What's new

Kotal Kahn Kahncepts

Kekoa

Noob

Unblockable setup that will:
  • Stuff U+2
  • Punish U+3 and breaker
  • Cover all of Geras' other getup options (Including forward/back roll and throw not shown)
  • Does NOT cover delayed getup. Kotal will be full combo punished.

Slight walk back perfectly spacing Geras' U+2 allowing for a KB whiff punish.

Last edited:

Kekoa

Noob

F3 has a start up of 17 frames, -5 on block, +16 on hit.

Can be used as a starter (F3~Kahn Cut) if you commit, a stagger at -5 on block or +16 on hit if you don't commit, or as F34 which is -3 on block.

However, aside from the stand/crouch block issues F34 currently has, it's also very easy to flawless block. You can flawless block on the 1st or 2nd hit since there is a gap. Flawless blocking the 2nd hit is by far the easiest and makes a safe string like F34 a seemingly easy punish.

How do you guys feel about his F34?

Kekoa

Noob

Kotal Kahn has a lot of solid options after a F3 on hit. This video focuses on his S1 tick throw and different ways to punish the opponent when they try to avoid Kotal's command grab.

After a F3 on hit midscreen, dash S1 jails into your tick throw. After conditioning with your S1 tick throw, you can punish attempts to avoid the command grab. There is a gap in your 12 string allowing the opponent to jump (which is their only way of avoiding your command grab), affecting what combos you can convert into. S1~Kahn Cut will give you the best conversions for damage and 12~Kahn Cut allows you to go into your unblockable setup that stuffs all of Geras' getup options.

In the corner, this gets even better because your raw command grab becomes a frame trap after a F3 on hit.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
Thank you for taking the time to put together this info and upload it, particularly the last one.

To your question about F34, I think it's an incredibly important tool for Kotal, due to his lack of quick mids. The gap is both a positive and negative. Negative because you can't just throw out the full string whenever you wish, but slight positive because if people are focused on flawless blocking it, their reaction will be slightly slower after a blocked F3 making it not quite as minus.

In terms of further tech, though Kotal's Parry isn't what I hoped for after using it in MKX, it has some definite uses, which is what I'm focused on exploring to up my Kotal game. That and flawless blocking myself, since Kotal has a very strong U2 and usually plenty of meter in his Ascension variation.

Kekoa

Noob
Thank you for taking the time to put together this info and upload it, particularly the last one.

To your question about F34, I think it's an incredibly important tool for Kotal, due to his lack of quick mids. The gap is both a positive and negative. Negative because you can't just throw out the full string whenever you wish, but slight positive because if people are focused on flawless blocking it, their reaction will be slightly slower after a blocked F3 making it not quite as minus.

In terms of further tech, though Kotal's Parry isn't what I hoped for after using it in MKX, it has some definite uses, which is what I'm focused on exploring to up my Kotal game. That and flawless blocking myself, since Kotal has a very strong U2 and usually plenty of meter in his Ascension variation.
Couldn't agree more on his F34. Good to know you can't abuse it and it has the potential to make F3 stronger on block.

His F3 has been amazing so far. Seems to catch a lot of players off guard/walking back which is why I explored his options off F3 on hit. Before, I would just commit into Kahn Cut, jail into F12 or go into F24. Dash S1 jailing gives that situation a lot more depth (stagger S1, S1 tic throw, condition and punish) and should let Kotal go to work.

I haven't explored much into his parry yet but its on my to do list. Let me know what you find! And thank you for the feedback, much appreciated. @Jeffrey Wolf

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I think S1 tick throw is useless outside of specific setups, namely them respecting your options are normal command grab and you wavedash J1.

I don't like S1 after F3, it they ate f3 they must not be blocking/doing things and I'd rather not risk tick throws in this kind of game where crouching, jumping, d1ing and being an orangutan in general is encouraged, esp with a character that doesn't have mids.

Kekoa

Noob
I think S1 tick throw is useless outside of specific setups, namely them respecting your options are normal command grab and you wavedash J1.

I don't like S1 after F3, it they ate f3 they must not be blocking/doing things and I'd rather not risk tick throws in this kind of game where crouching, jumping, d1ing and being an orangutan in general is encouraged, esp with a character that doesn't have mids.
After a F3 on hit (+16) they can't jump or D1 and it doesn't matter if they crouch since the S1 jails. If you think they're going to jump out of a S1 tick throw you can jail a S1 stagger (+17 on hit, -2 on block), 12 stagger (+6 on hit, -2 on block), 122 for knockdown (+39 on hit if grounded, +41 on hit if they jumped during the gap between 1-22 after blocking the 1, -6 on block),or commit with S1~Kahn Cut (optimal damage if they jump after a blocked S1), 12~Kahn Cut, or any of your other guaranteed options outside of S1.

What are the specific setups you use for S1 tick throw?

What do you typically do after F3 on hit when you do not commit into Kahn Cut? @Qwark28

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
After a F3 on hit (+16) they can't jump or D1 and it doesn't matter if they crouch since the S1 jails. If you think they're going to jump out of a S1 tick throw you can jail a S1 stagger (+17 on hit, -2 on block), 12 stagger (+6 on hit, -2 on block), 122 for knockdown (+39 on hit if grounded, +41 on hit if they jumped during the gap between 1-22 after blocking the 1, -6 on block),or commit with S1~Kahn Cut (optimal damage if they jump after a blocked S1), 12~Kahn Cut, or any of your other guaranteed options outside of S1.

What are the specific setups you use for S1 tick throw?

What do you typically do after F3 on hit when you do not commit into Kahn Cut? @Qwark28
I'm gonna be using the 12 hitconfirm after f3 on hit but I'd never do s1 command grab like that. It was a risky thing in MKX, a game where if someone wasn't blocking they'd eat 46%. In this game, life matters a lot more, and you're encouraged to D2, jump, poke etc and if your grab whiffs a shitton of characters have krushing blows for punishes.

I'd rather go straight into command grab or 12 hitconfirm rather than risk my life trying to guess if my opponent isn't an idiot for 12/18%.

The only time I tickthrow from S1 is after a J1 from normal command grab oki, when they respect my meaties.