What's new

Kotal Kahn General Discussion

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Why can't we have regular command grab keep them on the same side, for the buff and less damage, and have EX switch sides for massive damage?
I’m sure you plus the whole community has been asking this and other reason since launch month...lol

...it must be nice playing top 5-10 though..imagine that power...the power of having good tools...

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Agreed. That's how Bane's was in Injustice. Regular is same side and EX does more damage and lets you choose the side with a direction.
I'd just be happy to Gief it, but I'd settle for Bane. Two things real quickly. Number one, your name is fucking fabulous, as is your picture. And two, yes, can we please have that? I'm still playing Kotal in ranked and God it sucks.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
P
I’m sure you plus the whole community has been asking this and other reason since launch month...lol

...it must be nice playing top 5-10 though..imagine that power...the power of having good tools...
No kidding bud. I do imagine, lol. Especially Black, because I am a cowboy, you'd think that would suit me. But fuck they're SO BORING.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
If we do get a change where only amp cmd grab switches sides, it would be nice if Kotal threw opponents the same medium distance for both grabs so we can still meaty f2. The amp grab putting them full screen is awful...

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
• Kotal Kahn - Now has 1100 health points (up from 1000)

• Kotal Kahn - Coatl Parry now starts up in 10 frames (was 14), recovers 1 frame faster

• Kotal Kahn - Attacks that connect with Coatl Parry now recover as if they have been Flawless Blocked

• Kotal Kahn - Tecuani Maul startup is 17 frames (was 19), recovers 16 frames faster on block, recovers 33 frames faster on miss, recovers 13 frames faster on hit, hit region adjusted

• Kotal Kahn - Tecuani Maul amplified recovers 20 frames faster on block, recovers 33 frames faster on miss, recovers 13 frames faster on hit, and has a new visual effect

• Kotal Kahn - (Air) Tecuani Pounce startup is 14 frames (was 13), recovers 3 frames faster on block/miss, and has 5 more frames of blockstun with increased pushback

• Kotal Kahn - (Air) Tecuani Pounce Amplified startup is 1 frame slower, recovers 8 frames faster on block/miss, and has 5 more frames of blockstun with increased pushback

• Kotal Kahn - Mehtizquia (Away + Back Punch, Back Punch, Front Kick) now has airborne frames that match the animation

• Kotal Kahn - Hammer Slam (Jump + Back Punch) and Straight Kick (Jump + Front Kick) had their cancel frames adjusted

• Kotal Kahn - Side Strike (Down + Front Kick) startup is now 8 frames (was 9), recovers 3 frames faster, and has 4 more frames of hitstun

• Kotal Kahn - Warrior Spin (Down + Back Kick) has 1 more frame of hitstun

• Kotal Kahn - Fixed issue with Tonatiuh Beam sometimes not working correctly after a krushing blow occurs

Some nice buffs here. Having 100 more health is just good, especially when some characters now have 950 health. That's a significant difference. His amplified Tecuani Pounce can be safe on block.

Any idea what this change to Mehtizquia(B223) is? At first I thought it might give a combo in the corner but I'm not sure.

DoctorSexual

XBL: DoctorSexual PSN: Osh-Tek
New D3 is an amazing tool and new cat properties really open up Kotals oki in Totemic but calling the rest of what he got "buffs" is blasphemous.

It doesn't matter how fast you make parry or how much advantage you give on a single hit, if it doesn't actually PARRY then it's always going to be fucking trash when every character has gapless B&Bs out the ass. It's still useless. It's still a parlor trick.

The fact that Shao literally had 36 fucking frames cut from his buff yet we still have literally useless totems just goes to show that for whatever reason NRS is intent on either keeping Kotal shit tier or trying to force some unknown or misunderstood playing style down our throat.

IB Kotal cultists attacking me for being shit at the game and just not understanding fighting games and why a parry that by its very nature is designed to give you literally no real advantage in real world scenarios when it connects is a game changer...

Moms4lif3

Bruh.
I don’t really play totemic (mainly because I thought it’s trash) and I feel like none of those buffs really help kotal.

He still has sluggish movement, his moves still whiff, he’s still unsafe on things that shouldn’t really be unsafe (looking at you f122), he still constantly puts the opponent out of the corner.

Buffing his d3 and d4 is great, his pokes were unusable in a lot of matchups before.
It definitely helps him jail into other stuff, but in the end it doesn’t help opening people up really. You just have to wait and block a teeny bit longer now and wait for kotal to be negative/unsafe. His pressure is still trash.

