What's new

Kotal Kahn Combo Thread

Hi!
Do you guys know the effects of the totems? I practiced a little and didn't find out exactly... and couldn't find it here in the forums!

Thanks!

Stuck

Mid Tier Whore. 1 combo and a dream.
Seriously, why is F1,2 so freaking hard to land after launcher. Is there a more consistent option after launch that can be cancelled into sun choke? Other characters I’ve played don’t have such strict timing. If there aren’t other options, what’s your method to not dropping it?

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Seriously, why is F1,2 so freaking hard to land after launcher. Is there a more consistent option after launch that can be cancelled into sun choke? Other characters I’ve played don’t have such strict timing. If there aren’t other options, what’s your method to not dropping it?
Watch where your oponents body is after u launch him and f12 right before he lands on the floor, just test abit and u get it down when to f12. When u do f21 too early wich u probably often do, u will get something else come out and u drop the comb. Its abit of weird timing but u get used to it.

Stuck

Mid Tier Whore. 1 combo and a dream.
Watch where your oponents body is after u launch him and f12 right before he lands on the floor, just test abit and u get it down when to f12. When u do f21 too early wich u probably often do, u will get something else come out and u drop the comb. Its abit of weird timing but u get used to it.
I’ll focus on the opponents body position/height. I’ll get in a rhythm with it, then the next day I’m dropping everything. I’d like to know how many frames the window is. I sometimes do it late too.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Tips for the KB kombos?

So like for a D1 uppercut KB you go into 1, Kahn cut then 12 command grab. Sometimes the grab misses or the 12 doesn't come out at all.

For the f122 KB you do f1 kahn cut into 12 command grab and again, I get lots of whiffs or the 12 just not coming out.

Also if these notations are wrong its probably because im half asleep right now but im sure you guys know what im talking about lol

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
i really wish you could combo off of f14.. that would be a really good starter but you cant do jack after it
I think the fundamental design flaw with kotals mix is that he was designed around F34/F3-Tick as his main mix-up. The rest where intentionally made unsafe and somewhat unwise to use in many situations.

If F3 tick was fixed with no option to delay OS I think he could be great so as long as his hitboxes are fixed: specifically B2, S1, S2, F1, F2, F4, D1 and D3.

His CG having such a shit hitbox and not being able to choose sides is also a fundamental flaw. He is a great footsie character just with vanilla issues that no doubt will be patched.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
I think the fundamental design flaw with kotals mix is that he was designed around F34/F3-Tick as his main mix-up. The rest where intentionally made unsafe and somewhat unwise to use in many situations.

If F3 tick was fixed with no option to delay OS I think he could be great so as long as his hitboxes are fixed: specifically B2, S1, S2, F1, F2, F4, D1 and D3.

His CG having such a shit hitbox and not being able to choose sides is also a fundamental flaw. He is a great footsie character just with vanilla issues that no doubt will be patched.
What's wrong w/ B2, F2 and F4 hitboxes? I never have issues with those.

LawAbidingCitizen

Tips for the KB kombos?

So like for a D1 uppercut KB you go into 1, Kahn cut then 12 command grab. Sometimes the grab misses or the 12 doesn't come out at all.

For the f122 KB you do f1 kahn cut into 12 command grab and again, I get lots of whiffs or the 12 just not coming out.

Also if these notations are wrong its probably because im half asleep right now but im sure you guys know what im talking about lol
Kotals KB Kahnbows:

Notation:

FF= forward dash
xx = CANCEL INTO
CG = Sun Choke/Command Grab
Kahn-Cut = DF2

1= square-PS4/X-XB1
2= Triangle-PS4/Y-XB1
3= X-PS4/A-XB1
4= O-PS4/B-XB1

F= Forward on D-Pad
B= Back on D-Pad
D= Down on D-Pad
U= Up on D-Pad

------------------------------------------------------------------
F122 Krushing Blow(very unsafe) use to punish or wiff punish

F122- F1 Kahn-cut FF xx D1, F12 xx CG
F122, F1 kc FF xx D1, 122 (HKD) full screen launcher

D2 KB Kahnbows:

D2, F12 xx Kahn-cut/CG
D2, FF xx D1, 12 xx Kahn-cut (corner carry)/CG (switches sides).

