What's new

Kotal Kahn Video Thread

Thanks man.

Yeah F122 is a bad habit. I'm not doing it so often anymore on block. But on hit i'm like 'He a punish!, oh wait i already KB it...'
Time to practice this wave dash thing i guess haha.

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
Yeah, even just knowing how to wave dash once after Kat or an Ascension Command Grab really gives you more oki options. Good luck with it!

Jeffrey Wolf

You've really stepped up your game! 12 staggers into grab, Fatal Blow when slightly negative to steal your turn back, Kat to get away on block, multiple whiff punishes using F2, trip guarding a jump with an optimal B22 combo, and that's all just in the first few minutes!

Seriously, nice stuff.

FYI: After you connect with a D4 you can frame trap into F2.

You've really stepped up your game! 12 staggers into grab, Fatal Blow when slightly negative to steal your turn back, Kat to get away on block, multiple whiff punishes using F2, trip guarding a jump with an optimal B22 combo, and that's all just in the first few minutes!

Seriously, nice stuff.

FYI: After you connect with a D4 you can frame trap into F2.
Thanks man!
I love the 122 string. Either they block the string and don't know Kotal is plus. Or they let go because they think i'm going to shimmy.

But eh holy shit! You are giving the 'pro's' here a hard time with Totemic while i'm in Masters hurdling over losing points due to decay, 75% of the player base playing Searing Rage Scorpion without a clue what they are actually doing, and those who don't even know what frame data is :).

One question, is it me or is DF2 sword a really hard to hit anti-air/anti-crossup? It feels it has no hitbox at all. It doesn't hit after they jump forward after 122 on block but they can hit you with a NJK when they are litteraly with their body in your 'sword aura'. It works at the start of the match sometimes (yes sometimes, not all the times) when you read a jump in. Such a shame considering he only has 2 character specific Kb's.

DF2 saw's hitbox stops at shoulder height, you really should not risk stuff by using it as an anti-air. Often Kotal's face is closer to the opponent than the hitbox.

Jeffrey Wolf

Thanks, @MeSoFoolish! Ha, yeah, KL can be crazy, but I've definitely gotten better from grinding the lower levels so I'm sure the same will be true for you.

As for DF2, as Fluffy says, it's the not the best anti-air except in specific MUs when you know the opponent will be jump happy, like Lao. Otherwise, better to use S1, D1, D2, B2, Ground Kat, or Flawless Block, range depending, or D3 to dodge. DF2's main use is a side switch or unbreakable damage, both of which are really important, so while, sure, I'd love it to anti-air better, I'm glad for what it does do. Also, against an airborne opponent that has been hit high F24, DF2 will connect while Ground Kat will miss, so additional utility there as well.

Yeah sure you should not use it as a primary AA. But they gave it a KB so it would be nice if it was a little more viable against jump-happy opponents.

You can do that after a F34 on hit. But with a cat-ender it is, at least for Jacqui, punishable with BF2 and with B2 for a full combo.

My last 2 games of the season. A zoning JC Outtake and a Baraka i B22 whiffed punished to death. I've had better games but i edited it a little for fun.

99% of my matches were with Kotal, a handful counterpicks after a loss but other than those it was all Totemic.
Never played Kotal in ranked before so after a rough start I finished with a record around 55W-50L - 2805 points (Grand Master). Unfortunately i cant play long enough to grind to (Elder) God but the more i played the better it went.

For the next season i'm gonna try some Ascension to have some variety. Kotal Kahn is a fuckin blast to play!

Jeffrey Wolf

@Slymind, good question. I use Blood Totem but as a later layer of oki. Specifically, I check to see if the opponent is respecting F2 pressure after knockdown. If so, I'll switch to a mix of dash up grab, F3, jump ins, or Slam, which will normally make them delay wake up even longer, at which point I'll safely use Blood Totem, which will not only get me a totem but also make them want to get up sooner which starts the whole process again. In the above matches, I never really reached that final stage of oki. Beyond that use, I'll also prioritize getting Blood Totems out when I'm low on life and will otherwise die.

The above said, I want to get much better at using Blood Totem in neutral, so I won't be sacrificing pressure oki and can get something positive out what would otherwise likely just be me chucking a disc. Moving forward, instead of throwing disc after Parry, I should try using a totem, or just when I notice the opponent backing away. It's tricky, of course, due to the long recovery and because there's very limited use at the start of the match, but I'd say it and using Parry better are the two big things I still need to improve on. I'd love to be able to sneak Blood Totem out on block sometimes like Buluc can condition the opponent to do with Damage Totem, but with these frames...it's gonna have to be neutral I think, lol.

Nice stuff @MeSoFoolish, all the best next season!

Hi there.

New season, new video.

My patience was tested today with a lot of counterpicks with one goal: outzoning me.
I did not upload the first matches of the first 2 games. In both i'm up 1-0.

P.S. Yes i know (now) subs ice ball is a high, i had doubts and i didn't wanna find out the hard way haha.