What's new

Kratos Debate Opinions

Ok, so I got into a little debate on FB on why Kratos should be unbanned and I think the pluses far outweigh the negatives. Where I stand is that this community is a tight-knit community: Everyone (PS3 or not) frequently visit this forum, and if you're an MK9 competitive gamer you know about Kratos. The only logical reason for my opponents to argue about keeping Kratos banned is that he is only a PS3-exclusive; now let's be honest here, PS3 is exclusively the system that MK9 tournaments are held on, 360 players or not.

If you're a 360 player who plays this game and travels you know that you are required to play on the PS3 a majority of the tournaments you attend, and I don't see the lame excuse of him being a PS3-exclusive as a viable reason for keeping him banned: If you are a serious tournament player who travels for this game (if you don't go out an compete with the best of the best, you have no say so, because you only play the game at a casual level) when you guys go to majors and big MK9 tournaments in general, a majority of the time I can guarantee you there will be mostly PS3 setups.

Just look at EVO and MLG: A 360 player cant say "oh he shouldn't be viable" because (lbsh) you guys have plenty of time to work on ONE CHARACTER matchup in casuals before a big tournament fight; no one goes into a tournament and goes straight to fighting in pools without warming up unless you're late.

If you're running an MK9 tournament strictly on 360 (which is rare nowadays) of course then no Kratos; but if you plan on attending a tournament which has PS3 (most-used platform for mk9) then I suggest you competitive players quit whining and gain knowledge and study the matchup in casuals before your pools.

The way I see it, if you know you're entering a tournament where you're gonna have to play PS3 and rules have been set to allow Kratos, then you should know where your focus should be in casuals before pools start....

-------------------------------------
Edited to be more coherent to read.
-Alien

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Revolver . He said that if you are "random xbox player" at a tourney with shit, even 30 people like FF, getting casuals in isn't that easy. On the other end of the coin, the likelyhood of actually playing a Kratos player would be low at most events anyway. I'm for unbanning him, but I'm not about to argue about my opinion with anyone.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
Ok so i got into a little debate on fb on why kratos should be unbanned and i think the pluses far outway the negatives
What are the pluses of making him playable?

Btw, I understood the "360 players' disadvantage" thing but never really thought that was too big of a deal. I always thought he should stay banned because I've heard from NUMEROUS people that he's outright broken

What are the pluses of making him playable?

Btw, I understood the "360 players' disadvantage" thing but never really thought that was too big of a deal. I always thought he should stay banned because I've heard from NUMEROUS people that he's outright broken
Such as Kabal having a 5-5 matchup and breathing a bit of extra life into MK9 whenever someone picks him. I'm not entirely sure what others there might be.

>Outright broken
Not really, as Kratos does have good and bad matchups like most fighters (quite a few 3-7 MUs too). To say Kratos is outright broken would be ignoring Cyrax's bullshit; he doesn't have crazy things like Cyrax, but he does have his own bag of dirty tricks.

kratos is free unban his free ass. he is booty please let me get a pool of kratos in a tourny it will be free like sheeva
Underestimation.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
Cyrax sayz: I can haz 80% of yo' life for 1 twix bar!? Gimme dat shit! :p
Such as Kabal having a 5-5 matchup and breathing a bit of extra life into MK9 whenever someone picks him. I'm not entirely sure what others there might be.

>Outright broken
Not really, as Kratos does have good and bad matchups like most fighters (quite a few 3-7 MUs too). To say Kratos is outright broken would be ignoring Cyrax's bullshit; he doesn't have crazy things like Cyrax, but he does have his own bag of dirty tricks.
HEY! Just because Cyrax sparks a little bit when he enters a fight doesn't mean he's broken! (Lol jk, but I love that broken machine :D) I just go by what I hear from PS3 people. I think I may have fought Kratos once, so I really have no opinion of him being broken at all...

But Killphil did bring up a good point. Being a 360 player HOPING that a good Kratos player is going to be free for casuals (and a long set at that) right before a tournament isn't a very reliable training method. It may take you 3 or 4 tournaments to get a feel for what the character's all about depending on if you get those matches (that, mind you, a lot of other people might be gunning for as well). But on the other hand, over time, the knowledge will grow and Kratos' "flavor of the month" phase would end and we'd go back to seeing the same 6 or 7 characters that we've always seen... so I don't know.

