What's new

Guide - Blood God Kotal Kahn parry flop

DestructionGodX

God Of Destruction
If a false blockstring has a 1 frame gap (and I'm pretty sure that's the case with both of the demonstrated examples) then why would Kotal's EX parry be expected to work against it?

I get that Kotal boyz (eh?) wanna be all:
but sometimes it helps to take a minute to understand what your own tools actually do.
I understand. This also happen against every other character in the game. So dumb.....just used these 2 for examples.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I understand. This also happen against every other character in the game.
Does it? Well, I suppose it can if you create 1 frame gaps for the sake of it.

But let's go over this properly so you know what's going on:

Now, I personally know Scorpion's 21 on block has a cancel advantage of precisely +20 on block, which is why I'm using this for the example.

If I follow up with the 4 part of the string, that takes 22 frames to become active, leaving a 2 frame gap, meaning Kotal has enough time to activate the EX parry and punish accordingly, as you can see in the video.

However, if I were to cancel the 21 on block into teleport (not that there's any reason to, again, this is just to show how the parry properties work), which takes 21 frames to become active, that creates a 1 frame gap, and in that 1 frame, Kotal is simply invincible to the incoming teleport. When the parry is active on the next frame, there isn't anything to parry because the teleport already collided with the prior invincibility frame.

Blood God lacking a traditional reversal can bring about some quirks more than others, but none of this is really a bug, it's ultimately just part of the burden you bear when you commit to play the variation.

DestructionGodX

God Of Destruction

Now, I personally know Scorpion's 21 on block has a cancel advantage of precisely +20 on block, which is why I'm using this for the example.

If I follow up with the 4 part of the string, that takes 22 frames to become active, leaving a 2 frame gap, meaning Kotal has enough time to activate the EX parry and punish accordingly, as you can see in the video.

However, if I were to cancel the 21 on block into teleport (not that there's any reason to, again, this is just to show how the parry properties work), which takes 21 frames to become active, that creates a 1 frame gap, and in that 1 frame, Kotal is simply invincible to the incoming teleport. When the parry is active on the next frame, there isn't anything to parry because the teleport already collided with the prior invincibility frame.

Blood God lacking a traditional reversal can bring about some quirks more than others, but none of this is really a bug, it's ultimately just part of the burden you bear when you commit to play the variation.
I get what you're sayin but I already know this.

Belial

Noob
Yeah that happens alot, way more than people would guess from that video, so I had to give up idea of "mastering parry", its pretty useless as of now, due to its inconsistancy. And some moves dont make any sense. Like in your video you can guess that "stance-cancelled moves"(Sonya) or "projectile moves"(KL) are affected by the bug, but thats not it. For example Jax b34 works the same way, so there is no way of telling when it fails you and you cant really know when you hit the 1-frame moment, especially if you parry strings. Like I said there are dozens examples of this bullshit.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

I understand what you are saying here from a mechanics standpoint, but I do not understand the reasoning? I have never played Kotal so I don't know what would/wouldn't benefit him, but I am curious why the parry for example, would be intentionally designed this way. Is it because the intent is for it to not be used in the way that OP is asking for?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I understand what you are saying here from a mechanics standpoint, but I do not understand the reasoning? I have never played Kotal so I don't know what would/wouldn't benefit him, but I am curious why the parry for example, would be intentionally designed this way. Is it because the intent is for it to not be used in the way that OP is asking for?
Well I'm not behind the buttons so I can't say for sure but my guess would be that there's something within the current engine that prevents parries being active faster than 2 frames without creating other mechanical issues. As far as I remember all parries in MK9 and Injustice 1 weren't actually active until at least the 2nd frame either. Kotal's EX parry was also slower than this for a while so I suppose when they buffed it this was the best NRS could offer.

The OP's gripe seems to be that he can be punished for attempting to use EX parry between a 1 frame gap. If he's already aware of why this is happening, he could just... not do it.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Well I'm not behind the buttons so I can't say for sure but my guess would be that there's something within the current engine that prevents parries being active faster than 2 frames without creating other mechanical issues. As far as I remember all parries in MK9 and Injustice 1 weren't actually active until at least the 2nd frame either. Kotal's EX parry was also slower than this for a while so I suppose when they buffed it this was the best NRS could offer.

The OP's gripe seems to be that he can be punished for attempting to use EX parry between a 1 frame gap. If he's already aware of why this is happening, he could just... not do it.
Definitely makes sense. Thanks.

And yea I agree with that second part lol.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face

Dr. Frame Data Strykie #Kreygasm