.