I really don't attend man tournaments anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing him unbanned for a tournament or two, just for stream hype :)

>Outright broken

Underestimation.
thats what im saying, people saying "oh cyrax is perfectly legal because he is a character for both 360 and PS3" and? So ur just gonna ignore all the bullshit broken shit that comes along with cyrax and say oh he is perfectly fine for tournament?" lol some ppl in this community are so hypocritical man lol, they act like kratos has godlike footsies and the best dash in the game to go along with this so called "broken" style of his, half the muhfkaz screaming that he's to broken cant even point out the first thing that makes him a ban worthy character...kratos has his bad matchups just like any other character. So i dont see the problem.

thats what im saying, people saying "oh cyrax is perfectly legal because he is a character for both 360 and PS3" and? So ur just gonna ignore all the bullshit broken shit that comes along with cyrax and say oh he is perfectly fine for tournament?" lol some ppl in this tournament are so hypocritical man lol, they act like kratos has godlike footsies and the best dash in the game to go along with this so called "broken" style of his, half the muhfkaz screaming that he's to broken cant even point out the first thing that makes him a ban worthy character...kratos has his bad matchups just like any other character. So i dont see the problem.
I don't understand your confusion. Why should be people be allowed to use a character that a large percentage of the tournament field have no experience against? Regardless of the tournaments being played on ps3, this is a very legit argument. Why would a serious tournament player even pick up Kratos anyway knowing that they won't be able to use him?

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I don't understand your confusion. Why should be people be allowed to use a character that a large percentage of the tournament field have no experience against? Regardless of the tournaments being played on ps3, this is a very legit argument. Why would a serious tournament player even pick up Kratos anyway knowing that they won't be able to use him?
Well no one is using him now because he IS banned. If that gets revoked, people might come around. Again, he's a low tier character as it stands, so those chances are still pretty low regardless.

you know why a large portion of the tournament scene has no exp against him? Because they dont bother with him because he's been banned from almost day 1 of the mk9 tournament scene taking off, of course they wont pick him up if he is banned duh, but if he is unbanned i guarantee u you will see him being played from time to time, im not saying ppl are just gonna rape it up wit kratos if he is unbanned i just dont see that happening, its too many good players out there 4 him to just beast like that, so im saying why nit give him a chance

Komatose

The Prettiest
doesnt cyrax get 80 to 100 of a net? Doesnt cyrax have meterless corner resets?, doesnt cyrax have unbreakable combos?, doesnt cyrax have breaker combos? Doesnt get more broken then that come on bro be serious -_-
Cyrax is broken too. I don't fuck with characters that wear/are yellow. They are broken.

you know why a large portion of the tournament scene has no exp against him? Because they dont bother with him because he's been banned from almost day 1 of the mk9 tournament scene taking off, of course they wont pick him up if he is banned duh, but if he is unbanned i guarantee u you will see him being played from time to time, im not saying ppl are just gonna rape it up wit kratos if he is unbanned i just dont see that happening, its too many good players out there 4 him to just beast like that, so im saying why nit give him a chance
I don't think that an xbox player getting the rare opportunity to play a handful of matches against Kratos at tournaments is enough to call it experience. Would you be promoting this if he was a xbox exclusive character?

This match occured long ago:

*video*

I'm so sorry for doing this to you, Starcharger; having to fight an unknown matchup and all, but you fought well.
He looks pretty cool. I say make him legal. You got fools trying to make toasty boosts tournament legal so why not make Kratos legal.

I don't think that an xbox player getting the rare opportunity to play a handful of matches against Kratos at tournaments is enough to call it experience. Would you be promoting this if he was a xbox exclusive character?
yes, why? Because i have no problem grinding out the matchup before hand and plus im confident enough in my chars and ability to adapt in order to overcome an obsticle..

TONY-T

Mad scientist
i seriously dont understand why people are arguing agaisnt this. Kratos is not broken, he is not overpowered. His best move is his parry wich you can bait the shit out of and punish. How many of you can honestly say you know every match up in the game? Does it really matter if one more character you dont know the match up for gets thrown into the mix? Wether you like it or not, Kratos is in mortal kombat. Its about time we recognise that and make him official.

i seriously dont understand why people are arguing agaisnt this. Kratos is not broken, he is not overpowered. His best move is his parry wich you can bait the shit out of and punish. How many of you can honestly say you know every match up in the game? Does it really matter if one more character you dont know the match up for gets thrown into the mix? Wether you like it or not, Kratos is in mortal kombat. Its about time we recognise that and make him official.
exactly tony thats the only thing they fear, is his parry which is very easy to bait and is capable of being punished, but the noobs of this community dont see that....its 1 character get over it

EDIT: To add on we are approaching 2013 guys and mortal kombat 9 glory days are just about over, we will be moving on to bigger and better things, so the more we spice things up the better. Injustice will be here soon so why not go balls out with MK9 now that everything is said and done and legacies are established