What's new

Kotal Kahn General Discussion

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
Yeah, it's an error. Been that way since release. On the upside, I've started to use s4 when it the corner to get space. Works pretty well on hit and block even though it's a high.

Reactions: Ram

Jeffrey Wolf

Nice find. The 4 in F24 will also punish a back roll if you do a meaty F2 after a Cat knockdown, while a slight walk forward and neutral jump will punish forward roll. Still though, good to know about the Disk option.

Btw, grats on being the top ranked Kotal this season for awhile.

Jeffrey Wolf

Yup! And congrats on getting God with Kotal--just go there myself a few days ago. There's another Kotal who's in the top 100 of God, but their match recordings have a number of DNF so not sure how legit that is.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Not really. There is so much push back on it that most jabs just whiff. And if you space the move on the tip there is even more pushback.
I was using it against jacqui, and she tried retaliating with f3, d4, d1, d3 and they all whiffed. Also jax's f3,3. With backdash its kinda crazy.
Sounds good. Gonna try to work with it.

Oh wow. Just tested out the b4 pushback and ya'll ain't messing around.

You can walk back shimmy Raiden's b1 the pushback is so good.

How did I ever survive without this??

Jeffrey Wolf

Full disclosure: I almost never use B4. However, I played against a solid Kotal recently who used it and I thought, "I should starting doing that!" but I still haven't, lol. Thanks for mentioning it so I really go lab it this time!

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
B4 is really good. I use it to check advancing strings (because I don't trust the range/hitboxes of S1 and F1) and trip guard badly spaced jumps

I have difficulty enforcing F4 off D1. It's guaranteed but properly confirming the poke makes it tight so it's good knowing B4 gives me

1. More guaranteed way to enforce that +10
  2. More breathing room if they respect it (f4 is awful for this if they crouch block)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I have difficulty enforcing F4 off D1. It's guaranteed but properly confirming the poke makes it tight so it's good knowing B4 gives me

1. More guaranteed way to enforce that +10
  2. More breathing room if they respect it (f4 is awful for this if they crouch block)
You don't need to enforce F4. You jail into 12 and frametrap into command grab. You're picking the least reward you could possibly get from them disrespecting D1.

You don't need to enforce F4. You jail into 12 and frametrap into command grab. You're picking the least reward you could possibly get from them disrespecting D1.
12 whiffs alot for me trying to jail against a d1

Also same issue with F4 where it's a tight window to confirm the poke. A couple frames late and I eat it

While B4 may be the least rewarding (still rewarding) on hit. But its the MOST rewarding move on block. The opponent cannot grab you, poke you(with the exception of long pokes) , or do any close ranged strings/specials. Its better than f4 for close ranged checking.

Jeffrey Wolf

Yeah, F4 has it's place but the move also has problems (i.e. not the best up close and HUGE whiff recovery). Out of the "4" buttons, I think D4 is the most useful, but now that I'm trying it more, I definitely think B4 has a greater number of uses than I initially gave it credit for.

Also, Tony, I'd recommend you use D3 more than D1 as it's easier to jail into 122 and the staggers/ender off of that string are good.

Yeah, D3 I can confirm into 12 jail all day. It's my main poke and by far the one I use most often.

But if I'm poking to challenge plus frames or disrespect me being -3 I tend to go for D1

Also worth noting vs a neutral advantage string, D1 will reliably catch neutral jumps that you can juggle into damage while D3 whiffs. So I'll use it more often if I think my opponent is holding up

Jeffrey Wolf

That's a good point @Tony at Home. F3 is even better for creating juggle states against a jumping opponent. Of course, it's not usable in the same situations that D1 is.

@Evil Canadian, you're a patch late my friend. Totemic is already solid mid =)

That said, it'd be fun to play with damage totem considering its insanely fast recovery time compared to the others. Plus, the fact that mixing stacks gives you the benefits of both...not sure if it will help much with Totemic's bad MU. Maybe Scorpion, as you could totem safely with damage. Will be interesting to try and see.

Jeffrey Wolf

Kotal gets his other two totems? Um, there's three left. lol. I'm going to crack up if damage isn't one of them or if he gets the spin disc move instead of beam.

I thought I heard the new variation being two totems + amplified sun disk.

Presumably with a modified version of that move because as is it seems very useless to me