What's new

Krushing blows

What's the reasoning for show Kahn's krushing blows and fatal blow being so bad/harder requirements compared to the other characters?

I'm trying to work out why some characters just need to do a punish and the get double damage, but Kahn has to go against his play style

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
I think Shao's playstyle is punishing. So I would say that 3 of his KBs fit the description. As far as the 3 spears requirement. It's a bit odd but rather easy to achieve in a 3 round match.

The question I struggle with is why do some characters have 3 or 4 KBs and others have 5?

Yes I agree, why do some characters have so many, I play realm destroyer aswell so there's one less lol.

I don't mind the requirements needing you to plan a bit, but when you're up against characters that whip out a KB just by farting, you're just at a disadvantage.

It would be ok if Kahn was one of the better characters, his KB's belong to geras lol

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Yes I agree, why do some characters have so many, I play realm destroyer aswell so there's one less lol.

I don't mind the requirements needing you to plan a bit, but when you're up against characters that whip out a KB just by farting, you're just at a disadvantage.

It would be ok if Kahn was one of the better characters, his KB's belong to geras lol
I love Geras personally, love his design, love his toolkit, moveset, and his personality. I just wish it wasn't so easy for him to do everything. It's cool that he's a jack of all trades but thats the thing about jacks. They're not kings.

Back on topic with Shao, I played shao for KL 7. So he was considered the worst character at the time and I wanted the challenge of getting to demi-god with the 'worst character'. I LOVED Realm Destroyer. I love spears. It's a new recent fascination from me stemming from Valkyrie in For Honor. At the time that was his worst variation and was beyond hard to use. I love that they made the variation way more viable, but would also like to see him get a KB to replace the one he loses. I would like to see that with all characters in all variations. If you lose a KB, you get a KB. Even if it's not a viable one. But I'm not a developer so this is just me yelling at the walls.

I love Geras personally, love his design, love his toolkit, moveset, and his personality. I just wish it wasn't so easy for him to do everything. It's cool that he's a jack of all trades but thats the thing about jacks. They're not kings.

Back on topic with Shao, I played shao for KL 7. So he was considered the worst character at the time and I wanted the challenge of getting to demi-god with the 'worst character'. I LOVED Realm Destroyer. I love spears. It's a new recent fascination from me stemming from Valkyrie in For Honor. At the time that was his worst variation and was beyond hard to use. I love that they made the variation way more viable, but would also like to see him get a KB to replace the one he loses. I would like to see that with all characters in all variations. If you lose a KB, you get a KB. Even if it's not a viable one. But I'm not a developer so this is just me yelling at the walls.
I think that if they changed his DIE KB to activate after using any 3 moves involving the spear, that would make it activate easier for all variations, especially realm destroyer and it would also be similar to every other character in the game

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
As a Shao Kahn character, I forget he even has Krushing Blows most of the time. And yes, his Fatal Blow is also fucking garbage. There's no rhyme or reason to a lot of NRS' decisions. I swear they just pick some shit out of a hat and go with it.

As a Shao Kahn character, I forget he even has Krushing Blows most of the time. And yes, his Fatal Blow is also fucking garbage. There's no rhyme or reason to a lot of NRS' decisions. I swear they just pick some shit out of a hat and go with it.
Ha so do I, the only one I remember is his throw kB, and if someone is projectile spamming first round I think I may as well build by spears up, but doing so puts Kahn right where he's weakest.

I saw an interview with edd boon, I'm not sure if it was right before the game came out or the first week, but he seemed to think shao Kahn would be a winner at tournaments, this coupled with the fact that some of the Devs admitted that they're no good at mk, makes me think that they gave him hard KB requirements because they thought he was really good, which is ok, I just don't get why they didn't alter them when everyone pointed out how bad he is.

I'm really liking the aftermath buffs but I don't think it's enough, I really hope they don't leave him as he is

Last edited:
If f3 4 is going to be unsafe remove the gap lol and if f3 4 is safe keep the gap but not both and make shoulder amplifible on block also unsafe

Raptor

Noob
Hey guys I didn't know where to put it so I'm gonna ask here. How do you punish Shao's F3,4 ONLINE. I know you can flawless block it offline and I had trained it already but online it's a miracle to pull it off. Are there any other counters to this move or should I just forfeit everytime I see Shao online? Thank you for advice. I main Sub Zero if it matters.

Error404

Noob
Hey guys I didn't know where to put it so I'm gonna ask here. How do you punish Shao's F3,4 ONLINE. I know you can flawless block it offline and I had trained it already but online it's a miracle to pull it off. Are there any other counters to this move or should I just forfeit everytime I see Shao online? Thank you for advice. I main Sub Zero if it matters.
If you don't want to F.block it , regular block and make a read on what comes after. F34 by itself ia punishable and canceling in to the throw or special is also punishable.

Raptor

Noob
Yes I know this much but it creates 50/50. I guess as Sub main I shouldn't be complaining about 50/50. Seems it will be based on luck weather I guess or not. Thanks for advice.

Pyrosis

Gentlemen, behold! My opinion!
As a Shao Kahn main. It's worth just sitting in practice and learning to flawless block it, because it's not hard at all once you get used to it. And the reward is an entire combo punish WITHOUT spending the offensive/defensive bars to Up 2 after the flawless block. Pretty fucking ridiculous.

If you don't want to flawless block you can also fuzzy guard the mixup. Shoulder charge is 16 frames, throw is 20 and hammer is 26. So you release block a bit late after the last hit of f34 and then tap it again.

Every hit in this game has a value for damage scaling that reduces the damage of the next hit. That's a core mechanic since MK9
Unless you perform an armor breaker - it will reset the damage scaling and your will hit as hard as the first hit of a combo

Pyrosis

Gentlemen, behold! My opinion!
I've never seen a MK game reward players just mashing down 2 for their lives as much as this game. Something that Shao is especially susceptible to considering every mid starter he has is dogass.