Papa Kahn's Pizza KB:
Simply throw disk and hold while they have projectiles in air. (22%)

BnB Kahnbows:

Corner carry:

Hit confirmable:
F12 xx Kahn-cut, F12 xx Kahn-cut
F24 xx Kahn-cut F12 xx Kahn-cut
F12 xx Kahn-cut, FF xx D1, F12 xx Kahn-cut
F24 xx Kahn-cut, FF xx D1, F12 xx Kahn-cut
F12 xx Kahn-cut, FF xx D1, 122
F24 xx Kahn-cut, FF xx D1, 122 (Hard knockdown)

Not hit confirmable:
F3 xx Kahn-cut, FF xx D1, 12/122/F12 xx Kahn-cut.

Side switch swaggy Kahnbows:

F12 xx Kahn-cut, FF xx D1 F12 xx CG
F24 xx Kahn-cut FF xx D1 F12 xx CG
Wiff Punishers (side switch):
B22 xx Kahn-cut FF xx D1 F12 xx CG
F3 xx Kahn-cut FF xx D1 F12 xx CG

Notes:
Amplify CG to reset neutral or leave it meterless to get follow up meaty.

Best way to get sunlight out is off 34 enders, F34 launch and 122 enders.

Best place to use Quake is max range(is punishable everywhere being 41f startup).

Last edited:

LawAbidingCitizen

What's wrong w/ B2, F2 and F4 hitboxes? I never have issues with those.
B223 Max range first hit connects on block but second wiffs. So high into wiff into gap.
F2 doesn't connect until very last part of animation so it's easily poked out.
F4 can be ducked at max range by certain characters.

I found it because my gameplay style with him is to stay max range of my moves and thiers while untilizing pushback and wiff to my advantage. Hitting on last active gives better block adv. The F4 was hard to find and didn't happen often but can lose you games. Against Kollector F4 connects but on females and some males it wiffs crouching characters where it normally connects on block.

Last edited:
His f4 indeed does this, but also nearly every character has similar stuff because of how hurtboxes are designed.

The b22 I do wish was fixed because it seems unintentional to land a B2 and whiff the second hit.

Can you list damage numbers on combos? I thought dash 34 ender was good damage after launches because of scaling and wall carry.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Kotals KB Kahnbows:

Notation:

FF= forward dash
xx = CANCEL INTO
CG = Sun Choke/Command Grab
Kahn-Cut = DF2

1= square-PS4/X-XB1
2= Triangle-PS4/Y-XB1
3= X-PS4/A-XB1
4= O-PS4/B-XB1

F= Forward on D-Pad
B= Back on D-Pad
D= Down on D-Pad
U= Up on D-Pad

------------------------------------------------------------------
F122 Krushing Blow(very unsafe) use to punish or wiff punish

F122- FF xx D1, F12 xx Kahn-cut/CG
F122, FF xx D1, 122 (HKD) full screen launcher

D2 KB Kahnbows:

D2, F12 xx Kahn-cut/CG
D2, FF xx D1, 12 xx Kahn-cut (corner carry)/CG (switches sides).

Papa Kahn's Pizza KB:
Simply throw disk and hold while they have projectiles in air. (22%)

BnB Kahnbows:

Corner carry:

Hit confirmable:
F12 xx Kahn-cut, F12 xx Kahn-cut
F24 xx Kahn-cut F12 xx Kahn-cut
F12 xx Kahn-cut, FF xx D1, F12 xx Kahn-cut
F24 xx Kahn-cut, FF xx D1, F12 xx Kahn-cut
F12 xx Kahn-cut, FF xx D1, 122
F24 xx Kahn-cut, FF xx D1, 122 (Hard knockdown)

Not hit confirmable:
F3 xx Kahn-cut, FF xx D1, 12/122/F12 xx Kahn-cut.

