What's new

Kotal Kahn General Discussion

DoctorSexual

XBL: DoctorSexual PSN: Osh-Tek
new to kotal. always been a baraka, jade and shao khan user.

for totemic, I know the jaguar pounce (bf2) does more damage than the sword cut (df2) as a combo ender.

question is; when do you use either?
You can use the sword ender for positional use since it allows you to switch sides if you meter burn it.

So if I'm cornered in tend to use EX sword to switch sides.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.

for totemic, I know the jaguar pounce (bf2) does more damage than the sword cut (df2) as a combo ender.

As someone stated, you can switch sides with the sword. The cat can be meter burned now and is only -6 on block, so if you are just throwing shit out or think you'll miss a hit confirm, use that (sword is -15). Cat has MASSIVE corner carry, so if you're trying to corner them use that.

And it is B F 4, not 2 homie. Not like you can't easily tell that, I apologize if that's a "fucking duh," from me.

EDIT: It's -8, my fault.

Last edited:

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.

And also, welcome to Club Kotal homie! Dude is a massive challenge to play, so be prepared. Good luck and Praise the Sun!

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
As someone stated, you can switch sides with the sword. The cat can be meter burned now and is only -6 on block, so if you are just throwing shit out or think you'll miss a hit confirm, use that (sword is -15). Cat has MASSIVE corner carry, so if you're trying to corner them use that.

And it is B F 4, not 2 homie. Not like you can't easily tell that, I apologize if that's a "fucking duh," from me.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Am I the only one who has massive trouble getting Kotal's strings to come out after a jump in punch? I don't have this problem with any other character but Kotal

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Am I the only one who has massive trouble getting Kotal's strings to come out after a jump in punch? I don't have this problem with any other character but Kotal
I had huge trouble doing this with D’Vorah. I think it’s either the slow normals or inputs being entered before the jip hits.

Moms4lif3

Bruh.
I don’t think he climbed any tiers.

Everyone below or around him got more significant buffs than he did.

He’s better now, for sure, but due to all the other changes in his tier, he’s probably still there.
Yup, he’s better now, but since basically all bottom tier characters got more significant buffs he now remains lonely in trash tier. Sorry Kotal, you’re all alone out there now ;(

Can someone tell me how his totems work? Been trying the totem variant since the cat buff. It just seems like he gets health back when totem expires, but if you take any damage whatsoever before totem goes away, it does absolutely nothing....? Wtf of thats the case its basically useless

Can someone tell me how his totems work? Been trying the totem variant since the cat buff. It just seems like he gets health back when totem expires, but if you take any damage whatsoever before totem goes away, it does absolutely nothing....? Wtf of thats the case its basically useless
If u deal dmg AND dont take any dmg before totem expires u get hp (altho with same totem as long as its out u can retry to deal dmg and get hp back). More totems , more hp .If u resummon a totem u can cash out the current hp u earned. To sum up the way u should use it : totem - combo - totem aggain = hp .

You summon the totem when you don't have enough time for sunlight, IMO. Then you either combo and upgrade the totem to cash out, or just let it be in the background and it's 50/50 if you get health back when it expires. lv1 totem health recovery is tiny, lv2 is actually noticeable, but you shouldn't go out of your way to put them out.

You can get health back before waiting for the totem to expire by doing damage and then summoning another totem that stacks on the previous. That gives you an instant "cash out".

Otherwise taking damage or chip while a totem is active penalizes or removes the reward.

Blood totem is garbage because of this.

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
Who is below him in the tier right now lmao
Ascension ;)

Seriously though, I recently played at a tournament and did better with Kat Kahn than Shao Kahn and I've played more Shao:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/465404798?t=02h29m09s

Could it be the MU or something else? Absolutely. But I think Totemic players will be pleasantly surprised with the number of MUs they can win now. And I plan to grind it to figure out exactly how many.

As for the blood totem question, I've posted this before, but I know there's a lot in this thread to go through, so here it is again:

Put out totem --> Hit the opponent --> Get life

Put out totem --> Hit the opponent --> Opponent hits you or you tech a grab --> Get no life

Put out totem --> Opponent hits you or you tech a throw --> Hit the opponent --> Get life

Put out totem --> Hit the opponent --> Opponent hits you --> Hit the opponent --> Get life off your hit after the opponent hit you not before

So, basically, it's like the old blood totem that stopped working after you got hit. But instead, it stays out, giving you another chance to get life from it without needing to resummon.

This also means that once you do get a hit, it's very important that you summon another totem to cash out the life you have gotten, because as soon as you get hit, it all goes away.

It sucks that teching a throw counts as a hit, but thankfully, blocking has nothing to do with it. You can be blocking when the totem expires and still get life back.

Hope this helps.

So with the new sunlight numbers too, you can tank up to 230 damage combos in the corner now which is pretty nice lol.

As far as blood totem, it's a long game. But when it pays out, God damn it is oppressive. Every session I play it I usually get one godly amount that they just pause the game or drop the controller and just looks at me defeated lol.

You do have to be vigilant with summoning, but you also have to be Rock solid on defense and know when to cash out. With the new cat dash frames it lets you meaty f2 and wave throws etc. But I try and back dash summon every now and then when they are scared etc. Or after f34 hits. If I already have a 2 stack I will almost always take hits to 3 stack.

Tested timeouts: it goes by percentage of health left (not the numeral value), so you can just glance at the bars if a round is running long.

If it's a draw by some miracle, in a 2-win set, if one party had a win already, it gave the win to the party WITHOUT wins.

If it's the last round (both sample characters have 1 win in a 2-win set), then on a draw it just randomly picks one of them.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Wolf

Correct me if I'm wrong but taking chip damage does penalize the life gain cash in, does it not?
It doesn't. At least not in the pre-patch testing I did. Only getting hit or teching a throw invalidates the health you have stored in the totem. If blocking did stop the health accumulation, it would really suck, lol.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
It doesn't. At least not in the pre-patch testing I did. Only getting hit or teching a throw invalidates the health you have stored in the totem. If blocking did stop the health accumulation, it would really suck, lol.
Blocking anything will prevent you from cashing in if the totem expires by itself.

Jeffrey Wolf

Blocking anything will prevent you from cashing in if the totem expires by itself.
That's untrue, unless it changed with the recent patch. I tested being in the middle of blockstun while the totem expired by itself, and I received health back. I should probably make a video about this considering how often it comes up =)