Moms4lif3

Bruh.
Totemic might be a lot better now, I really don’t know, but this variation was utter garbage before the patch. I am glad they made it usable but the character really had other issues which they did not address.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I feel Kotal definitely climbed tiers. The fact he can jail from pokes is monumental to say the least. I'm hoping they add some hotfixes and allow him to choose what side they go to on CMD Grab and maybe shave off frames on his Sunlight/Totems recovery.

Overall I'm happy with the changes but hope there are more for all on the roster especially since there are still hitbox issues across the cast:
Kollector's F12 xx Bola still wiffs at max range
Johnny fireball still wiffs vs crouching block females.
Kotal's B223 still wiffs vs jumping opponents on last hit

Meanwhile Kollector and D'Vorah are high tiers and Geras got a huge buff and Baraka, Jax & Kabal slip into Top 5

Was the gap in b22 always "safe" with a parry cancel or is this new?

I have a ton of thoughts about the patch notes but I really need to take Kotal for a spin in Kombat League after work today to really get a feel for things. Overall I'm really happy. D3 buff is great. D4 feels sliiiightly easier to jail into microdash f1 at certain ranges. Parry I will need to investigate more because it was so garbo before I don't even have a baseline for how to gauge improvements. -8 amp kitty, dunno how to feel. A fair amount of characters can't jab into full punish so it could be a gimmicky d1 cancel in certain matchups.

Last edited:
He seems pretty much exactly where he was before. But it's hard to say without a lot of games. The HP buff maybe more impactful than we think. I've definitely had several games where an extra 100 up would help.

The poke fixes help Ascension a large amount.

The parry is actually good after testing. It doesn't show true frames when you use it but it is definitely improved. Figuring out how to use it besides anti zoning is another matter.

Totemic changes let him get in easier on some of his harder matchups. I wish the totems got love, but hopefully what he got is enough.

I am excited that I can farm his skins now in towers lol and to return to playing him. The upper tiers getting some tiers can't hurt. But geras buffs will definitely have me considering counter picks still.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I feel Kotal definitely climbed tiers. The fact he can jail from pokes is monumental to say the least. I'm hoping they add some hotfixes and allow him to choose what side they go to on CMD Grab and maybe shave off frames on his Sunlight/Totems recovery.

Overall I'm happy with the changes but hope there are more for all on the roster especially since there are still hitbox issues across the cast:
Kollector's F12 xx Bola still wiffs at max range
Johnny fireball still wiffs vs crouching block females.
Kotal's B223 still wiffs vs jumping opponents on last hit

Meanwhile Kollector and D'Vorah are high tiers and Geras got a huge buff and Baraka, Jax & Kabal slip into Top 5
I don’t think he climbed any tiers.

Everyone below or around him got more significant buffs than he did.

He’s better now, for sure, but due to all the other changes in his tier, he’s probably still there.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
I'm dying. Tried not to have a knee-jerk reaction to the patch, but I've been stewing on it all day. They didn't fix ANY of his core issues.

Unsafe strings? Still unsafe.
Useless moves like standing 4? Still useless
Command grab rescuing opponents from the corner? Still trading places
One variation has no damage or combo options? Still a lame duck.

Oh, but the cat specials are slightly better now. Wonderful, perfect. Character fixed.

Adding more health is an admission of guilt. NRS knows he can't hang with the other characters so they're giving him a pre-match blood transfusion to keep him standing an extra few seconds.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I'm not gonna argue with anyone, because I don't think there's a point, so here's my opinion on kotal.

"Kotal got very good minor buffs, with D3 being by far the most significant.

That said, he's still bottom 2. But any matchup you could arguably call 7-3 has been eliminated, me, furious pillow and harold had a podcast ( uploading RN ) and we couldn't find any matchup that bad. "

His core issue, not being able to jail, was fixed. He got some extra health, which double dips with sunlight, and cat is only punishable as a just-frame vs 7f S1 chars.

People who still complain should just deal with it and pick up a new character.

Last edited:

Slymind

Noob
Im on PC and i cannot wait to get the patch. From what i've seen so far, it was a step in the right direction.

The changes i truly wanted is for 1,2,2 to be plus on block and Xolal Quake cancel for one defensive meter bar. but i'm satisfied with the changes for now, similar to Kano, the focus was more on his less used variation, hopefully in they future they revisit Ascension. Tournament season is over, maybe he will be ready for the next one.

I'm very disappointed for this patch,Kotal was one of my fav ch,i was really hoping for his comeback but, he still has the same flaws as before..shame.