What's new

Kotal Kahn General Discussion

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
Hi guys, maybe you can help me. Info is getting harder to find these days. I want to pick up Kotal, which variations do you guys think is his best so I can start learning him. Thank you.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
lol wait, they nerfed Buluc???... so what's the point of stacking a damage on a defense totem now- like how is it different than a damage totem and a defense totem placed in separate areas?
If you stack them both on the same stack you get to use one of each. If you do one and then another you get the second one after the first runs out.

To be fair the Lvl 1 Defense Totem is pretty buff. I really dont think hes much worse for it

Note that they did not fix the glitch where
...if you have a lv1 defense totem
...put up a 2 dmg totem stack elsewhere (has to be a 2-stack, 1-stack won't do)

then you continue having the defense totem buff even after the defense totem expires, for as long as that second totem stack remains (so at that point you should upgrade it to a 3-stack pretty fast, to buy yourself an extra 10s of +60% dmg and +20% dmg reduction).

Buluc is not trash, it's just not unga bunga anymore
Buluc is not as bad as something like Frost's V1 but why play Buluc at this point? It seems like Ascension or Totemic are better in a final count.

The totems are the thing that really define that variation. I don't think the shield is enough.

UghGetOuttaHere

Number Cruncher. Jack of All Trades.
So for varation 2 amp kat is safe to moves slower than 6 frames. And the air amp kat is completely safe and even +1 (maybe more i forget) if you aim it to hit the opponents lower leg. Adds some pressure to Totemic.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Buluc is not as bad as something like Frost's V1 but why play Buluc at this point? It seems like Ascension or Totemic are better in a final count.

The totems are the thing that really define that variation. I don't think the shield is enough.
Because in some matchups you get totems up for free. And every combo you do is unbreakable, while the breakable ones end in armour breaking saw for 400+.

Buluc is completely unbreakable massive damage, very safe neutral, good pressure and guaranteed wins that have easy conditions based on bar/hp.

In those regards, it's better than ascension even though ascension is a better variation overall. He's a super good neutral character.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Is Totemic not worth playing? Or just not as intuitive if you're new to the character?
Totemic is better now for sure, but it's very matchup specific and people generally feel Buluc can do the same gameplan but better and more versatile. If you like it though give it a shot. I'd have it in your back pocket for zoning heavy matchups.

UghGetOuttaHere

You will never need totemic in any matchup if you know how to play the other 2. It's loaded with dead weight specials that are heavily flawed.
Im not sure this is true. Amp kat and air amp kat are both solid moves after buffs. It has blood totem... but id rather have blood over the nerfed defense totem.
Speaking of... im guessing the new play is to ignore defense all together and just triple stack damage?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Im not sure this is true. Amp kat and air amp kat are both solid moves after buffs. It has blood totem... but id rather have blood over the nerfed defense totem.
Speaking of... im guessing the new play is to ignore defense all together and just triple stack damage?
Amp cat can be broken out of and punished on hit, is punishable by 80% of the cast on block and can't be done on reaction to 90% of the game's projectiles.

Air cat is the only variation specific special that's actually solid.

blood totem is straight up bad, not worth stacking at all.

Yep

UghGetOuttaHere

Amp cat can be broken out of and punished on hit, is punishable by 80% of the cast on block and can't be done on reaction to 90% of the game's projectiles.

Air cat is the only variation specific special that's actually solid.

blood totem is straight up bad, not worth stacking at all.

Yep
I agree with most of what you said. Except blocked amp kat cant be full punished by most characters anymore. Has to be a 6 frame jab.

Ascension for the best overall performance.
Buluc if you want a better sun but not to miss out on dmg.

Totemic is if you want extra mobility (easy approach past zoning, easy corner escape) and just like kitties. Amped versions of which are safe on block now... but being able to breakaway from a kat in the corner (and punish!) is a very real concern.

Totemic does really suffer in the dmg department compared to the other two, though you can get in extra air kitty hits from positions you otherwise couldn't punish from.

Blood totem is a poor backup for when you cannot safely get a sun out (which is admittedly most of the time). It's not great, but once I started using it more often, it became an extra 100-200 health. Enh.

Wait they nerfed defensive totems?