Side switch swaggy Kahnbows:

F12 xx Kahn-cut, FF xx D1 F12 xx CG
F24 xx Kahn-cut FF xx D1 F12 xx CG
Wiff Punishers (side switch):
B22 xx Kahn-cut FF xx D1 F12 xx CG
F3 xx Kahn-cut FF xx D1 F12 xx CG

Notes:
Amplify CG to reset neutral or leave it meterless to get follow up meaty.

Best way to get sunlight out is off 34 enders, F34 launch and 122 enders.

Best place to use Quake is max range(is punishable everywhere being 41f startup).
you have listed really bad kb combos. Bnb is F122 f1 kc 12 cg

LawAbidingCitizen

His f4 indeed does this, but also nearly every character has similar stuff because of how hurtboxes are designed.

The b22 I do wish was fixed because it seems unintentional to land a B2 and whiff the second hit.

Can you list damage numbers on combos? I thought dash 34 ender was good damage after launches because of scaling and wall carry.
I'll try to update damage at later time when I have game in front of me.

As for many characters having similar issues like F4 wiff at max range. I hope all characters hitboxes are fixed.

LawAbidingCitizen

I was specifically referring to kb combos, that one does way more dmg.
Feel free to add what you like and provide better options in post.
I'm sure my D2 combos are not optimal. For what's it's worth:
I do the forward dash in combos to fix his wiffing and side switch issues.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
you have listed really bad kb combos. Bnb is F122 f1 kc 12 cg
Any tips on landing this consistently? For some reason the 12 doesn't want to come out even though the game says I am pressing them since I have inputs on, also sometimes it does come out but command grab doesn't reach. I can land it sometimes but I am not sure why I am doing it sometime and not all the time.

LawAbidingCitizen

Any tips on landing this consistently? For some reason the 12 doesn't want to come out even though the game says I am pressing them since I have inputs on, also sometimes it does come out but command grab doesn't reach. I can land it sometimes but I am not sure why I am doing it sometime and not all the time.
He may have a different tip but mine us to forward dash before the F1. For me it makes everything connect once you get it down.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Ok so im an idiot. Off of Uppercut KB you can actually just do f1 Kahn Cut 12 grab and it works very consistently and does nice damage. And I seem to be getting the hang of the f122 KB f1 Kahn Cut 12 grab. Now ill be getting more damage than I was previously lol

LawAbidingCitizen

Ok so im an idiot. Off of Uppercut KB you can actually just do f1 Kahn Cut 12 grab and it works very consistently and does nice damage. And I seem to be getting the hang of the f122 KB f1 Kahn Cut 12 grab. Now ill be getting more damage than I was previously lol
Good shit man. Glad you got it. Yeah you can add a forward dash into D1, F1 Kahn-cut to get extra damage. I think it's 1 more percent but it's a tighter link.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Good shit man. Glad you got it. Yeah you can add a forward dash into D1, F1 Kahn-cut to get extra damage. I think it's 1 more percent but it's a tighter link.
Thanks! Are you talking about this one from the post you listed earlier " F122- F1 Kahn-cut FF xx D1, F12 xx CG " ? I haven't tried it yet but I might tomorrow and see how tough it is. I don't have the greatest execution but ill never know unless I try lol

Any chance of the OP being updated now?

Or if someone wants to put everything they’ve posted in one place, some of you have put in a lot of work and as of writing Kotal doesn’t even have a stickied thread.

Last edited:
This.

I've been doing F24/B22 xx kahn cut, dash, 12 xx cmd grab. 8 less damage but much easier execution, and it works well on all hitboxes. If you do F12 xx kahn cut, it's harder to connect the 12 xx cmd grab on females. For that you're better off doing F12 xx cmd grab on them
Okay so it's good to hear someone else doing this as well because that other combo would NOT confirm even on big hitboxes such as Shao Kahn, Kung Lao, and even Jax.